BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And a bright good morning from the Heartland. In contrast our warm yesterday, if you leave your coffee outside for a few minutes this morning, you'll need an auger to get back to the liquid.

Got a couple minutes on my hands, and if you've gone this far, I'll waste another moment or two....

Got a Zumo 550 on the RT at the moment. Have it rigged so that I can move it back and forth between the mounts on the RT and the V-Star. While there are people with bigger problems in life, this is something of a nuisance, but not a big deal.

Nevertheless, think I might pick up a Zumo 665 for the RT, and leave the 550 on the V-Star. I'll enjoy the mp3 player, maps, and data on both, and might even activate the XM radio on the 665, at least to try it for a while. However, aside from the convenience of not having to swap the unit back and forth between bikes, the 665 brings a little something else to the mix - if I understand it correctly, unlike the 550, the 665 controls are entirely touchscreen - which would mean that they'd be illuminated and more readily usable at night - rather than the dark side buttons of the 550. Have I got that right?

Which makes me think of another minor area for improvement - doesn't seem like it would be a bad idea to have some type of illumination for the handgrip controls at night - translucent buttons with very soft glow, or something. Might have to suggest that to Mr. BMW.

And that's all from here for now.

Best, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Trojan said:
And a bright good morning from the Heartland. In contrast our warm yesterday, if you leave your coffee outside for a few minutes this morning, you'll need an auger to get back to the liquid.

Got a couple minutes on my hands, and if you've gone this far, I'll waste another moment or two....

Got a Zumo 550 on the RT at the moment. Have it rigged so that I can move it back and forth between the mounts on the RT and the V-Star. While there are people with bigger problems in life, this is something of a nuisance, but not a big deal.

Nevertheless, think I might pick up a Zumo 665 for the RT, and leave the 550 on the V-Star. I'll enjoy the mp3 player, maps, and data on both, and might even activate the XM radio on the 665, at least to try it for a while. However, aside from the convenience of not having to swap the unit back and forth between bikes, the 665 brings a little something else to the mix - if I understand it correctly, unlike the 550, the 665 controls are entirely touchscreen - which would mean that they'd be illuminated and more readily usable at night - rather than the dark side buttons of the 550. Have I got that right?

Which makes me think of another minor area for improvement - doesn't seem like it would be a bad idea to have some type of illumination for the handgrip controls at night - translucent buttons with very soft glow, or something. Might have to suggest that to Mr. BMW.

And that's all from here for now.

Best, John
YEah, it's doable, like the backlit keyboards on Mac Book Pros. Once you have it, anything else sucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
Well, I use a 550 but do sometimes wish for full screen control.
Regards your thoughts on illuminated switches, IMHO: You should be able to select, and use them blindfolded. After all, there are not that many, and it's only your safety and survival. As a licensed pilot also with military experience flying (Hueys, Bravo model) I would strongly suggest get familiar with them by blind touch.
Some time back in one thread there was a discussion on when you shut down--do you use the key or the engine kill switch. The consensus was practice makes instinctive reaction happen, which is exactly what you want in an emergency. Just suppose you lost suddenly your low beam on a dark night; when you know by instinct where that high beam switch is you wont have to take your eyes off of a dark road, and hopefully live to complain about the high price of the new light!
Just my thoughts!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
Trojan,


You've got it right. The 665 is full touch screen. It changes it's contrast theme from day to night, I have had no problem seeing it and the touch screen is very responsive and easy to use!

I have it paired with a J& M Bluetooth speakers and in helmet mic. The Bluetooth stereo has astoundingly good sound quality. It also pairs with my BVlackberry Storm.

It all works like a charm!

I have mine mounted on a BMR Co-pilot shelf and have XM, Weather, Traffic & Red Light Camera Warning activated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance, but this thread has raised several questions in my mind.
When you say the 665 is full touch screen, is that the same as saying it is
"touch screen only?" Can it be activated with the BMW multi-controller?

In my mind (ah-oo), I'm thinking I want to forego the factory radio and GPS
and get one device with GPS, Mp3, and XM....and have it integrate with
the multi-controller. Is there such a device?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,564 Posts
JonfromCB said:
Please forgive my ignorance, but this thread has raised several questions in my mind.
When you say the 665 is full touch screen, is that the same as saying it is
"touch screen only?" Can it be activated with the BMW multi-controller?

In my mind (ah-oo), I'm thinking I want to forego the factory radio and GPS
and get one device with GPS, Mp3, and XM....and have it integrate with
the multi-controller. Is there such a device?
Since mine is on an '09, I don't know if it will work with the multi controller.

You might try the www.zumoforums.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
You don't get the multi-controller wheel except on radio equipped bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
The multi-controller controls the functions of the factory audio system only. It can be used to control volume, change radio stations and advance MP3 tracks stored on the USB stick (that can be plugged in to the connector in the radio box), as well as control an iPod if you buy the optional cable for ~$80. I have not seen any integration that can be done with a GPS or other external device.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
blainem said:
The multi-controller controls the functions of the factory audio system only. It can be used to control volume, change radio stations and advance MP3 tracks stored on the USB stick (that can be plugged in to the connector in the radio box), as well as control an iPod if you buy the optional cable for ~$80. I have not seen any integration that can be done with a GPS or other external device.
I have no doubts that is correct.....but, I also have hopes that is changing
very quickly. BMW indicates that the multi-controller integrates with
the GPS on the new GLT (per the latest BMW Owner's magizine) and
there is some indication/information that BMW has interruped R1200RT
production due to some Radio/communication changes/updates.
Does anyone have information about what those changes are?
I would like to believe that since the RT and new 1600s use the
same multi-controller and GPS, it makes sense for BMW to
have them perform the same functions on both bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JonfromCB said:
I have no doubts that is correct.....but, I also have hopes that is changing
very quickly. BMW indicates that the multi-controller integrates with
the GPS on the new GLT (per the latest BMW Owner's magizine) and
there is some indication/information that BMW has interruped R1200RT
production due to some Radio/communication changes/updates.
Does anyone have information about what those changes are?
I would like to believe that since the RT and new 1600s use the
same multi-controller and GPS, it makes sense for BMW to
have them perform the same functions on both bikes.

Morning Jon. Don't know the answer, but I've been following your question with interest. As much as I enjoy surfing through the mp3 or XM radio in the car, I won't want to do that on the bike by taking a hand off the bar and messing around with the touchscreen - any more than necessary. However, if the controller is on the handgrip - well, that could change the equation a bit.

Best, John
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top