BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all are batting 1000 right now, so I hope you can help me with this issue.

If you check my previous posts you will see I am getting some very strange information from the dealer which I purchased my bike. That being said, I am having an issue with the left mirror on my bike. It seems that the front mount is sticking out further than the rear. As a result, it is sitting a bit cockeyed and the seams are not even. Is there a way I can fix this? I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer if I can, I do not want them to touch my bike right now.

Thanks in advance for your help, you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yes, each of the three pins that the mirror snaps on to can be adjusted with spacer washers that come taped to the fairing near the mounts. I'm sure after market washers also work just fine. Just unscrew the mounting bolt and add or subtract washers til the mirror mounts flush. Keep in mind you probably won't get an exact flush fit but you should be able to get it pretty close.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can adjust the gap pretty easily. Pop off the mirror and you will find three studs. Each stud will unscrew. You can add or remove flat washers as needed to even out the clearance. There may be extra washers taped to the inside of the mirror; there were some on mine.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Be sure when you do add/subtract washers to even the gap that you keep a 1/16" gap minium all the way around. If it is close to touching anywhere the mirror can be knocked off too easy. The spring clips need to be fully seated in the necks of the ball studs, and if the housing is touching the fairing keeping the clip from fully seating that clip can be easily dislodged.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Y'all just saved me a trip on Saturday!

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
One more thang:

Use tethers!!! If you don't have them already... :rolleyes:

Lost one mirror on a 6" pothole in downtown Atlanta.

Lost another one whilst jumping a deer in Peachtree City.

At $240/each, they are NOT cheap!!! :eek:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Another thing to check is the mirror assembly it self and make sure that none of the metal clip mounts are broken.
on the mirror there is 2 spung metal clips per corner. these are held in place with plastic. the plastic can crack and the metal clips dont lock to the bike and the mirro does not sit flush with the bike.
there is a few posts on how to repair this with jb weld and zip ties is probably the easiest and very strong as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts