BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been looking for a touring bike, after years on a harley dyna. I've ridden the LT which we both liked. I'm hearing so much about low speed tip overs and touchy front breaking, I'm seriously rethinking my choice. any words of advice? I don't want to end up on a 'wing. thanks, Al

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The LT like any "new to you" bike takes time to adjust to.
Yes it is a big pig of a bike but it is easy to get use to.
Yes it has a "high Center" of gravity but it is easy to get use to.
Yes at parking lot speed the brake are a little "touchy" but it is easy to get use to.
I've had mine for 6 years and over 60K miles of PURE enjoyment , And yes it is easy to get use to. :rolleyes:
Just ride the LT with you SO to see if it "IS" the bike for you.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I did have one tip-over very early in owning my LT. Since then, it has only been a matter of understanding the feel of things. Have not a single issue since that first one. It is not like the bike is fighting you all the time. As for the braking issue... I did adjust the front brake lever just a bit so that I wasn't grabbing too much brake at parking lot speeds. This still leaves plenty of brake lever when I need it. Go for it!!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
the + far outway the -

I love mine

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
alrom999 said:
Hi, I've been looking for a touring bike, after years on a harley dyna. I've ridden the LT which we both liked. I'm hearing so much about low speed tip overs and touchy front breaking, I'm seriously rethinking my choice. any words of advice? I don't want to end up on a 'wing. thanks, Al
If your legs are long enough (29" or so inseam) should have no issue.
My suggestion would be to go to your local dealer and take a nice long test ride and see how you like her. Bought mine the same day I test rode her 300 miles!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've only droped mine once and that was on a rock road that narrowed and was slopeing and my wife's big head was turned looking at a cabin while I was trying to do a walking turn around. That's once in 5yrs. :rotf:

·
Registered
198 Posts
loansumrider said:
the + far outway the -

I love mine
What Jim (loansumrider) said......

Jeff D

·
Registered
656 Posts
alrom999 said:
Yet with everything you read on this forum 99% of us wouldn't give up our bikes.

If you go read the other brands forums you'll quickly see many of the same issues or variations thereof.

People here share their knowledge and there is a wealth of knowledge to be learned if you so choose yup we piss and moan about somethings I don't know about you but I would rather hear that then the sound of silence this is a great community take advantage of that fact

·
Registered
635 Posts
katnapinn said:
The LT like any "new to you" bike takes time to adjust to.
Yes it is a big pig of a bike but it is easy to get use to.
Yes it has a "high Center" of gravity but it is easy to get use to.
Yes at parking lot speed the brake are a little "touchy" but it is easy to get use to.
I've had mine for 6 years and over 60K miles of PURE enjoyment , And yes it is easy to get use to. :rolleyes:
Just ride the LT with you SO to see if it "IS" the bike for you.
+1. I am on my second LT, my first was a 99 LT I stupidly sold with 77K on the clock in 2002. Loved every mile, I now have an 09 and love it even more.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you want to insure that you never drop your bike, buy a 300lb scooter! The LT is as heavy as any other large tourer, but it's center of gravity is higher because BMW wanted the bike to PERFORM!!! I would bet it will out corner either the ultra or the wing easily. I came off a GL1800, and have not been intimidated one bit by the size and weight of the LT. I was however very impressed how the pounds just melt away once you get the LT rolling. I consider it to be the most fun-to-ride bike available in its class. You just need to respect its weight while stopped.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
In 2007 I rode a LT to Alaska........One of the most fear/stress full trips I ever took and it was not the bikes fault. It was this forum and all the horror stories posted here. lol

The LT rode flawless, and it was 99 with 30k on when I started the trip. Do not read into the posts. My 99 ended up being the best bike owned and wished I never sold it.

The reason I am on a wing now is because of $$$ reason. The person I bought the bike from is the owner of the school I teach at and he taking half payment by me teaching, so I only had to get half the loan, so the payment was under $100. So me wife was happy with payment, and I happy with a motorcycle.

The wing and LT are a beast at low speed. The both weigh a ton, and both get that little wiggle in the front at low speed. Practice low speed drills will give you confidence

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I've had mine go over X3 since I bought her. 2X because I was not paying attention and the third time I got blown over when the back end of the bike cleared the end of the upwind pickup in a parking lot. That big top case makes a nice sail! All three drops were at a complete stop. Once your foot clears the ground from a start she is as solid as the Rock of Gibraltar.

Total damage for three drops? $0.00.

The front brakes at low speed? I use 'em all the time and never think about it. The brakes are not touchy or twitchy but they are EXTREMELY effective at ANY speed. You do want to be vertical when she stops or she'll tuck under and go down. Just pick her up and carry on.

The low speed handling issues are just something you need to be aware of. No need to let them ruin your life. The trade off is a big, powerful, agile, comfortable motorcycle that is an absolute hoot to ride. She really churns out the miles, as would a GoldWing. One of my favorite differences is when you walk out into the parking lot it doesn't look like 25 other bikes in the lot.

One last thought. The purple ones are the prettiest and also the fastest. Don't let anyone try to tell you differently!

Loren

·
Registered
195 Posts
casualemt said:
If you want to insure that you never drop your bike, buy a 300lb scooter!
Ha! I drop my 30 lb BICYCLE all the time!

casualemt said:
The LT is as heavy as any other large tourer, but it's center of gravity is higher because BMW wanted the bike to PERFORM!!! I would bet it will out corner either the ultra or the wing easily. ... I was however very impressed how the pounds just melt away once you get the LT rolling. I consider it to be the most fun-to-ride bike available in its class. You just need to respect its weight while stopped.
What he said is pretty much the same as I would say. I dropped mine once (so far) when I was trying to push it around on the uneven brick sidewalk in my back yard. When I'm on the road I just don't have to worry about it and I don't think you will either.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've dropped mine once. Was doing a slow speed U-turn when a riding buddy cut in front of me. Tapped the brake and down she went. Not a big deal.
I ride with a lot of sport touring bikes, and none can outrun the LT except at top speeds. It's the best handling, most comfortable bike you'll find out there, in its or any other class.
Having said that, if you think the LT is going to be a problem for you, consider the FJR, Concours, RT, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
alrom999 said:
I recently transitioned from a Harley Road King to the LT, as mentioned above the BMW brakes are much more sensitive and effective than the harley brakes, just be careful when going slow. The lower handle bar height also reduces your leverage somewhat. However once you get it rolling it is a blast to ride, it tracks very well on rough roads and goes where you point it.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Don't let this concern scare you off. I just got back into riding after 20 yrs. I never had a real big heavy bike. I am 5'7" and have had a couple of close calls but haven't dropped it. Just be careful and adhere to all the advice previously mentioned and you wont have any trouble.

The advice in the archives on this site has helped me tremendously. Slow speed turns, keeping your head up and look straight ahead when coming to a stop and many more. Go through this site, practice, be careful and you will love it!!

David

·
Registered
51 Posts
Like many others have said, mostly rear brake in parking lots and slow speed situations, and try to do final (read real low speed) braking while straight up. Came to this bike from an FJR and was a bit imtimidated by the size/weight, but now each time I look at it, it seems to get a little smaller. The more you ride her, the more you understand her and before long you'll completely forget her size and be riding like whatever you're on now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i used to own a heavy yahama and i dropped that a couple of times. dropped the beemer a couple of times also. As someone else posted when you visit these sites you always hear the problems that all bikes have, so dont let that discourage you away from a great bike

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm 5'7 and a 1/4. :) 28 inseam. First week after I bought this bike, I thought I had made a mistake. Lots of thoughts running through my head. This bike is too big for me, wife's gonna kick my ass for spending this kind of money, etc. But I stuck with it and glad I did. I still get a little frustrated working on it every now and then other than fluid changes. And why can't all torque screws have the same size bits. And so damn many. But, once the feet are on the pegs and the clutch is out, everything changes. Nothing handles and rides, or looks like an LT. Even my wife looks forward to the next ride. She's retiring the end of May, and we are looking forward to putting many more states on my little sig map. No regrets.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts