BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Zumo 665LM mounted to my 07 RT on the Touratech locking mount. I am upgrading to the XT along with the Touratech locking mount for that unit.

The origional Zumo 665LM is wired into the bike. I was wondering if anyone knew if the wiring is any different for the XT. I was hoping to simply splice the new unit power cables into the old Zumo power cables.

Has anyone else done a similar upgrade? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
Three concerns that I'd have:
1) Does the XT power supply spec's match the 665LM?
2) Do both units power connection pins match?
3) Power supplies do wear out, and they don't always wear out by going cold, dark, and silent. They can put out inconsistent power. I wouldn't want my new GPS going bonkers for reasons unknown, when the reason is simply that the old GPS power supply is on it's last legs.

I'd replace the 665LM power adapter with the proper, new XT one, even they were functionally identical.

No idea bout the XT in a Touratech mount, i.e. I'd suspect that it would work fine.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Three concerns that I'd have:
1) Does the XT power supply spec's match the 665LM?
2) Do both units power connection pins match?
3) Power supplies do wear out, and they don't always wear out by going cold, dark, and silent. They can put out inconsistent power. I wouldn't want my new GPS going bonkers for reasons unknown, when the reason is simply that the old GPS power supply is on it's last legs.

I'd replace the 665LM power adapter with the proper, new XT one, even they were functionally identical.

No idea bout the XT in a Touratech mount, i.e. I'd suspect that it would work fine.
Yep
You’re absolutely right
I’ll have the whole thing replaced with the xt power connectors
Thanks again

Reactions: Scott9999

·
IBR# 366
12,210 Posts
The zūmo XT mount and power cable are different from the 665.

The zūmo XT power cable just needs +12V and Ground. There's an internal power rectifier that brings the voltage to what's needed for the GPS.

You should be able to connect the XT power cable to the same place as your 665.

Reactions: Scott9999

·
Registered
388 Posts
As Ken says connect it to the same place as the 665. The box min the XT cable is the voltage dropper I believe so make sure you keep that inline.
The Touratech mount works well with it, Make sure you have the later Garmin mount and the later Garmin cable.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As Ken says connect it to the same place as the 665. The box min the XT cable is the voltage dropper I believe so make sure you keep that inline.
The Touratech mount works well with it, Make sure you have the later Garmin mount and the later Garmin cable.
This post has pictures of the new and old types.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
Those should have come with his Zumo XT package, at least, they did with mine. (I also bought a second mount, so that I could install the Zumo using their provided ball mount with an after market suction cup mount, in my car.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts