BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a little excitement just behind our house yesterday evening. We back up to some parkland and, this being the high fire danger season in California, we had a nice little brush fire about 1/4 mile up the hill from our house. The response time was amazing; San Jose Fire and CDF were on it with trucks, and an airplane and a helicopter dropping water within 5 minutes of us noticing it. It looks like they had it knocked down in about an hour and it burned maybe 40-50 acres. A similar thing happened about 3 years ago and the response wasn't as fast and a lot more parkland burned, so I'm happy to see them getting aggressive about knocking these down, especially with so many homes nearby. Here's a few pics of the CDF helicopter at work. Kari said the tanker plane made a couple of runs right along the ridgeline but I wasn't able to get pictures of that. It was sure loud, though!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
i will be happy when the weather finally cools down ... happier still when we get some rain. we are overdue.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zotter said:
6m ground plane and quad in those pics?

Nope, maybe 2m - hard to get a sense of scale there.
If you're referring to the antennas, I have no idea. Those are in my neighbor's yard. I figure he'll be the first to let everyone know when the aliens land. :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
rain

KBandit said:
i will be happy when the weather finally cools down ... happier still when we get some rain. we are overdue.
we got 2x the normal rain last season and you want more?!
I am hoping that there will be no rain this yr to allow the water level to return to normal.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
rain

mantan said:
we got 2x the normal rain last season and you want more?!
I am hoping that there will be no rain this yr to allow the water level to return to normal.
yup. just enough to get us through the fire season. since we live in california it is reasonable to demand perfect weather.

;-)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
KBandit said:
yup. just enough to get us through the fire season. since we live in california it is reasonable to demand perfect weather.

;-)
And usually get it! :D :D

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
If you're referring to the antennas, I have no idea. Those are in my neighbor's yard. I figure he'll be the first to let everyone know when the aliens land. :D
Yup, the antennas. Your neighbor appears to be a ham - at least technician class. When ya go to put your next farkle on - he may be an asset! :up: In any case, mention you're impressed with his home-brewed qubical-quad array. Ask him for it's gain figures. At the least - he'll think you're cool :D

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zotter said:
At the least - he'll think you're cool :D
Or a complete friggin' dork! :eek: :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts