BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange problem that maybe some of you with electrical, radio or RF experience can help. My XM radio fades in and out, even cuts in an out. I changed the location of the antenna from the front to the back, and no difference. I swapped out the mount with my Jeep for the radio and no help. I use the same radio in my Jeep with no problems. I sometimes get "Acquiring Signal" ir "Check antenna connections" on the screen.
Any ideas? :bmw:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
XM antennas need a "ground plane" in other words the magnet needs some metal to ground to,
the reason it works well in your auto is that there's more metal

·
Registered
989 Posts
With regard to "acquiring signal":

SilverBuffalo said:
XM antennas need a "ground plane" in other words the magnet needs some metal to ground to...l
+1.

It is not really for the magnet, rather for the antenna circuit. The antenna works better by - let's put it this way - dissipating the incoming signal in a circuit ground.

I very much experience the same problem with my Sirius radio receiver on my bikes: received signal strength is perceptibly lower than in a car.

"They all do it".

OTOH, if you have "check connections" fault, you may very well have a bad connection, like Kieth wrote.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts