BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody out there with an '06 with the xenon headlight, and had HID on an earlier LT tell me how they compare? Is one better than the other or are they the same?
Thanks in advance,
Jeff

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Supposedly the '06 Xenon option includes a revised low beam headlight reflector. High beam is still the same, and still Halogen. I haven't seen one yet to compare though.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know what your searching for. You think that since they have this new kind of head light that all is well. I have an 06, and it still just is not enough light. I"m thinking that I really need to pursue the Hid set up, or the new light system by Dukati that I've seen on this site. Probably just go with the Hid to make sure that I will have enough light out there.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That confirms my fears a little. Here in Euroland there is a EU-regulation that cages with HID with an output of > 2000 lumen must have automatic beam levelling and a headlamp washing device. Chances are that BMW have extended this regulation to the K-motorcycle HID headlamp (anticipating future regulation), and have installed a < 2000 lumen HID lamp. :mad:
Standard output for an H7 halogen lamp is around 1500 - 1650 lumen (depending on type of bulb). That implies only 25 - 30 % gain over halogen.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Zenon

Unscientifically, my 06 K12LT Zenon low beam provides me an estimated 600% better visual acuity than a haligen bulb. It appears the same as in my Infiniti I35 (car). Yes I'm getter older...it works for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richards right, I am hoping for the lighting to be finally "fixed". I still have a ways to go before I can ride again. Here's to hoping that the lighting is improved again, or maybe I'll find a '05 and get HID.
Thanks for the feedback,
Jeff Johnson

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
tazz56 said:
Can anybody out there with an '06 with the xenon headlight, and had HID on an earlier LT tell me how they compare? Is one better than the other or are they the same?
Jeff

Yes, I can. I had the HID setup on my old (2001) Lt and I have the HID setup on the new '06.

Most important change: the reflector and the light pattern has changed DRAMATICALLY! FWIW *I* feel the pattern is as close to optimal as one can get. The light light output is about the same comparing the 'standard' HID and the new HID headlamps.

The high beam is a different story. *I* liked the old setup better. Not because it provided better light, but because it changed the high beam as well as the low beam when you changed the beam height. On the new system only the low beam moves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts