BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've put down the tools, having decided to wire the XM radio up to the dash light...per recommendation.

Is there a tutorial somewhere concerning just HOW to possibly run the wire up there to the light? Must be some simple way to route it, but I have yet to figure it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or......

Should I just run the wires directly to the battery, which would be very simple??

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Running the wires to the battery directly may not be a good idea depending on which unit you are installing. If it is the modulator that goes in the antenna line, it would be constantly drawing power, even when the head unit was off. Could leave you with a dead battery. I am not familiar with the other XM units. Something to consider. Probably why the light was mentioned as a power source as it is switched off with the key.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yup, the map light is your best power source for "SWITCHED" power.

I have the radar & Gps off the map light so circuit colapes ONLY with key being off at LOCK position
But remains on with just ignition off.

But have my DC power converter for "RoadyII" (12v to 6v) running off power that powers up heated seat circuit, so It's ONLY on when bike is running.

The little "XM" will suck the life out of your battery in short order if left on !!

Scott

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Xm Hardwired

I'm a little confused here I wired my XM Roady2 direct to the battery, now I think that is just a voltage converter and with the XM unit switched off how would it still draw power?
Also the direct wired antenna has no power source it just plugs into the antenna and into the Roady.
Are we talking about the same thing?
Should this thread be moved to Farkles/satalite radio?

·
Registered
977 Posts
What they're referring to is the FM MODULATOR, if you have it hardwired to the battery. The FM modulator that I have provides power to the Roady, in addition to intercepting and injecting the signal directly into the radio (via the antenna connection). I have a "Roady I" - I believe the "Roady II" has a built-in modulator.

If you have another means of getting audio into the radio (AUX connection, "plug-in" modulator, or built-in modulator of the Roady II), then you won't have an issue.

EDIT: Just noticed that you have a Roady II - not sure what it's "off" current draw is (if any), but you may want to measure it... I can't imagine it to be too much...YMMV

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New antennae.

Had to buy a new antenna for the little unit today, and was impressed that the large wire bundle fits nicely under the left handlebar cover, without pinching anything! Much cleaner IMO than bundling and Velcro'ing under the unit.

I'm still powering via the BMW plug though, with the "cigarette lighter" convertor attached, 'natch. I've set my unit to turn off after one hour, so no concerns of battery drain should I leave it turned on. (Roady II)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Success

Thanks to everyone's help, my XM is now "hardwired" to the map light, and it works!! Wires are all neatly tucked away, very clean install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
MyFi Sat Radio Options

I have a Delphi MyFi portable Sat radio and am looking for mounting options. I used to carry it in the tank bag on my last bike, but I would like a hard-mount option with a power source for the LT.

I have BMR shelf with arm extensions on both sides that are not presently being used.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts