BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Zumo 550 mounted on the K1200LT

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  doios 
#1 ·
Im sure this has been asked and answered before (but heck if i can find it). I have a Zumo 550 and associated stuff (craddle, power line, etc) and wish to fit it to my forthcoming 2002 K1200LT. I have asked a local bike spares person and all they can come up with is a mount which fits in the unused mirror hole on the grip - but this is not what I want. I would prefer it mounted centrally - perhaps like this one:

The problem is - where would I get the required bracket from? Someone has suggested that the BMW ZUMO satnav bracket is the same as this and is available to buy. Is this true? Or does anyone else have a supplier for the required bracket? Im not good at fabrication so I cant make one.

The other question is where to connect the power to for the Zumo 550? I have never dug around on the bike so have no knowledge of where to draw the power from. Can anyone provide information on this?

Finally, how to plug the audio output of the Garmin in to the sound system on the LT. Once again, I have no idea how this might be accomplished :( but I would like the sound of either the satnav voice or mp3s on the garmin to come out of the K1200LTs speakers. Can anyone provide any advice?

See less See more
#2 ·
The way I set mine up was to use the co-pilot shelf as the mounting point and the Starcom1 digital as the interface.

#3 ·
I just set my zumo 550 up on my 06 lt. I used the bracket that had the navaigator 2 mounted on it and ran the power cable under the radio down to the battery. I am sure you can purchase the navigator mounting brackets from bmw.

#4 ·
As far as the audio output of the garmin is concerned you have to use a patch cord from the zumo output jack into the aux input jack of the sound system on the motorcycle. Then you can select the aux on the radio and you will hear the garmin audio from your speakers, but be aware when you have your radio selected to aux you will have nothing else coming from the speakers. I like using my bluetooth Scala Rider Q2 to listen to the zumo prompts and use the motorcycle sound for the radio and cd player

#8 ·
If you use the BMR shelf the GPS will be mounted more like a heads up display. No need to look down, taking your eyes off the road to see what is being displayed.

#9 ·
I have a BRM shelf with a ram mount for my Nuvi Ram mount can be found here: http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=6104
I use a cassette adapter to get the sound from the Nuvi to the bike's sound system as mentioned previously. I went with the Nuvi 680 for the wide screen and SD card slot so I can play MP3's from the GPS. Works like a charm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.