BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my XM radio on one of the accessory shelves from A&S. It was working fine until a couple of weeks ago when it was shutting off every few seconds and I could not keep it on. I removed everything and have been running it in my truck without any problems for the last two weeks.

The radio is a Delphi Roady XM and not the older Roady 2. I am suspecting the vibration on the cantilievered accessory shef was causing the radio switch to shut off. Has anyone had similar problems with an XM radio?

Regards,

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've used several types of sat radios, the time any would cut out was the plug vibrating out.
I think it was on a KLR I had to zip tie the plug to the 12v outlet. Also the radio may need a rubber band to hold it in its craddle. Just make sure all connections are tight.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Connections on the XM can be fussy. In addition to making sure vibration isn't causing your power cord to loosen you may also be getting some corrosion on one or more of the connectors. I've also had problems with the cradle on some models. Try using Cramolin on the connectors. If your not familiar with this product it is available at Fry's Electronics or other larger suppliers. There are several formulations available but for the most part they all help clean corrosion and offer a protective coating to resist future problems.

·
Registered
726 Posts
mjordans2000 said:
Connections on the XM can be fussy. In addition to making sure vibration isn't causing your power cord to loosen you may also be getting some corrosion on one or more of the connectors. I've also had problems with the cradle on some models. Try using Cramolin on the connectors. If your not familiar with this product it is available at Fry's Electronics or other larger suppliers. There are several formulations available but for the most part they all help clean corrosion and offer a protective coating to resist future problems.
Yeah! Cradle on some models is the thing to look at. I hade some of the same, but my prob. was the Ant. connection.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I mount mine on or in a tank bag, cuts down the vibration..........I also much prefer the roady 1 or 2 they are small and easy to mount. but they do die......I have had 3 roady 2's finally went to the zumo 550 and hockey puck antenna. Kieth

1 - 5 of 5 Posts