BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there getting interference on their XM radio on the LT? I have an '03 LT and have swapped out the antenna and put the antenna in the back of the bike on top of the center case by the luggage rack. The antenna normally installed up front on the shelf. Tthe radio still fades in and out with "Check Antenna Connection" messages. The radio works fine in my Jeep.

Is this anything anyone has experienced? :bmw:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Trees, Mountains, Topography in general was our interference while being over charged for XM service. In the 6 years we payed for the service, more remote the local we found ourselves tougher the reception was keeping intact :(

Antenna location was as up and in the open as I could engineer being mid mast on the FM antenna mast.

Gave up on the XM last fall .... Live N learn

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
"Antenna" message on my XM radio display is referring to the connection at the cradle. When it gets no signal due to interference from trees or buildings it displays "No Signal".

I took the suggestion from someone on this site to put the (mini) antenna under the handlebar cover, and have had excellent results.

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
motorhead said:
Trees, Mountains, Topography in general was our interference while being over charged for XM service. In the 6 years we payed for the service, more remote the local we found ourselves tougher the reception was keeping intact :(

Antenna location was as up and in the open as I could engineer being mid mast on the FM antenna mast.

Gave up on the XM last fall .... Live N learn
Scott,
Methinks you partially shielded the receiving antenna with the FM antenna. There are just nano volts (well at least micro) of RF radiation presented to the puck and with the other antenna there absorbing some of that energy. I'm not surprised you had reception difficulties.

~23,000 miles is a long journey for that programming and a non-parabolic receive antenna.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Never had signal strength issues in wide open spaces, but a total LACK OF when Mountains, Trees etc obstructed a clear sky view in a south easterly direction.
This quite often when in the canyon lands of the pacific northwest .......

PMitchell said:
Scott,
Methinks you partially shielded the receiving antenna with the FM antenna. There are just nano volts (well at least micro) of RF radiation presented to the puck and with the other antenna there absorbing some of that energy. I'm not surprised you had reception difficulties.

~23,000 miles is a long journey for that programming and a non-parabolic receive antenna.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the replies. I'm using a seperate antenna than I had on the Jeep. I have an extra one I used and installed on the bike for testing purposes. I moved the radio to the Jeep and had no problems. When it's on the bike, it appears to only fade in and our while moving. Even in open areas away from trees, mountains, any other obstructions. I constantly get "Check Antenna connection", or "Aquiring Signal".Now I'm thinking there might be some kind of interferance from my bike. :bmw:

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Hi I had that problem and it turned out the connector on the wire going into the radio got loose and i I replaced the antenna and no more problems for 3 years. Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
IF you are using the little antenna provided by XM, you need to mount it to a piece of metal

I have problems in the winter with road salt (on the roof of the car) with antenna connection issues and all I do is pull up the antenna and clean it off

Metal provides a quasi-ground plane and the antenna needs that to receive properly

Try tackng on a small piece of flat iron, etc and attach the antenna and see what happens

It should correct the main problem of connectivity

GL

I named my '04 BMW R1200CL, Frank..cause it's a beemer GET IT Beemer..Frank Frank Beemer!!! It's a joke son GO HOKIES

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have my antenna on top of my flag pole on the rack on the trunk. In four years it has never faded in or out. Works pretty slick. Chuck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts