BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlight is way too high. The adjustment knob on the fairing does nothing. I have a Clymer's manual and I am having a tough time figuring it out. The dealers wants 3 hours of labor to tear apart the tupperware to make the adjustment. I have never attempted to tear it down and I am am a bit concerned about doing it. Does anyone have a suggestion, please.......

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
Tear it apart - its just screws, small parts and plastic panels and components!!!!
Get yourself a T25 screw driver and go to town!!

You will learn and save money but not time - learning costs and in this case its time!!

What year bike . . .

If the headlight adjuster is not working you or someone else may have broken it - its easy to break it. A replacement adjuster is not all that expensive.

Forgot to ask - are you handy with hand tools :D

Good luck . . .

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
For front fairings removal:
Click on *Technical* tab on our home page.
Click on *Hall of Wisdom* tab.
Click on *Maintenance*.
Click on *Frame and Bodywork*.
Click on *Front Fairings Removal*.

In addition to mneblett's excellent instructions there, additional pointers are in various posts. A little patience and some organization, you'll fix the problem, save several hunnert bucks, and pat yourself on the back for a job welldone. And further help is available right here if you need us. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Keep in mind the adjustment knob on the fairing is the 'fine' adjustment, used for
changes in load. 2 up etc.

There is a 'coarse' adjustment knob located to the right of the light under the nose fairing. Look for a gear type plastic piece, a bit hard to get at but that will get you in the ballpark.
Probably shows it in the Clymer too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you do decide to tear into it, get a piece of cardboard and label each screw you pull off (if you have kids they are good at this) just pull it off hand it to them, tell them what to write. worked good for my first time pulling the left side.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good advise, I'll give it a try. Wish me luck! BTW, I'm fairly handy, just good enough to be dangerous. :D

THANKS!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts