BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

To top it off, it looks to be brand new :mad:, its sitting on the ground . While I've got it this far, going to clean up some wiring, change the coolant and do some more P.M.'s. Looks like my Sunday project is going to extend out a while! Did find out one good thing, the quick disconnects for the fuel lines have already been changed out with the nice metal ones.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Wait till you have to replace the clutch. :)

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
While you are there you may want to replace the fuel filter as well.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zippy_gg said:
While you are there you may want to replace the fuel filter as well.
That was one of the items that I was thinking about, now I've got to decide on where to get a few items. Do I go the the local "Stealer" and get it now or mailorder and have a little more down time. The last I went to the "Stealer", I really got taken on plugs to the tune of $13 each.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
GHOSTRACER said:
To top it off, it looks to be brand new :mad:, its sitting on the ground . While I've got it this far, going to clean up some wiring, change the coolant and do some more P.M.'s. Looks like my Sunday project is going to extend out a while! Did find out one good thing, the quick disconnects for the fuel lines have already been changed out with the nice metal ones.
Yep, I thought the K bike oil filter design was really stupid and then I found out where the air filter was located and realized that they put the smart engineer on the oil filter! :rotf:

The LT is simply an example of solids modeling run amok. The fuel tank was clearly designed around everything else and made to take up all available remaining volume no matter what shape that resulted in. And no consideration was given to maintenance. As an engineer who had his training pre-CAD and have lived through the transition from drafting tables to 2D CAD to solids modeling/3D CAD, I have seen way too much of this sort of thing. The signature of it is very apparent though.

·
Registered
999 Posts
watch the video on changing the air filter on a GL1800

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gold wing video is scary :) Not to say that LT is easy but GL is surely complicated.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
GHOSTRACER said:
That was one of the items that I was thinking about, now I've got to decide on where to get a few items. Do I go the the local "Stealer" and get it now or mailorder and have a little more down time. The last I went to the "Stealer", I really got taken on plugs to the tune of $13 each.
Try this...
I have had been very happy with my tune-up kits from BeemerBoneYard...

·
Registered
795 Posts
Might I recommend ordering a set of metal Quick Disconnects for the fuel lines from BeemerBoneyard before you put everything back together? My QDs failed just as I was putting everything back together, plastic is just not a long-term part for anything.

·
Registered
476 Posts
copperstatetour said:
Might I recommend ordering a set of metal Quick Disconnects for the fuel lines from BeemerBoneyard before you put everything back together? My QDs failed just as I was putting everything back together, plastic is just not a long-term part for anything.
I was thinking the same thing. I would also check the hose clamps and hoses inside the fuel tank, the cr p clamps are known to be loose and allow the hose to pop off inside the tank, so I would (and did) replace those (after checking the fuel lines for tiny cracks etc) with proper fuel injection clamps. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
copperstatetour said:
I believe the OP had the good fortune to find metal QDs already on the bike.

·
Registered
795 Posts
zippy_gg said:
I believe the OP had the good fortune to find metal QDs already on the bike.
Doh! :eek: Maybe I should have read the OP a little closer.

·
Registered
795 Posts
In that case, my other recommendation would be to clean all the electrical connections and put some electric grease in them so that next time you tear her down it will be easier to get the connections apart and also to protect them from water etc. Also clean up / lube the shift linkage and bleed the brakes while you are that far in.

When you put her back together take plenty of time and look for any places that the Tupperware might vibrate and cause a rattle and rectify them as you go. This is all a good thing as you are getting to know your bike very well, and when you put it all back together you can ride confident that everything is properly functioning and maintained - it's worth it in the end.

·
Registered
659 Posts
sheldan2 said:
Wait till you have to replace the clutch. :)
Gonna love the brake fluid flush/change.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I went through a similar ordeal after the metal clip that holds the dust cap behind the headlamp bulb came out of its holes. I wound up having to take the upper front fairing off to be able to see the holes and get it back together. The actually fixing of the clip took all of 30 sec once I could see what I was doing. The removal and reinstallation of the body work and windshield too about 6 hours. About 4 hours into the ordeal if one of my neighbors had offered me half a case of cheap beer and a small black cat in exchange for the bike I would have taken it on the spot. I was doing the math in my head to see if I could just trade it straight across for something simpler to work on like an old Vulcan or Shadow.

I will never own a bike with this much bodywork ever again.

·
Registered
795 Posts
markc said:
I went through a similar ordeal after the metal clip that holds the dust cap behind the headlamp bulb came out of its holes. I wound up having to take the upper front fairing off to be able to see the holes and get it back together. The actually fixing of the clip took all of 30 sec once I could see what I was doing. The removal and reinstallation of the body work and windshield too about 6 hours. About 4 hours into the ordeal if one of my neighbors had offered me half a case of cheap beer and a small black cat in exchange for the bike I would have taken it on the spot. I was doing the math in my head to see if I could just trade it straight across for something simpler to work on like an old Vulcan or Shadow.

I will never own a bike with this much bodywork ever again.
That is unfortunate. I'll admit that it is kind of a pain removing and reinstalling all that tupperware but for me the bike is worth it. I do wish they would have designed the tupperware to be able to come off easier or a piece at a time instead of the whole thing, but I don't even know if that would be realistically possible.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ok guys, having done lots of my own maintainance and then watching the GW air filter replacement. My thoughts toward my next MC is looking stronger toward a GS or GSA. Not as much crap to remove to get to things or if there is then at least you can see it much better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
copperstatetour said:
That is unfortunate. I'll admit that it is kind of a pain removing and reinstalling all that tupperware but for me the bike is worth it. I do wish they would have designed the tupperware to be able to come off easier or a piece at a time instead of the whole thing, but I don't even know if that would be realistically possible.
I also wish that things weren't so interlocked, but that's the design. I have given doing my own work on the bike, it is just too frustrating. I have always enjoyed working on my motorcycles but the LT has pretty much destroyed that, now I just use it to commute to save gas money while I save up so that I can get something I can enjoy more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts