BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals. Finally emerging from winter here in the Heartland - for the moment. Phew.

For those who have a Zumo 665 and XM radio, I understand that you have to mount the external antenna somewhere on the bike. Where did you put the puck?

Thanks.
Best, John

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I wound up putting a tray on. Now, to activate the XM and the XM WeatherNav stuff...

Looks like warmer weather in the Heartland. Briefly.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Because I do not care for the look of the puck, I had it installed inside the nose by the instrument cluster - never had an issue with it there re signal strength and I never have to look at it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My 2720 is on a stalk and ball mount in the left aux mirror hole. The puck is velcrowed to my right brake reservoir. The puck has been mounted on so many bikes and differant surfaces the magnet got screwed up.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lopaca said:
Because I do not care for the look of the puck, I had it installed inside the nose by the instrument cluster - never had an issue with it there re signal strength and I never have to look at it.
This sounds appealing. Got a couple questions - where is it in there, and also, does the orientation of the puck matter?

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
158 Posts
I tried about every conceivable place to stick that thing, from underneath the fairing to on top of the tank and was not happy with the performance. The issue was always the same in that it would loose signal and then come back. I finally decided to fabricate a small plate to fit over the reservoir on the right handle bar. The pucks bottom is magnetic so it sticks to the plate very well and most important is that I'm getting a signal all the time with no interruptions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Trojan said:
This sounds appealing. Got a couple questions - where is it in there, and also, does the orientation of the puck matter?

Thanks.

John
It is on the backside and above the headlight assembly, directly behind the instrument cluster. It is attached with the heavy duty velcro strips. I have not had any issues re reception, but I have to say that I can't compare it to having it outside. I ride with a guy who has his on the outside and on those times when I lost reception and mentioned it to him he also had lost reception - mountain forest areas.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lopaca said:
It is on the backside and above the headlight assembly, directly behind the instrument cluster. It is attached with the heavy duty velcro strips. I have not had any issues re reception, but I have to say that I can't compare it to having it outside. I ride with a guy who has his on the outside and on those times when I lost reception and mentioned it to him he also had lost reception - mountain forest areas.
Thanks Lopaca - I'll probably leave mine on the shelf for now - though if I could mount it somewhere inside the tupperware with no loss of signal, that would be appealing. Still pretty cold here in the Heartland, with ice and snow, so won't get out much for a little while - but putzing around in the garage with the XM and the XM WeatherNav, I can see I'm gonna like this.

Best, John

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
sdan451 said:
I tried about every conceivable place to stick that thing, from underneath the fairing to on top of the tank and was not happy with the performance. The issue was always the same in that it would loose signal and then come back. I finally decided to fabricate a small plate to fit over the reservoir on the right handle bar. The pucks bottom is magnetic so it sticks to the plate very well and most important is that I'm getting a signal all the time with no interruptions.
I've had the same issues with mine and will soon mount it in a similar fashion. Success with other locations has always been hit or miss based on terrain and location. I thought my install on my LT was fine until the return leg of a cross country ride. Reception on the west bound run over the same road was terrible. It's all about line of sight with the satellite.

·
Registered
158 Posts
mjordans2000 said:
I've had the same issues with mine and will soon mount it in a similar fashion. Success with other locations has always been hit or miss based on terrain and location. I thought my install on my LT was fine until the return leg of a cross country ride. Reception on the west bound run over the same road was terrible. It's all about line of sight with the satellite.
When I was testing different locations to put it I would go out and make sure that I rode the bike in all directions. Like you I could ride lets say west and it would work great, but when I would travel east the reception was very poor. I even stuck it on several places on the tank with velcro, one of which was next to the gas fill and it worked very good there until I would reach to the Zumo 665 and change the channel. Just the act of my arm over the antenna would cause the signal to disappear which I can understand. I'm very happy with my final location and as it turned out it was an easy fix. I had the Zumo 550/XM30 on an LT that we had and I do believe that the XM40 and 665 is more finicky about location than the the 550/XM30 combo.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I have a BMR Co-pilot with 2 accessory shelfs. Zumo 665 in the cneter on a Touratech adjustable locking mount. Valentine 1 on the right shelf. XM 40 on the left.

Works perfectly!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts