BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea why the oil would be leaking from around the fill bolt? I recently changed to FD oil but replaced it to manufacture specs. I've checked and double checked the tightness of the fill bolt too and it seems fine. Although I did replace the washer, it's aluminum, not rubber. Any chance that's the problem?

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I'd remove the fill cap and try another crush washer....and make sure the shoulder the crush washer sits on is clean.
You did fill the FD to the bottom of the fill threads while on the center stand. Right.

I'd say you might have had something under the crush washer to make it not seal good when you changed the fluid.

Hope that's some help.

Sorry I'm not closer as I'd come by and take a look.

Vern :bmw:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Are you sure it's not coming out of the vent ?

Sometimes if you get it a little too full. And things get hot.. It will vent a little oil and it will run down to the filler...

Other than that.. A new crush washer.. They're supposed to be aluminum.

You can also re-anneal the old one if you don't have a new one..

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not certain where the vent is located but it's clearly seeping from the fill hole.
Although this is the first time I've changed the FD fluid (just got it in February) it's never done this before. That said, I'm certain the amount that I drained out was far less that what I put in so you may be correct. Maybe when I took possession of it (despite it coming from a dealer) the fluid was already low thus preventing me from noticing it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A tech tip - buy yourself a tube of Loctite 567 Thread Sealant. This is not a locking compound, it is a teflon based liquid designed for sealing tapered pipe threads, it does not set and can always be undone. Apply a little to the last few threads of your drain plugs (or in this case your filler plug) and screw up without over tightening. Seals perfectly. I have been using this method for years and never replace any crush washers on any of my vehicles. Works a treat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'll be flamed and branded a heretic for sure, but....while I just picked up my K1200 LT, I have ridden an R1100 RT for the past six years and have done numerous oil changes on it. I change the final drive lube every oil change just to keep an eye on it. That said, I have never replaced the crush washer on any of the drain plugs...just keep reusing them. Never had a leak. Never annealed the washer or used any sort of thread sealant either.

So...my money says that yes, there is some trash under the washer that is preventing it from sealing properly. YMMV

Best.............John

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
The design of the aluminum crush washer is just that, you crush it into any imperfections in the sealing surfaces and it seals. You can only crush them once, maybe twice before they will not crush again. If you have no imperfections they will continue to seal but most have some so they will not. They are cheap why not use a fresh one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.