BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talk to retailers and they say Sirius is the best satellite radio but everyone I see has XM on their bike and/or cars. Is that due to tradition or do the end users really know what is best?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
jtalbot said:
I talk to retailers and they say Sirius is the best satellite radio but everyone I see has XM on their bike and/or cars. Is that due to tradition or do the end users really know what is best?
I think it's more a result of XM being out of the box first -- they got to market 6 mo. to a year ahead of Sirius. I also believe XM, with a player with Delphi's deep pockets behind them, has had better equipment choices (the Sirius offerings are catching up, but XM is still ahead IMO). FWIW, I have Siruis on my LT.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
XM has a partnership with Delphi, who had done a DAMN GOOD job of coming up with the best plug and play receiver units.

Sirius has been behind in terms of receiver units.

The programming is a matter of taste, so it would be impossible to say one is better than the other.

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Delphi's deep pockets? Mark, have you been buried in work again? :D Delphi is probably going to drag GM into bankruptcy.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Joel,

I'm an XM user, so what I think may be prejudiced. This boils down to the same old argument as LT vs. Goldwing: try them both and get the one that works for you. Sirius has the NFL, NBA, and NHL. XM has MLB, NASCAR, and PGA. Right now, XM's gear has the advantage. If you like shock-jocks, Sirius signed Howard Stern (which helped push me to XM!). XM is affiliated with GM and Honda; Sirius with BMW, Daimler-Benz, and Ford.

Again, listen to them both and choose the one that strikes your fancy. I bet you'll be really pleased either way.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
This is a pretty close agument to the LT vs. GoldWing debate. The best thing for you to do is Google "Sirius vs. XM" and read, read, read. THIS SITE has a pretty nice (and up-to-date) comparison chart of the two. There's no "better" one, it's really a matter of preference.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
eljeffe said:
Delphi's deep pockets? Mark, have you been buried in work again? :D Delphi is probably going to drag GM into bankruptcy.
Back when they started with XM, they had deep pockets :)

Actooly, the new CEO that took them into bankruptcy has already secured a substantial line of debtor-in-possession financing, drawn up plans for disposing of a number of plants, and has all but kissed the UAW contracts good-by. GM may take it in the shorts in the whole deal, but now's the time to start looking at Delphi shares when they emerge from Chap. 11 ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Shogun54 said:
Joel,

I'm an XM user, so what I think may be prejudiced. This boils down to the same old argument as LT vs. Goldwing: try them both and get the one that works for you. Sirius has the NFL, NBA, and NHL. XM has MLB, NASCAR, and PGA. Right now, XM's gear has the advantage. If you like shock-jocks, Sirius signed Howard Stern (which helped push me to XM!). XM is affiliated with GM and Honda; Sirius with BMW, Daimler-Benz, and Ford.

Again, listen to them both and choose the one that strikes your fancy. I bet you'll be really pleased either way.

XM also has NBA and sometimes AMA Motocross. Sirius has Howard Steern, reason enough for me to avoid it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have both XM and Sirius- I like Sirius Better

I have XM in my car and Sirius in my home and on my LT. I prefer Sirius. The music programming seems better. At the present the talk channels are more entertaining. Howard Stern is not there yet. If you don't like Stern you don't have to listen to him.

Sirius has the NFL, NBA, and NHL. Also there is extensive college football and basketball for the Big 12, PAC 10, SEC, Big 10 and a few other conferences.

After listening to both for a couple of years. I prefer Sirius.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Hey, Howard Stern Haters- XM has Opie and Anthony. You know the two guys who sponsored the contest about two years ago that encouraged couples to have SEX IN ST. PATRICKS CATHEDRAL! One of the couples did engage in the deed and were arrested. These two guys were kicked off the air soon after. They make Howard look tame by comparison. No telling what hijinks their up to now without the FCC on their backs.

Me, I think Howard and O&A both fun entertainment. I belive in the motto, if you don't like that type of entertainment, turn it off!

Sorry to hijack the thread!

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
jtalbot said:
I initially chose XM on the basis of equipment. XM still has the best equipment choices, especially the RoadyII and MyFi units. For me, I still love the $49 RoadyII and its small footprint and use it on four of our motorcycles. The new Roady XT looks to be another winner. I also have a couple of MyFi units that I can record over five hours of programming to use when I want. With the introduction of the new Garmin 2730 we also have the first truly waterproof satellite radio for our bikes.

As far as programming goes there are only subtle differences. While Sirius has NFL, NCAA, NHL and NBA, XM Has MLB, NCAA, NASCAR and NHL (Sirius lost NHL beginning with the 2007 season). There are strong rumors that XM is in negotiation with the NFL.

XM has over 5 million subscribers while Sirius states 2.2 million. Sirius has come under fire for using fuzzy math to count its subscribers as it counts every vehicle with Sirius installed (even those unsold on dealer's lots) as a subscriber.

Both Sirius and XM have invested in their own unique programming. XM has Opie and Anthony and Ron and Fez as offerings on their edgy 'High Voltage' radio channel. Sirius will start with Howard Stern in 2006. Sirius gave Stern a very expensive contract to lure him away from traditional radio. Many financial analysts feel the contract was too expensive in light of Sterns falling ratings. Sirius also signed Martha Stewart to a lucrative contract.

XM entered into an agreement last month to be included in DirecTVs offerings, adding another 15 million households.

While it is entirely too early to predict a winner in the battle for subscription satellite radio, it is clear that XM has the momentum and is financially more viable. That could all change virtually overnight considering what many project the potential size of the market to be. If the Stern deal provides the boost in subscribers that Sirius hopes, they could begin to catch up fast, if not the cost of the contract could be an albatross for many years to come.

One thing for sure, there is a lot yet to shake out in the business. There is very little risk for a consumer to pick one over the other with equipment costs so small and no long-term commitment required.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sirius Radio hook up

I just purchased a Sirius Radio. I used a Roady2 left side offset hook up which works great but I am having the worst problem with the antenna on top of the Roady platform. I can't get any good receoption unless I move it away from the bike. Any suggestions on where I can place that darn antenna and not look like a goober with a dangling antenna?!?
I own a 2000 1200ltc and live in the Casa Grande Arizona area it's south of Phoenix. I plan on buying a 06' in Feburary or March so I don't want to do to much hardwireing.
You can also reach me at [email protected]
Kavatar

·
Registered
857 Posts
Like everyone said it is a matter of preference but I prefer XM because they now have MLB. They did not have MLB when i bought my first unit however.

I do a lot of traveling for work and bring XM with me. Or I make sure I rent a car that has XM. I have owned an XM for at least 4 years now. I have one in the 4runner and the portable unit for the bike and home. I also gave a unit to my brother because he lives in TX and likes to hear the Red Sox. I have compared both and found the quality of the XM sound to be slightly better. Admittedly not important on a MC. I also refuse to pay for Howard. I do not listen to Opie and anthony. Never have. I have not listened to FM in a very long time. Just my nickel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
XM or Sirius

I have Sirius in car and rotate a XM radio (MyFi) on the bikes. The Sirius in the car was my first exposure to Sat Radio and love it. I would have went Sirius on the bikes, but at the time and possibly still today the XM MyFi was hands down the best portable receiver IMO. There are programming differences between both which may lead you to one or the other. I enjoy the programming with both XM and Sirius. The MyFi unit is small, user friendly and easily rotated between bikes, home, auto, etc.. plus it has 5 hours of program memory to use like a personal MP3 player. I had to get two additional sets of auto cradles, power supplies, etc.. to install on all three bikes. The parts are easy enough to get on Ebay and you can get them cheap if your patient.

·
Registered
99 Posts
XM for sure......Opie and Anthony rule!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Xm

have a XM Roady2 and use it both in the car and on the bike. I am a Detroit Red Wing (Hockey) fan and where i live im on the fringe for the AM reception. They Have the NHL on XM and it doesnt fade. I dont listen to Opie & Anthony mostly because i want the music and because its a extra $3 a month if you want it...i would guess it would be the same for H Stern too. I mount the Roady on my RCU shelf on the bike an use the FM modulator. In the car i use the tape deck adaptor. The tape deck adaptor has a much more powerful audio capability but its really not a problem with the FM Modulator, besides the 05 doesnt have a tape player anymore anyway. There is a website (http://www.myradiostore.us/power-accessories/hardwired-car-power-adapter.html )that sells all kinds of adaptors for both the serius and Xm receivers. They sell a 12" cord antenna and other do-dads that make it easy to go back and forth from bike to car. As to the programming i think either unit will give you all the music /news/sports/talk/old time radio/etc that you could want.

Good luck on your choice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts