BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Year to year K LT spec changes?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ben1364 
#1 ·
What I really need to know is if the front fork dimensions and placement is the same for all K12LT model years. Same for the front fender and the front wheel. The root of my questions is that I contemplate installing a different/larger tire on the front of the bike and am concerned about clearances.

If the forks, the fender and the wheel are the same for a 2003 and a 2005 K LT, I am in good shape. The vehicle in question is a 2005 K LT based Hannigan trike and I want to mount a 130/70x17" tire.

Thank you in advance.
Ben

#2 ·
ben1364 said:
What I really need to know is if the front fork dimensions and placement is the same for all K12LT model years. Same for the front fender and the front wheel. The root of my questions is that I contemplate installing a different/larger tire on the front of the bike and am concerned about clearances.

If the forks, the fender and the wheel are the same for a 2003 and a 2005 K LT, I am in good shape. The vehicle in question is a 2005 K LT based Hannigan trike and I want to mount a 130/70x17" tire.
FWIW - I installed both front and rear tires and wheels from a '2002LT on my '2007LT for a time when I was trying to figure out a 40mph handlebar wobble problem when my bike was new. No clearance issues. With regard to the front fender, the '2007 has a cover for the lower part of the fork, the '2002 does not.

#3 ·
jhsonderb said:
FWIW - I installed both front and rear tires and wheels from a '2002LT on my '2007LT for a time when I was trying to figure out a 40mph handlebar wobble problem when my bike was new. No clearance issues. With regard to the front fender, the '2007 has a cover for the lower part of the fork, the '2002 does not.
Thanks for the info, Jim. I am about ready to bite the bullet and try a Michelin Pilot Activ 130/70 x 17" rear tire on the Hannigan trike. Though it is a bit taller and wider than the stock front tire, word is that it is the hot setup when mounted backwards on a trike. The Gold Wing trike crowd rave about it. I might have to remove or find a different way to attach my Fenda Extenda since it appears to be the closest to the tire.

Anyone else have thoughts about clearance?

Regards,
Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.