BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Tues 7-24-2012 5 days of ownership of a 2009 LT. This bike was the first one that I looked at. 12,010 miles seems to have everything. I have a long time friend that has had many BMW's he rides a '04 1200 GT now with 55,000 miles on it. I have been riding since 1969 so am rather seasoned. 15 years ago I bought a 1992 1100 Shadow I havw put 35,000 miles on it.

This LT was the first one I looked at and rode. My buddy always wanted me to ride his bike. Though I knew I would want a BMW. I've put it off for more than 5 years. Never did ride his ride. Though decided to get a BMW to really ride with my wife like I want to.

On Craigslist saw a '09 LT for 15K at San Jose BMW. Called saturday and went to see it tuesday. Looked clean obviously not dropped. Did the credit check thing then rode it. Went out on 280 it seemed real tall! Rode well liked the motor, shifted well a little noisey compared to my old Honda. While changing lanes and hitting the turtles it seemed that there was alot of vibration on the foot pegs. I didn't force the suspension as the front tire was severely worn. Over all rode nice.

Upon returning spoke to Chris the owner about the suspension. He said that it probably was the pre-load.On day 5 I adjusted this down and all is well. The tallness that I experienced I would suggest owners to dial this down as this lowered the bike and made Stopping and Starting actually normal!
so 5 days and 500 mile later I am loving it.

Things I want ... seemless mp3 player.Oh that uses the existing controls. Not sure why this is so hard.

The only thing that I have had a issue with while riding is the cruise control. Wouldn't turn on twice in the last 5 days. Stopped and let it all reset and it worked again..

My advise to all is to lower pre-load and the beast won't be so top heavy....

thanks..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Congratulations on the new LT and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will have a lot more advice for us after you have ridden a while longer and please know we will be anxious to her how its working for you over time. You may have already seen the posting that has been up for a few days about high miles on an LT and know that you have a lot to look forward to. It's going to be good.

I am glad you found an LT that has obviously not been down. That is a rare one indeed. It seems that most find a way to sneak in a nap during the first few hundred miles with a new rider so watch out for that. Experience would say watch out for those opportunities while turning at parking lot speeds and always try to stop with the front wheel pointing straight ahead. That is when the napping is most likely.

Forgive me for repeating myself but, it's going to be good.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,796 Posts
dsherman said:
My advise to all is to lower pre-load and the beast won't be so top heavy....

thanks..
Welcome aboard. Don't go too low. Pre load should be adjusted to place you in the middle of suspention travel to take full advantage of what she has to offer. Run it too low and you will snag the centerstand in a corner and low side it. Sounds like you are going to have a good time with her!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You have to slooooow way down for speed bumps. those crash pans take a beating as it is. Lower her and it will make that worse.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Welcome aboard, glad you found us. Now get off the computer and go ride it like you stole it!

Speaking of which, I'll catch you later... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts