BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am looking at purchasing a new LT and would like to know what year differences there are, any particular years to watch out for etc? I don't want to spend more than 12k and want a low mileage. Currently looking at a 2003 with about 13k miles for around $10k. But any differences between an 03 and say an 06? Thanks

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Since '03 that I know of:
  • I think it was '05 that the electric center stand was added.
  • The front end rake had been changed.
  • A few more horsepower was added.
  • Headlight was improved.
  • Some minor trim changes.
  • You bought an LT and added options instead of having LT, LTC & LTE models.
  • Insturment cluster changed.
I'm sure there's more that will be added by others around here.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Everybody here has an opinion about this question and most can defend their position just fine...

But if you stay 2005 or newer you have pretty much the newest technology on the market....... Look around buy what makes you happy...........Pete

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The '06 added Xenon headlight as standard, and changed the dash CD player to add aux inputs, I think they were the only changes from the '05 (which was really an '04 build bike anyway). Easy enough to install aftermarket HID's though if you get an 05 or earlier.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for your help. 06 is it I guess. I do want to add am mp3 player and not use the fm transmitter. I did search those other threads, just didn't find enough info. I guess due to wanting an 06 I have to wait about 4 or so months. Got to save up some more cash. Thanks

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello PrimePower

To me the differences are non riding frills , I would not want to miss 4+ months of riding.
03- have the VERY STRONG ! brakes , 05- HP is ok but not a deal breaker for me and the electric stand is not for me . I have rode my 99 , friends 03 , 05 and not inspired to trade up as long as the old beast is still reliable .

Bob G

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have been wanting one of these for some time and have been looking over your nice forum. Seems there is a big issue with the clutches and slave cylinder correct? I want something reliable. Please give your input, and my other option would be one of the new Victory Touring bikes, I love their looks, but like the feature of the LT. Any comparison from this forum is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I love my '02. Bought it new and ride it as my main transportation. I think the horsepower is plenty. Its also easy to get up on the centerstand so I don't miss the powered centerstand.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Diolach said:
I love my '02. Bought it new and ride it as my main transportation. I think the horsepower is plenty. Its also easy to get up on the centerstand so I don't miss the powered centerstand.
Any mechanical issues?

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Its a bike, there will always be mechanical issues... plenty of threads about them.
I'm on my third rear rotor, had a clutch plate changed out under warranty (nothing to do with slave cylinder leaks though), and 1 or 2 other little nigglys... but apart from the cost of maintenance through dealers (dont do it myself) just can't think of myself riding anything else on a daily basis, and its the only transport I own.
... and I just looove my electric centrestand.... :bmw:

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Just to clear things up, a bike with a hydraulic center stand is the "new" model.

Not on the lists above is also that on the new model the drivers seat is a slightly different shape making it easier for shorter riders to reach the ground.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts