BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DROPPED!! Yet another one joins the exclusive club

And I'm not talking about the 4% club...yet! I had just got done installing new brake pads on the front, and thought I'd take it for a spin to bed them in. Started it up, and pushed it back in neutral. Where I live, I have a lake (rock quarry actually) in my back yard very near to the driveway's edge, with about a 15 foot steep drop off to the water's edge. I'm pushing her backwards right about to the edge of the driveway. I hit the front brakes so I can get her in gear and go when....NOTHING! The bike rolled off the edge of the drive and picked up a little momentum in doing so. It also started leaning to the right, to the point that I was really grunting to keep her upright, as well as the fact that I was pushing forward with everything I had to keep it from rolling backwards into the lake. I couldn't pick up either leg for the rear brake or to put it in gear as I was pushing with both legs. I finally figured the safest course of action was to let her down as gently as possible.

What the hell just happened I thought. Then it hit me...I grabbed the front brake and after 2 good squeezes the pressure was right where it should be. I never pumped them up before I started pushing her backwards! DOH!! I surveyed the situation and sure enough, I was about a foot away from the drop off point. I had no one around to help me so I grabbed some fireplace logs and stacked them up against the rear tire to prevent any further backwards progress. Put it in first gear and extended the sidestand. Luckily I had seen some youtube vids dealing with picking up a dropped LT and Gold Wing a while back. Bent at the knees, put my ass on the side of the seat, grabbed the handlebar and saddlebag handle for stability. Pushed with the knees and she rolled right up. I was surprised how easy it actually was. I was expecting a much weightier struggle.

I parked it back on the drive and inspected for damage. Nada. Which was what I kind of expected after all the dropped LT stories I have read in the past. A true testament to the Beemer engineering minds in Munich. So there it is, my drop story. I can now lay claim to an even more exclusive club than just LT ownership. I'm just glad I didn't have to call my insurance man and have to explain why my bike was under 8 feet of water. Or as the Porsche service adviser in the movie "Risky Business" asked: "Who's the Commander of the U-Boat?"

I will try and post a few pics.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Awww...she looks so peaceful laying down taking a nap.

Glad there was no damage.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Is that Aquamarine Blue?! :histerica

Welcome to the club brother! :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
That coulda been bad. Neutral is a no-no........... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Let that be a warning to all of us. She secretly desires to take a swim. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
she looks so peaceful laying down taking a nap.
I think is a blue bike thing. They get so tired of looking good all the time that they just have to lay down and relax every so often.

At least that is my story.

NICE SAVE!

·
Registered
475 Posts
You should have put some floaties on the LT and rode on the lake :)

next time that happens just put it in gear!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Joins the exclusive club??? "Man, you are the charter member in your own exclusive club! Waaaaaaay too close to that lake for comfort.

Glad everything turned out ok for you!

Loren

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FastDonna: You know me, I always live close to the edge. HEY! who yelled insanity?

BlauBeeMr: Aquamarine Blue....That's right funny!

Caveno: Got a call into Max BMW. Gonna see if they can order some water wings for my tip-over wings.

Loren: Charter member? I guess everyone has to be good at something!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Hey, that looks just like mine did only on the right side instead of the left. It comforts me to know that others drop their beautiful blue bikes as well as myself.:)

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
If my wife read this forum ( and I don't think she does) she would be quite upset that I posted the attached picture.

Long story short, she was trying to move her car in the garage without starting it ( why, I still don't know) and it "somehow" got away from her, rolled down the driveway and into the wetlands across the street. It went out of the garage, down the driveway, across the street, down the berm and ended up between two cypress trees!

I just loved her story.... as she asked me if I could pull it out with the SUV. It came out with out a scratch and just a plastic panel under the wheel well came off. I still just shake my head.....

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts