BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have not been able to ride since racing a refrigerator down some stairs back in November of 2012. I have what I hope is my final surgery later this month. My wife can attest to the fact that after averaging 25 to 30K miles per year bikes, I have been pretty grumpy riding in cages. I am going to look at a 2004 Z4 3.0i with 26k on the clock tomorrow and wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of this vehicle. I have test driven a couple and the 3.0 really put a grin on my chin.:dance:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Back in 2005 I took a new Z4 for a test drive. Great machine but I ended up with a Crossfire convertible instead--although a Chrysler, it is a Mercedes underneath. Better ride/comfort than the Z4 (imho) and was 9 grand cheaper. Has been a great ride for my wife and I. ( Had back surgery 12 years ago and two up on two wheels is out of my comfort range.)

A couple of years ago I did take a Z5 for a test drive--fantastic! Almost traded in the Crossfire. (Would have but the XF is paid off!). If you can swing it financially, take the time to try the Z5.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I raced fridge down the basement steps at age 19 that fractured a rib and punctured a lung. Could of been worse. Hope you get back on two wheels soon.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
I sat in one once thinking I wanted something a little sportier than my 330Ci convertible. I felt a little cramped. Maybe I just got used to the room but the 330 has plenty of power and with the sport package it handle fantastic. Same engine as your Z4 so you should have a little better performance. I went for comfort, then performance. Enjoy as it is better than triking a bike.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've always thought the Honda S2000 gives a more motorcycle-like experience with an 8000rpm redline engine.

Too bad production stopped in 2009.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I thought about one then I got a Nissan 350Z. 300hp and lots of fun! Oh-and low cost of ownership too!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have held off responding since my experience is with a Z3 Coupe, not the Z4. Since you haven't received much feedback I will way in that I have had mine for 12 years or so and have 99k on the clock without a single problem or slightest inkling to let her go :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Back in 2005 I took a new Z4 for a test drive. Great machine but I ended up with a Crossfire convertible instead--although a Chrysler, it is a Mercedes underneath. Better ride/comfort than the Z4 (imho) and was 9 grand cheaper. Has been a great ride for my wife and I. ( Had back surgery 12 years ago and two up on two wheels is out of my comfort range.)

A couple of years ago I did take a Z5 for a test drive--fantastic! Almost traded in the Crossfire. (Would have but the XF is paid off!). If you can swing it financially, take the time to try the Z5.
It is hard to predict........especially the future!!!

There is no Z5, they may make it in 2018!

So what did you test drive?..............a time machine maybe?????:histerica

·
Registered
55 Posts
My Bad--It was the newer convertible hard top model that I took for the test drive!:bowdown:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
There was a Z8 they made from 1999 to 2003 and it had a 4.9L V8. Looks sharp!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i pulled the trigger on an '04 Z4 3.0 with 26K on the clock. Looks absolutely showroom. Runs like a top, all the bells and whistles though I am already thinking about some farkles. Toook it to Charleston today, 250 miles roundtrip and got over 31 mpg though top speed <70. Both my wife and I found it more comfortable than the MB CLK it replaced.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There was a Z8 they made from 1999 to 2003 and it had a 4.9L V8. Looks sharp!
THAT Z8 is the dream car (but certainly way above my pay grade)! Congrats on the Z4 purchase, hope you love it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
i pulled the trigger on an '04 Z4 3.0 with 26K on the clock. Looks absolutely showroom. Runs like a top, all the bells and whistles though I am already thinking about some farkles. Toook it to Charleston today, 250 miles roundtrip and got over 31 mpg though top speed <70. Both my wife and I found it more comfortable than the MB CLK it replaced.
Pictures, Jeff, Pictures!!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,184 Posts
It looks good on you Jeff!! Well done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts