BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New here and to BMW. Currently have to HDs, and just picked up a used '01 LT (Blue)- (OK, that was dumb - hard to find a 'new' "01). Been reading here for days, and found great info. Thanks. Especially enjoyed the FAQs for newbies.
Been going through my 'new' bike, changing oils, adjusting etc., and was wondering if someone could direct me to an appropriate forum addressing the 'soft' feeling of slow speed riding? Tried a search, but couldn't find just what I was looking for. If you don't, I'll ask stupid questions! In the mean time, I'll be out practicing before the snow starts falling again.
Thank you all, great site.
Frank

·
Registered
370 Posts
Another conversion from the dark side. Welcome to the forum. Where the information is great and the insanity is contagious.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Deserted parking lot; NO SNOW or ice.

Bob 00LT

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Becket and KIC, is there still a road in your neighborhood called, or nicknamed, "The Rollercoaster"? I broke my wrist and two toes on a Triumph Trophy there in 1970.

·
Registered
332 Posts
fmplt said:
Been going through my 'new' bike, changing oils, adjusting etc., and was wondering if someone could direct me to an appropriate forum addressing the 'soft' feeling of slow speed riding?
Frank
Could you expound on what you perceive as "soft feeling" at low speeds? Is it most noticeable through the front forks or rear shock? Have you checked tire pressure?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dude, it does feel like a low tire up front, but the pressure's up. The tire is moderately cupped, but I would have thought I'd feel that at higher speeds, not at parking lot speeds. It almost feels like the forks are lose, as if you moved the handlebars, but there was a delay before the tire respondes. Does that make any sense?
It's great at speed, and I was dragging pegs on the first ride. My first impression is that the sloppy feeling is caused by the front end, but after my experience with the HD, I'm not so sure. I've learned that fixing the rear suspension affects the front more profoundly. Perhaps it's just the top heaviness I'm feeling? Just wasn't sure.
Thanks though,
Frank

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
Frank welcome to the site and the BMW. I ride with a fair amount of HD guys who make a fair amount of fun of me, that is to say until they are begging to stop and rest :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
fpmlt said:
Hello. New here and to BMW. Currently have to HDs, and just picked up a used '01 LT (Blue)- (OK, that was dumb - hard to find a 'new' "01). Been reading here for days, and found great info. Thanks. Especially enjoyed the FAQs for newbies.
Been going through my 'new' bike, changing oils, adjusting etc., and was wondering if someone could direct me to an appropriate forum addressing the 'soft' feeling of slow speed riding? Tried a search, but couldn't find just what I was looking for. If you don't, I'll ask stupid questions! In the mean time, I'll be out practicing before the snow starts falling again.
Thank you all, great site.
Frank

The soft feeling is just about when you are ready to dump it over!

·
Registered
332 Posts
fpmlt said:
Hey Dude, it does feel like a low tire up front, but the pressure's up. The tire is moderately cupped, but I would have thought I'd feel that at higher speeds, not at parking lot speeds. It almost feels like the forks are lose, as if you moved the handlebars, but there was a delay before the tire respondes. Does that make any sense?
It's great at speed, and I was dragging pegs on the first ride. My first impression is that the sloppy feeling is caused by the front end, but after my experience with the HD, I'm not so sure. I've learned that fixing the rear suspension affects the front more profoundly. Perhaps it's just the top heaviness I'm feeling? Just wasn't sure.
Thanks though,
Frank
Frank,
Just a shot in the dark here....try checking the torque on your engine-to-frame mounting bolts, front wheel mounting bolts, suspension (shock) mounts, etc. Any looseness could give you the sloppy handling you are describing. I had somewhat of the same feeling with my Norton Commando at low speeds but not at high speeds. I went nuts replacing swing arm spindles, bushings, etc before I finally realized my front frame-to-engine bolts were loose and needed shims and retorqueing; that fixed the problem of waiting for the rest of the bike to catch up with the direction of the front wheel. Also, do you experience front wheel wobble at low speeds if you momentarily release your grip on the handlebars? Do you know if the steering head bearings have been checked for proper torque?

Good luck...

·
Registered
888 Posts
You could also find someone in your area that has an LT, let them ride yours to get their opinion of the "soft ride". It might be a simple difference in BMW and HD. Or not.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Yep.

Soft feeling is the danger feeling at turtle speed.

Poller Coaster RD is in a heavily populated area. Still a nice road, but through a neighbor hood.

Bob

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all

Thanks everyone for the help. I've checked most of what's been mentioned, but will go out in the cold blowing snow (feeling bad for me yet?) and check the rest. It may well be that I just need to get the feel of the bike.
BTW, I still love my Harley!! How many of you can say you paid twice the money for half the bike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2009 LT. I thought it was something in the suspension, but when the BMW dealership got it, they said it was a steering dampner. I got the bike back, but it still feels sloppy, better, but not a good positive feed back from the front end to the forks.

It feels like something is loose, so this winter (San Diego Winter's 75 degrees sunny) I'm going to take off the tuperware and check out the front end. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks :confused:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
CurtK12LT said:
I have the same issue with my 2009 LT. I thought it was something in the suspension, but when the BMW dealership got it, they said it was a steering dampner. I got the bike back, but it still feels sloppy, better, but not a good positive feed back from the front end to the forks.

It feels like something is loose, so this winter (San Diego Winter's 75 degrees sunny) I'm going to take off the tuperware and check out the front end. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks :confused:
You did not indicate your mileage or tire brand so I am guessing here.
First thing: be sure the tires are properly inflated. 42/front, 48/rear.
Are your tires cupped? Is this the first set or have the tires been replaced already?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Could it be that you are just not accustomed to the "set back" or "tiller" style handlebars on the LT vs. your last bike/s?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My bike 09LT has 7800 miles on it. I had a new set of the same tires put on it at around 6000 miles (Metzlers 880 Marathon), the problem started about 1000 miles after that. Tire Pressure 42 up front, and 48 at the rear. Still going to take apart the front body and begin re-torqueing everything. I looked under the "hood" last night and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts