BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stolen from the December 10 South East Arizona Touring (SEAT.org) club newsletter: :thumb:

You find a leather suit in your closet that is older than your kids, way older, and it still fits…You have riding boots that go back before you met your wife, and they still fit…You look stupid in those old leathers and boots, but boy do they bring back some really groovy memories… You know you’re an old motorcyclist when…Miles per gallon now means more than horse power…You spent more money on a seat than you did for your first bike, and the seat had to be heated…You wonder how you ever got by without heated grips, heated gloves and a heated jacket liner…An “intercom” was taps on the head or pokes in the back; and “blue tooth” meant it was time to see the dentist…Traction control was putting both feet out in the classic outrigger position knowing that you had reached the end of your traction and your control.

You know you’re an old motorcyclist when…Your bike needed regular tune-ups and afterwards it really did run better…Main jets in carburetors had to be changed if you moved and the altitude was either 1,000 feet higher or lower…Spark plugs wore out and fouled…The smell of Castor oil still makes your heart beat go up 100 beats per minute and you suddenly begin telling stories about your racing exploits...You actually believe your racing exploits, and it was up hill both ways.

You know you’re an old motorcyclist when…You could actually see the engine that was propelling your motorcycle down the road…You remember that you could “Meet the nicest people on a Honda!” and you still know most of the words to the Beach Boys’ song…You know what the initials BSA, MV and BMW stand for…The motorcycle that you lust after hasn’t been built in over 30 years…When you take the body work off your shiny new bike you can’t find the engine, and the spark plugs look like they’re 10 inches deep into what you think is the valve cover...Two out of the four motorcycles you own qualify for Historical Plates, so does your car.

You know you’re an old Motorcyclist when…You and your buddies were skinny and a “pot belly” was a stove at your grandparents…2-Strokes were King and your neighbors didn’t complain because they kept the mosquito population down…You had to tickle your carbs before you kicked your bike to life…Your mother’s vacuum cleaner’s pipes fit the headers on your bike...Police would give you a ticket if their baton went up your exhaust.

You know you’re an old Motorcyclist when…You remember the fake engine sounds in Along Came Bronson…King Kenny was the little kid that always fell down, rarely ever finishing a race…Fast was “over the ton”… The twisty road you and you daredevil buddies used to race down is now a four lane divided highway…Gas had lead and you could fill up for under a buck...Miles per gallon were good if over 25 , excellent if over 30.

You know you’re an old Motorcyclist when…You read stuff like this and shake your head in agreement knowing just what the author meant…You ride to a SEAT club lunch and everyone there has grey hair…

Deryle Mehrten, an old Motorcyclist with just a touch of grey.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wish my old leather still fit. hmmm wish I still had it. :rotf:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,977 Posts
mwnahas said:
Wish my old leather still fit. hmmm wish I still had it. :rotf:
I have all of my leathers since my first one I bought in 1970. The first one is the only one that doesn't fit. It is a Brooks leather size 36 & it fit me barely until I quit smoking 10 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
My first 4 motorcycles (anything over 50cc) had 2 stroke engines, and I wore a Cromwell (sp) helmet and leather padded goggles. My rain gear was made by Barbour, mostly oiled canvas and I had rubber "over-boots" to keep my feet dry. Time was late 60s and early 70s, when BMWs only came in black. Memories... :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
...............when you can remember when Dick Mann led the U.S. team at the Isle of Man; ............with a broken leg...........and he came out of retirement to do it.............. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts