BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still having problems with my Roady XT XM radio on the bike. I have been mounting it on the accessory shelf that I installed on top of the instrument panel.

I mounted on the to brackets that tA&S sells to install the XM radio on top of the clutch master cylinder. Since the 2010 RT has the rubber mounted clutch master cylinder using the bracket as intended is not an option. So, I simply screwed it onto the accessory shelf. The installation works great and positions the radio conveniently. The problem is that shelf vibrates and thereby causes the radio and mount to vibrate. The radio shuts itself off within a minute or so. It operates fins in the driveway or in my truck so I have to assume that it is the vibration causing it to shut down. It will come back on immediately if I push the power switch again.

Since I have bee testing this installation out I have been hooking the power adapter up to the accessory port on the fairing. (BTW, leaving the adapter plugged into the power port keeps the port energized just like the BMW charger does. I drained the battery once because of this.)

So, I am looking at a way to soft mount the radio and eliminate vibration. I know that I could just put the radio in the tank bag and this would be OK while traveling. But I don't want to use the tank bag all the time and am looking for a better solution.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found an acceptable solution?

Regards,

·
Registered
57 Posts
I mounted mine to the clutch master cylinder. I had to re-drill the holes that came in the bracket,..I only have 2 screws hold the bracket onto the master cylinder. .
I use a small piece of velcro to wrap around the radio to keep it from loosing the connection, problem solved

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
BMR Co-Pilot. NO VIBRATION!!!!

U would have to contact them to see if it fits the 2010. Mine is a '09!

Works great and is extrememly solid and high quality.

I have a Zumo 665 mounted Center on a Touratech Black locking tilt mount. The XM puck on the keft Acc. Shelf and a Valentine 1 mounted on the right Acc. Shelf.

All hardwired to a Centech AP-2.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have my XM mounted to the top shelf also and have not had any problems, other than I half to take off when raining (really sucks) :mad:
You might want to return for a replacement, the on and off button might be to sensitive?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ToJo said:
I mounted mine to the clutch master cylinder. I had to re-drill the holes that came in the bracket,..I only have 2 screws hold the bracket onto the master cylinder. .
I use a small piece of velcro to wrap around the radio to keep it from loosing the connection, problem solved
Could you post a pic of you installation? That would be helpful.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Why not try it in the tank bag just to see if the problem changes? Assuming that you haven't. Maybe it is not vibration.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here are some pics, hope they help.its not the best way to do it, but it works for me.
it's been on the bike like this for 6k and have had no problem. I use a piece of velcro towrap around the radio and under the dock, this keeps it from vibrating ,cutting on/off.I purchased the velcro from Lowe's. it came in a rolland has a loop om one end, kinda like a ty-wrap

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ToJo,

Thanks for the pics. That looks like the same mounting bracket I have and mounted on my accessory shelf. Do you have any concerns about the rubber boot for the clutch master cylinder going south because of the extra weight on top of the master cylinder?

I've attached a pic of my bracket mounted on the accessory shelf.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm going in today for my annual, I'll ask the service tech, but I don't see any reason for premature failure..I am thinking of getting the Garmin GXM30 puck and a shelf though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts