BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I had decided to use my Iphone for navigation since it worked okay on a 1700 mile trip I did in August, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I think I need to stay away from Ebay unless I am looking for something specific.

Anyway, I picked up this used Zumo for $499.00 (free shipping). Everything was there and it looked like new. The seller said he only used it a few times and it shows. Most of the cables were unused including the motorcycle wiring harness.

I have been using Ram mounts on my brake and clutch master cylinders for my cell phone holder and my cup holder (never really thought I'd carry coffee on a motorcycle), but with the GPS, I wanted it in my direct line of sight so I bought a BMR shelf (only $85).

Mounting was easy. I had to remove the windshield and drill a few holes in the BMR shelf to attach my 1" Ram mount. I also mounted the XM antenna on the shelf but it may be too close to the GPS unit, not sure yet.

Playing around with the unit in the garage, I like it. No problem connecting to my Iphone and my Bluetooth in my helmet. Seems to work like it should. I like the idea of being able to plan my route on my laptop and then send it to the GPS unit. Planning a route on an Iphone was not easy!

Not sure if I will use the XM radio or not. I may give it a try! Anyway, here is a dark garage photo of the unit installed. I still need to finish by putting the map light back in, but I am looking for ways to run the GPS wiring so I do not have to drill or cut into the fairing. I think I have a solution by running the GPS and Antenna wires into the front fairing from the top so nothing runs into the map light mounting area (that's how I have it now so the map light will not fit back into mounting location).

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I got a Zumo 550 on Ebay last year. It came with the car cradle and 2 bike cradles, and the XM30 satellite radio antenna. I got it for $450.00.Well worth the price. I do get the satellite radio during riding season and suspend it in the off season. I went with the Ram mount system in which I have both the J&M CB and the Zumo mounted on the offset mount clutch cover. BTW. Did you tap power from your maplight? That's what I did. Got some double blade connectors from radio shack.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice job.

On my 2000 LT I mounted a Zumo 550 GPS onto a BMR shelf using the Touratech mount. The mount is stabilized against vibration using rubber type spacer/washers. The Zumo can be locked into the cradle when the LT is parked. I added a sun shield since I ride in Florida, (the sun would make the screen almost impossible to see). The power cable from the mount is run down through the BMR shelf through a rubber grommet, then through a small hole (with grommet) I drilled into the dash next to the courtesy light and continues back to the fuzeblock power connector located near the battery. I had the tupperware off at the time so it was relatively easy to thread the wire through.
I placed heat resistance cable cover over the wire for added insurance. The system works well for me. See attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

Wayne,

I like your set up and in a few months when I do a complete turn up, I plan to install a similar set up. I would like to have the ability to lock the gps to the bike.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts