BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if I'm upgrading the disk capacity in my MacBook and plan to install an XP partition under either Parallels or more likely VMWare Fusion, what size partition should I reserve for it? I'm assuming that partition needs to be formatted as Windows, not as HFS+, correct?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you use Parallels, you do not need to partition. Parallels just creates it's own file that mimics a disc. When you install Parallels, you can choose the size of the "disc" that is created. There is also a tool, IIRC, that allows you to change the size, if need be.

I started with 10GB for my XP "disc" and haven't needed to change it. Tho, I only use XP for the FEW things that cannot be done under OS X.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I realized that if I was using Boot Camp to dual-boot into XP then I'd probably need a separate partition. If Parallels can do it as a virtual disk then that simplifies things.

And trust me, there are maybe one or two things I want to play with under XP, the rest is pure Mac. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I much prefer the simplicity and convenience of using Parallels over Boot Camp - especially since there are so few things that I need XP for (garmin remains the top item, unfortunately). I really like being able to boot up windows on the fly.

Let me know if you do end up going with Parallels and need any help - I've run into a couple of issues that caught me off guard. Both of them were cases of the system working as designed; I just hadn't read that part of the manual. :rotf:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Finally going to do some actual work on that boat anchor, eh Ken?! :rotf:

(I hope virtual machines on Macs don't need special partitions. Kinda defeats the purpose of them.)

·
Miles of Smiles
1,055 Posts
Hi Ken, still run BootCamp with NO issues at all. I partitioned off 15GB which is used mainly for Garmin and a couple of windows web sites. I used an NT format ( advised for security ) but it doesn't allow nice things like icon changes etc. I think windows is an ugly operating system and so the boring icon is fine. :) Having to change systems ( XP-pro to OSX ) by restarting ( hold down option ) is some times a pain, but it reminds me which system I enjoy most. HTH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts