BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a recent thread regarding the XL Jpegs and potential marring of the finish on the lower fairing. There were some pictures of a fix with a screw tapped into the stop on the front part of the bar. I had been meaning to check mine to see if I had that problem. Today I wish I had.
It had been over a year since I had dropped my bike at low speed, and I was contemplating replacing the scuffed chrome piece. I'm glad I didn't. Without going into the stupid details the bike went down and as fast as I could I put it right back up. No one saw me. The bad news was that the outside edge of the right XL Jpeg sits flush with the outside edge of the crash bar. Now the Jpeg takes the hit not the plastic part of the crash bar. The regular Jpeg is tucked up under. When the bike falls the Jpeg is now driven inward and unless the stop bar holds the tip of the Jpeg it is driven into the fairing making a nice 2cm x 2cm (roughly) hole. On further inspection the Jpeg on the right did not impact the stop bar until it had pierced the fairing. Previously I noted that the Jpeg had been held in closed position by the little ball and spring gadget. The left side does not appear to be so. It is stopped well short of the fairing by the stop bar. I wish I had fallen to the left.

My suggestion to all with XL Jpegs is to check this so you don't find yourself replacing an expensive fairing panel. I guess I am off to the hardware store to find a screw/bolt to correct my XL peg. Then to price the fairing panel.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Docwagner,

I share your pain, I also experienced this for the first time when my 05 was new. I posted it here and wrote to the manufacturer about the problem. They were sympathetic but I don't think a fix has been implemented.

One other thing to check. The bolts holding the J-Peg in are purposefully made of a soft material so that they will bend on impact. (according to the folks at J-Peg). This is to allow the force to be taken at the bolt and not on the more expensive attached components. At any rate, you may want to take them out and be sure they are not bent. Mine bent causing the pegs to not work smoothly. I was also conserned they might break off while I was riding so I replaced them.

The lower fairing, as I recall, was about $260. The second time I dropped it and punched a hole in the same side I simply cut out a small relief hole around the damaged area and smoothed it out to look like it was made that way. Just a little work with a dremmel and fine sand paper and it will look like it came with a hole for the peg to go into. If I ever drop it on the other side I am going to do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's not a bad suggestion. I might cut a hole. I am also going to try to modify the peg so it won't move so far inward. As far as I can tell the pin is not bent and the peg moves easily. I have spare parts from my old pegs if needed. If they didn't fit me so well I would go back to the old ones.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Check the HoW J-Peg section, there is a fix

As I seem to drop my bike on regular basis, I did the preventive fix described in the HoW.
And I have dropped the bike once on either side. No harm done to the lower fairing or the J-Pegs
Of course this takes more than just pre-cutting the fairing but now it is proven to work.

Regards

·
Registered
327 Posts
me TOO

The XL peg has the part that "turns back" towards you. In my opinion this is wasted metal, as you feet will never go there, That is the source of the hole puncher.

I know many here like the XL pegs. I am not overly impressed. I do not use them very often and they have the hole punching defect. I find just stretching my leg out into the wind for a few seconds relieves any muscle soreness I may have.

For a Farkle that costs $350 they can cause grief and really do not get that much use.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I seem to distantly recall a thread from a few years ago where somebody had a bike totaled by the insurance company as a result of a low-speed tip over that landed on a jpeg. I don't recall the details, but it had something to do with the mount on the jpeg (the solid block of aluminum) bending the mounting tabs on the frame, thus cracking the frame - instead of the jpeg mount breaking.

I may have the details wrong, but I'm sure somebody will chime in and add their $0.03. Don't take this the wrong way - I'm not knocking the jpegs - I've got them and love them. I guess I'm saying don't drop your bike!!!!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To Ari, thanks for the tip. I hadn't seen your post on that upgrade before. Do you think there might be a bolt-on alternative, my welding skills are not so good yet?

To Danbrew, I thought I had the dropping thing under control, hadn't dropped the bike in over a year. Nobody's perfect. I do like the stretch out on my XL pegs.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You can let your "next door" welder do the job

In reply to:

I have not thought about any bolt-on bumpers since welding them to the skirting bracket is so obvious. And if there would be a simple bolt-on fix available J-Peg people should have figured it out by now.

I think that you could easily leave the welding part to someone "up town" as the skirting bracket comes loose very easily and you can prepare all the parts beforehand. So you don't need to haul the whole bike to the welder (or vice versa).
The idea is that you have to strip the fairings off and then reassemble the J-Pegs. Then you can make the needed steel parts (or make them out of stiff cardboard at first), mark the welding position on the skirting bracket and let the pro do the welding part. And this is quite easy as the J-Peg length happens to match the skirting bracket length in such way that you can position the J-Peg stopper in the middle of the skirting bracket. No fancy offsets or similar are needed. Then you just clean and spray paint the skirting bracket and the result looks like it came directly from Bavaria ;-)

Lower fairing needs small Dremeling but that is no big deal. And the end result definetly works. In fact, when I dropped my bike on the left side about a month ago, the left OEM plastic side bumper did not even get a scratch on it. The XL J-Peg did the bumpers job and a little paint was scratched from its "elbow", nothing else.

Regards

·
Registered
241 Posts
RMW said:
Docwagner,

The lower fairing, as I recall, was about $260. The second time I dropped it and punched a hole in the same side I simply cut out a small relief hole around the damaged area and smoothed it out to look like it was made that way. Just a little work with a dremmel and fine sand paper and it will look like it came with a hole for the peg to go into. If I ever drop it on the other side I am going to do the same thing.
Yeah, I decided on preventative measures when I had the XL pegs installed.
I cut holes in the fairing like you Doc (tho both sides). I figured the hole I made would be neater than the one the peg would make. The holes really aren't noticeable especially to those who don't know what they're looking at anyway.

Ride safe,
Steve S.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ari, This gives me some incentive to learn to weld. I bought a nice MIG welder a year ago to help my restore an old Landcruiser and just got too busy to learn. Of course, I won't practice on my bike. Until I fix it I'll make sure I only drop it on the right side.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
danbrew said:
I seem to distantly recall a thread from a few years ago where somebody had a bike totaled by the insurance company as a result of a low-speed tip over that landed on a jpeg. I don't recall the details, but it had something to do with the mount on the jpeg (the solid block of aluminum) bending the mounting tabs on the frame, thus cracking the frame - instead of the jpeg mount breaking.

I may have the details wrong, but I'm sure somebody will chime in and add their $0.03. Don't take this the wrong way - I'm not knocking the jpegs - I've got them and love them. I guess I'm saying don't drop your bike!!!!!
Man, I should have used one of those little smiley things. I drop my bikes all the time. :)

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
The only time I dropped my '02 was off the side stand due to parking it badly on the very edge of the road. Even though I had just gotten the camera out, when I heard it crash I turned around and muscled it right back up as fast as I could. It never even occurred to me to take a pic.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Tomakazie said:
This is what I like about this site... Great Info.... :yeah:
I just ordered a set of XL J-pegs for my 06 LT.
Now I have things to look at and possible preventive maintance on the fiberglass. Great Job guys
If you can wait about two months I have an alternative coming to market (gee - just in time for CCR - imagine that!) that cost less than all the alternatives, carries a lifetime guarantee, are more comfortable than Highway Ottomans or J-Pegs, safer than Mick O' Pegs ....and cannot cause ANY collateral damage in a tipover or crash.

BTW, they are even guaranteed unbreakable in a crash...scratches not covered. ;)

Did I mention they take 15 seconds to install the first time without any tools, cutting or drilling holes, etc., and 1 second to install/remove when you don't want them - and fit in your tank bag with room to spare?

They're called "S****Z" -but don't tell anyone since this is a top secret project! :eek:

(Especially Ari 'cause he'll want a pair....) :D

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
RonKMiller said:
If you can wait about two months I have an alternative coming to market (gee - just in time for CCR - imagine that!) that cost less than all the alternatives, carries a lifetime guarantee, are more comfortable than Highway Ottomans or J-Pegs, safer than Mick O' Pegs ....and cannot cause ANY collateral damage in a tipover or crash.

BTW, they are even guaranteed unbreakable in a crash...scratches not covered. ;)

Did I mention they take 15 seconds to install the first time without any tools, cutting or drilling holes, etc., and 1 second to install/remove when you don't want them - and fit in your tank bag with room to spare?

They're called "S****Z" -but don't tell anyone since this is a top secret project! :eek:

(Especially Ari 'cause he'll want a pair....) :D
OK Ron, you have my curiosity peeked! But 2 months? Come-on guy, that's torture. Even to those of us without the title of "Farkle-Freak"!

John

·
Registered
154 Posts
Gee thanks Ron - I just ordered my XL's this morning

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
RonKMiller said:
If you can wait about two months I have an alternative coming to market that cost less than all the alternatives, carries a lifetime guarantee, are more comfortable than Highway Ottomans or J-Pegs, safer than Mick O' Pegs ....
Ron, what's the issue with Mick-O-Pegs? I was thinking of getting a pair at STC II next week. Since all of these items are new to me I don't have the benefit of knowing the downside to some of these products.

Also, can I assume you will have them for sale after CCR, via "normal" channels?

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
hschisler said:
Ron, what's the issue with Mick-O-Pegs? I was thinking of getting a pair at STC II next week. Since all of these items are new to me I don't have the benefit of knowing the downside to some of these products.

Also, can I assume you will have them for sale after CCR, via "normal" channels?
I think there might be a safety issue with them if you aren't paying attention due to the fact that your feet are literally only inches above the ground when they are engaged... I can think of a number of scenarios that could be ugly.

They certainly will give you a nice alternative postition, and along with my S****z will give you two options. I think the best you can hope for is to constantly change positions every few minutes to avoid cramping and DVT issues. I use my REAR footpegs as well.

I'll have them for sale by the beginning of June or perhaps sooner and will announce it in the general forum. The final design is coming out of the rapid prototype lab at the U of A School of Engineering today at 4:00! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts