BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ZFE box in my bike was recently replaced. Now when I gas up the bike, it doesn't register more that 3/4 full. I think I read somewhere in the forum that the fuel strip is self calibrating. Or should I schedule a trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
First you have to verify the correct Part number was used. It is possible that it is binding at the 3/4 level height. If the dealer replaced it then go back to them. Either way you need to bring it back to them so they can check it out. If you dig into it yourself and break something they will blame you and your out of luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
TeSmSp said:
{snip}...I think I read somewhere in the forum that the fuel strip is self calibrating....{snip}
I don't think that is correct. I believe that your dealer needs to "calibrate". Give them a call and let them know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Strip re-calibrated for free. :) :)

They emptied the gas out, took the strip, which is protected by a plastic holder of some sort, out to dry with compressed air, and then air dry for one or two hours.

It looks like a 12-18 inch long flimsy piece of polyimide material with some strips of copper conductors embedded inside. I noticed some scalloping on the surface, perhaps that is how the gasoline contacts the conductors. After checking the heater conductors and then the measurement conductors, they declared it good to go. It was around 38-45 ohms on one side and then 2.5k ohms on the other side.

I didn't stick around to watch the strip dry, so they loaned me a 99 R1100RT (Ohlins equipped) which ran very nicely on the way home. Three hours later they called to say it was ready.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts