BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through many of the thread here and am still having problems with the replacement of my low beam on my 2002. It doesn't seem to look exactly like the pictures I've seen.

First, I was expecting to have a two bulb setup, and while there are two sets of wires I can only see one bulb. After taking the cover off, the bottom wire runs into a hole, and the top (which seems to correspond to the single centered bulb in the assembly) has a square mounting assembly. I have purchased an H7 bulb but now have two questions.

Is this the stock configuration? What is the appropriate replacement for the single light config? Does anyone know of or have pictures of the specific 2002 headlight assembly? Specifically, how do these tabs disengage? I am very wary of breaking them. Am planning a trip tmw, have only high beam - which I could deal with but would prefer to sort this before.

BTW, I opted out of the HID replacement because I wasn't working - but just got job offer yesterday so might do that in the next few weeks. Hooray! I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to disengage those tabs.

Yes I have fat hands but my slender gf also struggled :confused:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Congrats and good luck with the job offer.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have gone through many of the thread here and am still having problems with the replacement of my low beam on my 2002. It doesn't seem to look exactly like the pictures I've seen.

First, I was expecting to have a two bulb setup, and while there are two sets of wires I can only see one bulb. After taking the cover off, the bottom wire runs into a hole, and the top (which seems to correspond to the single centered bulb in the assembly) has a square mounting assembly. I have purchased an H7 bulb but now have two questions.

Is this the stock configuration? What is the appropriate replacement for the single light config? Does anyone know of or have pictures of the specific 2002 headlight assembly? Specifically, how do these tabs disengage? I am very wary of breaking them. Am planning a trip tmw, have only high beam - which I could deal with but would prefer to sort this before.

BTW, I opted out of the HID replacement because I wasn't working - but just got job offer yesterday so might do that in the next few weeks. Hooray! I still cannot for the life of me figure out how to disengage those tabs.

Yes I have fat hands but my slender gf also struggled :confused:

These pictures in my Picassa photo album should help you figure this out.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101489741192933663432/BMWK1200RSHeadlightBulbs?noredirect=1
The pictures were taken on a K1200RS headlight, but it is basically the same unit as the 1st generation K1200LT (except for wire/cable for adjustment from dash). Later generation K1200LT have 2 separate headlight unit.

H7 is the low beam bulb - the top one in the pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sailor

Thank you very much, absolutely nothing like what I was envisioning haha That was exactly what I was hoping for. Now to see if my oversized digits can solve the puzzle.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
There are two bulbs. The one you can see from in front of the bike is the high beam. The low beam is behind the reflector of the High beam and light radiates the light off the rear reflector.

Once you take the plastic cover off both bulbs should be accessible and they should be in line with one another. If you found the lower bulb go higher.. just 3 or 4 inches above the lower bulb.

Been a while since I was in there but you should be able to access the both bulbs from the bottom after you remove that access panel. I agree large hands are not a plus in that space.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those pix did the trick. I could agree more with the idea that once you've done this, its much easier, somewhat counter-intuitive, and I dunno if I'd call it elegant, but was quick once I figured it out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Congrats on the job. Always good news when you have been looking for one. Enjoy your LT :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.