Dunlop Roadsmarts on the LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

Dunlop Roadsmarts on the LT

With all the talk of tire options on the LT's on this forum.I'd like to add to it.(Oh No) your thinking.But as far as comparing the Metzelers bias ply, longer lasting mileage, but sacrifice traction to a point. And a Radial sport tour tire. The Dunlop roadsmart 2's (that i now have) I know about longer lasting mileage of the Metz. I will trade traction and stability of good radial over longer lasting mileage of a bias ply any day.I went thru the Dragon in september of 2012. After i put the Roadsmarts on. WOW. They stick like glue. They get hot,.. And the warmer they got ,the better.I still have yet to find their traction limits. At the end of the dragon.They looked like a Nascar tire after a few laps , The tread rippled up. Yea.They won't last long with that kinda riding everyday.But i don't ride like that everyday.And the wet traction.YEA.They inspire confidence,they evacuate some water. The Metzelers always felt squrmish to me.Let's put it this way.I would be a little timid doing things on the Metzelers that i've done on the roadsmarts.I'll see how many miles i get out of em. But if i get 8-10K .I'd be happy.Stay tuned....

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 12:39 pm

Re: Dunlop Roadsmarts on the LT

Well James, I am glad you have found a tire that you like and I hope it works out well for you. Is the load rating high enough for the LT? I would want to be sure of that before I spent too much time on my knee sliders.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 78 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm

Incoming!!!!

post #4 of 78 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 1:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216
The Dunlop roadsmart 2's (that i now have) I know about longer lasting mileage of the Metz. I will trade traction and stability of good radial over longer lasting mileage of a bias ply any day.I went thru the Dragon in september of 2012. After i put the Roadsmarts on. WOW. They stick like glue. They get hot,.. And the warmer they got ,the better.I still have yet to find their traction limits. At the end of the dragon.They looked like a Nascar tire after a few laps , The tread rippled up. They inspire confidence,they evacuate some water. But if i get 8-10K .I'd be happy.Stay tuned....
If they last that long and you don't have blow out. They are rated 73 W and the LT requires a 79 V rated tire. That is why you see the heat and the torn up tread. She isn't up to the task of the load capacity required for the LT. But to each his own I say. Good luck.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 78 Old Feb 2nd, 2013, 11:14 pm

Radial tires on the rear of an LT have caused sidewall wear from the tire rubbing the swingarm. I think you can add another spacer (or two) to prevent this, but radials still aren't recommended for the LT. One reason is that most don't have the 79V weight rating and reinforcement the LT requires. IF you just HAVE to run a radial, Avon makes one. I don't think they last very long, from what I've read here.

BTW, listen carefully when John Zeiler "speaks". He (and a number of others around here) is the forum's version of EF Hutton.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #6 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 8:07 am

The tires get hot because the sidewalls aren't reinforced. The LT being so heavy requires the extra reinforcement to stop the extra movement in the sidwalls which causes friction. Heat is the enemy of the tire. Its a safety issue. Dunlop did make tires for the LT but I don't think they do any more. They had a problem with quality and many of them would expand into the swing arm. Nothing bad may happen but why risk it when you don't have to. God be with you J216

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 9:09 am
Super Moderator

In the early days I ran the Bridgestone Radials - unfortunately it was my ecperience that after
running them hard on roads like the Dragon they would eventually delaminate or start to hit
the swing arm.

I now run Bridgestone Bias Ply - however after running them hard they will cup quickly on
roads line the Dragon but they at least are not delaminating.

Pictures show tire that delaminated on the interior - plys letting loose and allowing the exterior
of the tire to grow

Be careful running radials and tires with improper weight ratings - there are very few things
that can take you out on the LT but tires is one of them!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #8 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 9:23 am Thread Starter

They have a few write ups of tests done on them.Mounting them on everything from a CBR to K1600GLT.They show them on a K1600. They were made for touring .Besides.I don't knee drag every day.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #9 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 9:43 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

True but I'll bet they did not put them on an LT. The 1600 is lighter than the LT. Just want to be informed so you can make a good choice.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 9:47 am

I don't know anything about you or about tires. I just pray that you know what you are doing if you use a tire not rated for the LT. I don't want to hear about you getting hurt or worse. Please listen to these guys! It may be worth searching out some previous threads on the subject, there is much knowledge and experience spread throughout.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #11 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 4:25 pm
Super Moderator

Oh I also forgot to mention - a few years back we had a tire engineer (T.J. Tennent) from
Bridgestone give a presentation at the CCR - one of his opening points was in reference to
Insurance Companies.

He stated that tire manufacturers, like Bridgestone, are getting more and more calls from the
insurance companies to verify that proper tires are on the bikes in those instances where
tires may be considered a factor in an accident / claim. They are checking to see if the
recommended tires are on the bike. Insurance companies may not provide coverage in
those cases where the improper tires are found to be on a motorcycle.

T. J. went onto say that the wheels and rims are designed such that if the bike came with
radial ply tires stick with radials - if they are designed for bias ply stick with bias ply. He
stated that the K1200LT wheel was the only wheel in the market place designed to handle
both radial and bias ply tires.

I believe that BMW since around 2003 does not recommend radial ply tires on the LT . . . and
Metzler and Bridgestone both stopped making them.

Be careful - rant off!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #12 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 6:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For what it's worth, I know what the inside of a tire looks like. I used to build them. You are risking your life by running a tire which is not load rated per the manufacturers recommendations. It's ok to run a higher rated tire. It is not ok to run a lower rated tire. You will likely only suffer a very short tread life, but if circumstances are bad, you could suffer a very short life yourself. However as John said, to each their own.

post #13 of 78 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

The tire has a rating of 805.the LT weight is 779lbs All of the weight isn't on 1 tire. So.How isn't it load rated? .I don't overload the bike, I don't put 1000 lbs of gear on it.My buddy who ran the Dragon with me rides a wing,his tire got warm too,YEA we ran it hard.He's been running bridgestone radials,2nd set in 3 or 4 years. Besides The 1600 isn't that much lighter than the LT.They wouldn't put them on the LT for the test,They don't make the bike anymore.I took photos of the tire recently front & back.Now with 2K on em.They are wearing nice. I'll report when they get 6 or 7K on them.Then the verdict will be in.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #14 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Quote:
The tire has a rating of 805.the LT weight is 779lbs All of the weight isn't on 1 tire. So.How isn't it load rated? .I don't overload the bike, I don't put 1000 lbs of gear on it.My buddy who ran the Dragon with me rides a wing,his tire got warm too,YEA we ran it hard.He's been running bridgestone radials,2nd set in 3 or 4 years. Besides The 1600 isn't that much lighter than the LT.They wouldn't put them on the LT for the test,They don't make the bike anymore.I took photos of the tire recently front & back.Now with 2K on em.They are wearing nice. I'll report when they get 6 or 7K on them.Then the verdict will be in.
The "verdict" was in years ago.

You would do well to tuck your testiballs between your legs and listen to riders here that have millions of miles on LT's and many different brands of tires over 13 years - all with the proper rating. Many that DO have the proper load rating are still not satisfactory or safe. This is real world experience.

You are not only risking YOUR life by running tires NOT specified but others as well.

I guess you don't believe anyone, but here's what can happen to a correctly LOAD RATED Bridgestone:

Knock yourself out, dood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridgestone failure.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	37603  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 4th, 2013 at 12:18 pm.
post #15 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 1:08 pm

Mamma says, Stupid is as stupid does...

And his headstone will read..

" He never let anyone tell him what to do."

A catastrophic tire failure on an LT can be a death sentence...

And the LT weighs 865 pounds DRY !

By the time you get on it and fill it with fluids and a battery you are well over a thousand pounds...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #16 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 1:24 pm

James, you don't need to listen to all these experienced riders here.
Just keep asking the question until you get the answer you were hoping for and go with it.
(sarcasm intended).
post #17 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Quote:
The tire has a rating of 805.the LT weight is 779lbs All of the weight isn't on 1 tire. So.How isn't it load rated? ...

Well, fuel, oil, coolant etc will get you up around 830 lbs, and then you might actually want to sit on the bike yourself and you're the only one here that knows how much that adds. I assume I roll down the road at a tad less than 1100lbs by the time I put fluids, me and my gear and a few odds and ends (tools, gear etc) in the various storage places. More if I have packed gear for a trip.

So granted that the ~300 lbs over the rating is not all resting on one tire but when you consider the dynamic loading is more than the static load I would imagine you could reach the dynamic threshold of an 805lb rating pretty quickly - surely there is an engineer in this group that could give us some mathematical quantification.

If you're just running to the store or work and back probably never a problem, but when you start fooling around at the limits of the performance envelope, not only is there in increased risk of failure, but the risk of damage to man and machine is also drastically increased. It's only a risk of course and we each manage our own in the way we see fit but it is something worth considering.

stepping off now to watch.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #18 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 2:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
James, you don't need to listen to all these experienced riders here.
Just keep asking the question until you get the answer you were hoping for and go with it.(sarcasm intended).
+1 now if this was Facebook I would just hit the like button. I think Frank has the real answer stated right there.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #19 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I think I'll root for James, hoping he proves himself correct. If he wants to go out and experiment with different tires, than more power to him. I'll gladly read either his findings of maximum mileage/tread life or his accident report. As they say- no pain, no gain.

I'm greatly interested in other viable options for tires for the LT, and if James wants to be the test pilot, then ride on!

He does have a good point about the tire not having to support the whole weight of the bike, in so much as I've pondered the same point, though I've never bothered to do the research. It would be insightful to hear from a mechanical engineer/tire expert re: this matter.

However, what is painful for me is reading his poor grammar and composition in his initial posting of this thread. I had to give more effort than anyone should have to give for an informal post on a public forum.

I also see a little contradiction in his posts. He raves about how well these tires did after the dragon, but later, he attempts to defend his position by saying he doesn't plan to knee-drag everyday (or something similar). The tires need to be able to perform and endure for the purpose the bike was designed for. The tires need to be able to do a little of this and a little of that on a fairly regular interval with a decent amount of longevity, and as they say, your mileage may vary.

Let's be respectful by keeping the name calling for those really good mud-slinging topics. If someone is perceived to be an idiot, then be polite and let him figure it out for himself.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #20 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ok, here's the deal. You never load a tire at 100 percent of it's rating. It should be at about 50 percent. Think about it. Didn't you pull some "Gs" in those corners? 1/2 a "G" plus bike plus 200 pounds equals about 1500 pounds plus.

Just as a 15 amp circuit will not carry a 15 amp load very long, a 700 pound rated tire will not carry 700 pounds very long under stressful conditions. Tires are rated for maximum load. That's not a RECOMMENDED load for daily use. BUT.......... it's your choice. You may be ok. I recently saw a Metzler 880 "B" rated tire which had been accidentally mounted on the back of an LT. It was beginning to delaminate after only 1500 miles. Good luck.

post #21 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 8:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
The "verdict" was in years ago.

You would do well to tuck your testiballs between your legs and listen to riders here that have millions of miles on LT's and many different brands of tires over 13 years - all with the proper rating. Many that DO have the proper load rating are still not satisfactory or safe. This is real world experience.

You are not only risking YOUR life by running tires NOT specified but others as well.

I guess you don't believe anyone, but here's what can happen to a correctly LOAD RATED Bridgestone:

Knock yourself out, dood.
You know. Theres really no need for insults.As i recall you've done this with another member.concerning radio repair. What is your problem.???

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #22 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Lighten up Ron!

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #23 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell
Lighten up Ron!
Not a snowball's chance in hell that I'm EVER going to "lighten up" when it comes to motorcycle safety.

His *recommendation* is foolhardy, spurious and consists of downright ignorant proselytizing rhetoric from an individual that has been caught with his pants down around his ankles.

He doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Gee,someone actually said that! (although the several hundred others that have been following this thread have probably thought that).

I really need to learn how to express my inner feelings better, doncha' think?

Perhaps get in touch with my feminine side.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 4th, 2013 at 9:23 pm.
post #24 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:25 pm

The tape Ron, the tape!!!!!
post #25 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:39 pm

The key point is to understand that the rear tire you want to buy the 79V rear tire. This tire was designed for the BMW K1200LT (Light Truck) and has a load rating of 968 pounds and the front load rating is approximately 580 pounds.

I'm out.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Last edited by mwnahas; Feb 4th, 2013 at 11:07 pm.
post #26 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
The tape Ron, the tape!!!!!
Ahhh yes, the 3M, outdoor rated UV resistant tape with the really GOOD adhesive.

Seems that I've hit the end of the role a bit prematurely Frank. Dang.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #27 of 78 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Oh boy.
post #28 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 1:08 am

Hey, I think I have a relevant question here:

If you put "roadsmarts" on the wrong bike, and they failed, what would they then be called?
post #29 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 3:23 am

I disagree with everything posted so far on this thread. Except for what Frank said.

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #30 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 8:30 am

Can't we talk about something everyone agrees upon.....like OIL, for instance?

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #31 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 8:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwing
Can't we talk about something everyone agrees upon.....like OIL, for instance?
Yes discussing oil, tires, seats, it's all snake oil.......

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #32 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 9:52 am

Wow. what a thread!
Here's how I see the data...

The Roadsmart with the 73 load rating is good for 805 lbs
The LT spec tire with the 79 load rating is good for 963 lbs.
The difference is 158 lbs.
That's about the weight of a passenger (which is primarily over the rear tire).

The passenger and luggage load limit on the LT is 470lbs.
The axle load limits for the LT are 450F/886R
BMW spec'd ~10% margin between the max axle load and the rear tire capability.
Reducing the max axle load 10% from 805lbs gives equal or greater margin than the spec tire to the spec axle load. That's only 80lbs. About half the weight of the average passenger.

So there is unarguably less margin when using the Roadsmart compared to the total capability of the LT, but so long as there is not a passenger on the bike, there is still some positive margin left.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #33 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 1:07 pm

What the heck do the Goldwing people use as those are even heavier pigs, especially the front end weight?
post #34 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 1:42 pm

Hmm... I really wouldn't like to play with the insurance companies (if something happens) even though we in Europe do not have more lawyers than engineers (like you do at the other side of the big pond)...

Born to be wild so why not

post #35 of 78 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude
What the heck do the Goldwing people use as those are even heavier pigs, especially the front end weight?

I'm guessing the overall tire sizes for the Goldwing are larger and between the vast numbers of them on the road, along with the possibility of other bikes using the same tire size, there's more demand and therefore, more supply, i.e. choices.

Knowing BMW, their calculations probably incorporated a unique tire size, and with the load rating required, along with the number of these bikes on the road, there's possibility not enough potential profit for several manufacturers to get involved and battle for market share.

That's what I'm guessin'.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #36 of 78 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 6:11 am

My Goldwing pal uses Radial Dunlop Elite 3's. I had bias Elite 3's put on my road king and loved them. My wing pal gets around a season out of them. (about 19,000 miles)

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #37 of 78 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 8:21 am

Talking Re: Dunlop Roadsmarts on the LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude

Car tire...now let the dick swinging begin.

EZ-RDR55
The opinions expressed herein are mine, and do not represent that of any other humanoid past, present or future on this or any other planet.

'95 H-D FXDWG
'06 Honda CRF250X
'04 KTM 450EXC
'97 Honda XR-600R
'04 K1200LT (Sold)
'07 K1200GT (Sold)
'09 Wee-Strom DL-650ABS
post #38 of 78 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_rdr55
Car tire...now let the dick swinging begin.
Thats what my Wing buddies use.
post #39 of 78 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I axed Goodyear/Dunlop whazzup with tires on my LT. Lengthy reply included this:

"Unfortunately, we do not have bias fitment for your BMW."
post #40 of 78 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
I axed Goodyear/Dunlop whazzup with tires on my LT. Lengthy reply included this:

"Unfortunately, we do not have bias fitment for your BMW."

Yeah, sounds like they don't have the know-how to build a radial tire with a strong enough sidewall for this application, and they don't want to spend the $$ for R&D to make one, nor do they think they'll get an acceptable ROI for any $$ spent on making a bias-ply one.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #41 of 78 Old Feb 6th, 2013, 11:29 pm

For some reason I've come to view getting the wrong load rated tire on the rear of the LT as rather an easy mistake to make if one is not aware that few tires are rated for the load the Big Girl puts on 'em.

If anyone were to try and design a way to specifically designated exact tire specifications in a more confusing way than is done now, they might have to combine the world of "8 bits to a byte" with the world of representing a wire with 00.

Not being someone who regularily thinks people can present idiot qualities, I lack an accurate defination of what constitutes and idiot. But I doubt making either a simple or common mistake is a harbinger of idocy.

Perhaps I can reserect the spirit of nothing but helpfulness in our community with one simple word--A M O S O I L. :-))

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #42 of 78 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 9:02 am

Thanks, Becket! Your misspelling of 'AMSOIL' gave me a new perspective and helped me to feel a whole lot better about a lot of things. So much so, that I'm not even going to point that out......

(The jury's still out on 'resurrect'.)

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #43 of 78 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 3:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Dunlop Roadsmarts on the LT

Sooo..... having read all the back and forth commentary on what tires are proper for an LT, if you had to replace both front and rear tires today, what would each of you opt for, based on the year of your bike (mine is an '07)??
post #44 of 78 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003
Sooo..... having read all the back and forth commentary on what tires are proper for an LT, if you had to replace both front and rear tires today, what would each of you opt for, based on the year of your bike (mine is an '07)??
What kind of driving will you be doing? (i.e. slab or curves)

One up or Two up?

Wet or dry surface?

Do you want sticky or mileage?

Will you check pressures often, or not?

The question you just asked is sort of like asking what kind of car one should get... One make of tire does not, will not and won't ever be the panacea for all driving conditions that some folks will try and make you believe...

You have to make the choice on the tire you will use and it should be based on all of the above factors. No one should ever base their decision on what "Handle Bar" Mikey says because he rides hell bent for leather.

That being said...

For wet / curves / slush, I like Avon's - if, and only if, I check my pressure diligently and I want to stick to the road

For wet / curves / highway, I like Bridgestones - if, and only if, I am not so diligent about checking my pressures and/or I would like a little better mileage out of the tire and I am not so concerned about sticky

For doing the super slab, I like Metzlers - if, and only if, I want long miles out of a tire

and I have an '06...

I could go on and on and on and on.... <sigh>

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #45 of 78 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 4:03 pm

Oh Lordy. Can of worms has been opened.

I can tell you what tires are on mine. Metzler ME880. I bought mine used in December with these on it.

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT
post #46 of 78 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Load rating, load rating, load rating.......
Whatever fits as long as it meets the
MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED LOAD RATING.

post #47 of 78 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 12:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker46514
Oh Lordy. Can of worms has been opened.

I can tell you what tires are on mine. Metzler ME880. I bought mine used in December with these on it.
Me too! Mine came with a new ME880 front tire (nubs still everywhere even centre of the tread) barely rode on. I just ordered a new rear ME880. Mount and balance when it gets here.
post #48 of 78 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 1:39 am

somebody on a recent thread about Avons being on sale claimed he's got 41K miles on his Avon Super 2 Ultras for his LT and apparently still counting.

I thought these were radials?

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #49 of 78 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 7:35 am

I recently went back to Bstone after running Mets for a while. For me they are a lot more FUN.

Prior to replacing the rear tire I was spending a lot of time adjusting my Olins and playing with air pressure trying to get rid of the feeling that I had on my HD when I put a springer on the front and it turned out one of the neck bearings was slightly worn.

The first thing I noticed riding home with the new Bstone was that feeling was gone. I'm assuming it has something to do with putting a lot of miles of the rear over flat roads, sometimes many miles on an interstate--the rear was pretty much flat instead of round.

My guess is that cornering forced me onto the transition from flat surface onto the round outside of the tire while the front tire was still round. ??

Unfortunately, I can't report getting any more appreciable milage on the Metz than I've gotten on Bstones.

Looking forward to hitting some twisties on my way back to summer in New England.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #50 of 78 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
Unfortunately, I can't report getting any more appreciable milage on the Metz than I've gotten on Bstones.
Are you saying the Metz didn't give you more mileage than the BStones?

And 41,000 sounds WAYYYYY high

Ean

2003 BMW K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in