BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie question (AGAIN).
I have a 2008 RT with about 6700 miles on the odometer. My service light recently came on flashing 2012 FEBRUARY and SERVICE stays on as I ride. Last year I had my regular yearly service done & 6000 mile service; since then I have only put about 500 miles on the bike.
Is there really a need to get the yearly service if you only put 500 miles on the bike and it literally stayed in the garage ona trickle charger the whole year??
If the answer to the above question is a resounding NO; is there a way to RESET the SERVICE indicator?
Thanks,
Jed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just googled this and apparently you have to have the dealer reset this as you stated... Darn. Oh well, off to the dealer, need a state inspection so get it all done at once, or just trade it in for a K16GTL, we will see.
Thanks,
Jed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Maintenance schedule says oil at least yearly regardless of mileage. Brake fluid every other year after first year.

You put 500 miles on in the last year and are considering a new bike?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, very long complicated story on my ability to ride, but essentially 3 months after purchasing my new bike 2008 RT my wife's father passed away in MC accident. SLOWLY got back into riding after that and just this past year have been traveling 80% of year and just not around to ride; but with new work position I am able to ride A LOT more so very interested in test riding the new K1600GTL to see if I am interested in it, if not then more miles piling onto the RT!
J

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, guess I will take her into the dealer, and probably safe to have everything inspected once a year.
Thanks,
Jed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Glad to hear you're back in the saddle. Sorry about the loss of your father-in-law.

I happened to take a test ride on the GTL last weekend at the dealer's open house. They had a demo marked down significantly. Turns out it had been in an accident and had a bunch of new parts on it. At that point I wasn't sure if I would consider buying it but a ride sounded good. I really liked it. For me, the lower height more than compensated for the additional weight; it was easier to handle than the RT. The power is amazing. It sounds great, especially compared to the RT. Gadgets galore. The only drawback that I noticed is no Powerlet plug on the left side. I guess it could be easily enough remedied but don't many people need it for the heated gear?

Have fun with your shopping!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comment on your GTL experience, and yes it is very good to be back in the saddle. I am reading tons of reports with a lot of positive feedback about the new bike. I am a little reserved since it is the very first model year of the bike as most complaints get addressed in following year models, but that is with any MC or car. I just found out the yearly service for my RT, which I only rode about 600 miles since my last service, is going to be $300. That is just crazy, but I guess BMW (Bring My Wallet) is what it is.... They have a brand new blue GTL on the lot I might just leave with but I will see.... I know incentives really start towards the end of the summer but not sure I will wait if the bike is a fit for me. I am 6'3" and trying to find reviews from riders near my height which seem to be harder to find than I thought. Anyway, I will not clog up this forum with GTL discussion and continue my research.
Thanks,
Jed

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
JRESURF said:
Thanks for the comment on your GTL experience, and yes it is very good to be back in the saddle. I am reading tons of reports with a lot of positive feedback about the new bike. I am a little reserved since it is the very first model year of the bike as most complaints get addressed in following year models, but that is with any MC or car. I just found out the yearly service for my RT, which I only rode about 600 miles since my last service, is going to be $300. That is just crazy, but I guess BMW (Bring My Wallet) is what it is.... They have a brand new blue GTL on the lot I might just leave with but I will see.... I know incentives really start towards the end of the summer but not sure I will wait if the bike is a fit for me. I am 6'3" and trying to find reviews from riders near my height which seem to be harder to find than I thought. Anyway, I will not clog up this forum with GTL discussion and continue my research.
Thanks,
Jed
Most motojournalists tend to be short. The only tall ones I know of are Tim Carrithers and Mike Seate. The best thing to do is ride the bike yourself. trying to judge it from someone's opinion that is 5'8 is impossible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts