BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure which 'subforum' in accessories this would go into, since it's applicable to a variety of gadget mounts...

I dug around on the forums a bit before tackling my XM installation, and I don't believe I saw the method I used, so I'll post it here. It took me all of an hour, including taking the pictures, and it turned out pretty clean.

Purchased items:
RoadyHolder, offset right (BMW clutch version), $34, www.hoonhardware.com
XSOReeKey voltage converter (can't remember cost, bought it a long time ago), www.2wheelinnovations.com (think they're out of business, but hoon has an eqivalent power supply for about $30.
Female spade crimp terminals, .110" width

What I hadn't seen before is someone tapping power from a connector I found inside the left handlebar plastic. My '03 LTC has the ComSystem with a PTT button under the left grip, and this connector was a breakout from that harness lead (see first photo below). Anyone know what this connector is normally for? It was just tucked under the handlebar, nothing connected.

I probed the three pins and found black to be ground, white to be dead, and red to be 12VDC switched to the ignition key. I bought the female spade terminals, which fit nicely into the connector housing.

Then I tucked all 600' of wire into the lower handlebar plastic, secured with a few Ty-raps, and was still able to get the upper piece back on with no trouble. I really like having the antenna wire tucked away, rather than bundled up on the back of the RoadyHolder bracket like HoonHardware suggests.

I use the over-the-air FM transmission for the audio hookup - I don't do much cross country travel, so I don't need to worry 'bout the direct FM antenna connection.

Now, if I could just get the iPod hooked up as nicely, I'd be set...

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tips and pics. I am kicking around the idea of getting a GPS and XM Radio and want to DIY install. What are your thoughts on protection from the rain? Does it look like some type of rain-suit would be practical? Or possibly mounting a similar setup on a BMR shelf?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nice install. I've never seen power in the bar on my '05. Looks very clean.

I use the Marine cover for my SkiFi II. Works great. If it looks like it's going to rain, I just snap on the clear cover And Keep riding. I've had it a couple downpours with no leaks. I ordered the cover and mount separately from the marine kit, directly from XM for about $30. The entire marine kit runs about $100 if I remember right. I also ordered an antenna with a 6ft lead so I could get away from that extra 600' of wire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts