BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Wunderlich Saddle Bag Protection Bars last week. I got the silver powder coated ones. The finish does a good job matching the other silver pieces on my 2010RT.

The actual installation of the bars will be quite easy...once I can get the rear fairings (trim panels) off the motorcycle. This is necessary to get to one frame component behind that aft fairing that the bars will clamp to.

I have been getting quite good at removing most of the fairing on the right side. It isn't much of a problem after you do it a few times. However getting the rear panel off so far has been a problem for me. There is one screw on each aft fairing panel that must be removed and it is behind the lower fairing near the passenger foot peg on each side. To get access to this I had to remove all of the other fairings. Is there another way to get these screws out without removing all of the fairings?

Once that screw is out on each side, the luggage rack needs to be removed to remove the aft fairings. I have the BMW maintenance CD but I can't really see where the two rear most screws are that hold the luggage rack on are. It looks like there are (6) M6 x 35 screws (2 on each side and 2 right behind the rear seat) and (2) M6 x 25 screws holding the rack to the rear frame. The (2) M6 x 25 screws are the ones I am having difficulty locating.

The only ones I see are (2) screws securing the top of the luggage rack to the standoffs. These are going straight up into the rack and are very tight. These are right on top of the tail light assemble and require removal of said assembly to have access room to remove them. I am not sure these are the correct screws to remove. The detail picture on the CD is so small that the location isn't clear. I am thinking that these are not the correct screws because another picture showing screw removal locations for the rear trim panels (fairings) shows the luggage rack off, tailight assembly hanging loose, and there are no standoffs showing.

Can anyone clarify removal of the luggage rack and aft fairings (trim panels)? Am I making this harder than it should be? The installation of these bars is a piece of cake but disassembling the whole motorcycle to get access to install one clamp is really a problem here and a bit extreme.

Regards,

·
Registered
40 Posts
For the rear luggage rack there are 2 screws located behind the rear light lense. You have to remove the 2 screws either side using a screwdriver to remove the lense then you will see the 2 posts which are upright inside of each there is the screw holding the final section of the rack.

Please do post pics once installed.

Nick

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nick900 said:
For the rear luggage rack there are 2 screws located behind the rear light lense. You have to remove the 2 screws either side using a screwdriver to remove the lense then you will see the 2 posts which are upright inside of each there is the screw holding the final section of the rack.
Nick
You say right behind the rear light lense. Are these actually accessed through the inside of the rear light assy? The ones I found are going straight up securing the part of the rack where the top bag site to two stantions. The rear light lens needs to be removed to give enough room for the torx drive to access them.

I'll post pics if I ever get these installed. I need a big block of time to work on it if I need to remove all the fairings just to get access to that one screw!

Regards,

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
OK Steve, still waiting on pictures of the Saddle Bag Protection Bars on your bike. Don't let us down out here..

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the bars installed today. I just need to reinstall the luggage rack, tail light assembly, panniers, top case, and seats. It got dark on me this afternoon. I work rather slow and meticulously. The installation took me about 3.5 hours.

The bars fit fine without any adjustment. The left side was a bit tighter than the right but worked fine. I test fit the panniers before reinstalling the fairings just to be sure they would not interfere with the bars. The did not!

I found the correct screws holding the back end of the luggage rack with the help of the tech at my local BMW shop...thanks Iron Horse! He also told me the side fairings were pretty flexible and I might be able to remove that one screw holding the front of the aft fairing with out removing all of the fairings. He was correct. I removed all of the covers from the right side but tried removing just the screws from the left lower panel and "bending" it to allow clearance to get that one screw out. That saves some time! I took pictures of the installation on the right side.

If you like to ride your RT with the bags removed frequently you would not be happy with the looks of bike with these bars. But, then again, they are "bag protection bars" and if you use your RT with out the panniers you would have no need for the bars!

I'll post pictures of the finished assembly tomorrow or the next day after I figure out how to post them to the site. I am very pleased with the installation. I like the look and the functionality of these bars! The silver powder coat looks great with my Ostra Gray RT!

Regards,

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Sounds good. My current plans are for a new RT with both the engine and Saddle Bag
guards installed before I even get on it. Ridden on/off very little in the past 28 years, so I
want extra protection while I practice the first few months.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I looked at the pictures on another website and have a question - Is there any interference with the foot pegs or leg position for the pillion? My wife is 5'1" with short legs. If there's no problem then they just might be my next purchase.

Thanks to all of you for the info and tips.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well its 6 days a counting…. Whirs the pictures?
I like the look of those bares and want to here if the passenger is affected :thumb:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pics of the installed bars. I haven't carried a passenger so I don't know if there is any problem with their legs. Someone reported on the Wunderlich site that there are no problems for the passenger's legs at all.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
That is a sweet looking setup!

Is it me, or does it look like they don't go out far enough to protect the paint in a tipover?

Has the manufacturer shown any pics or videos of them with the bike laid down?

Ron

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not going to intentionally lay it on its side to see if the bars hold the bike off the bags. The bars do not stick out much farther than the bags though.

Remember, the bags ar the widest part of the motorcycle. If it falls over it isn't going to lay flat and the front will be lower. It should be resting on the cylinder/fairing in the front and the bar in the rear.

Regards,

·
Registered
498 Posts
cessna said:
I am not going to intentionally lay it on its side to see if the bars hold the bike off the bags. The bars do not stick out much farther than the bags though.

Remember, the bags ar the widest part of the motorcycle. If it falls over it isn't going to lay flat and the front will be lower. It should be resting on the cylinder/fairing in the front and the bar in the rear.

Regards,
Steve,

The bars look surprisingly better than I thought they would and I agree with your assessment on the geometry of a laydown. I laid my 2010 RT (same Ostra Gray Matte as yours) down in a roadside viewing area of Mt. Rushmore last May. Fully loaded extra gear, foot slipped on gravel as I went to park bike on a down and back slanted parking spot... it was all over in seconds! The bars I am sure would have save me the $500 I paid for a new pannier lid.

BTW is that a Russell seat?

·
Registered
726 Posts
First of all, Good morning!
Now...lawrence_D
Your pics are great. As I expected these bars will not protect the bags from when the bike folles over. They will help some but fall short of doing the job.
Would it not be nice if bar went along the bottom of the bag to the back so it would protect it? Kinda like a GS?
That said. philh24....the video of the RT falling over just makes shiver in disgust to see them doing that unpropose!
Dont get me wrong I will purchase these bars, just would like a little more protection.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
cessna said:
Here are some pics of the installed bars. I haven't carried a passenger so I don't know if there is any problem with their legs. Someone reported on the Wunderlich site that there are no problems for the passenger's legs at all.

Regards,
They don't seem to come out far enough to protect the bags. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Lawrence_D said:
Steve,

The bars look surprisingly better than I thought they would and I agree with your assessment on the geometry of a laydown. I laid my 2010 RT (same Ostra Gray Matte as yours) down in a roadside viewing area of Mt. Rushmore last May. Fully loaded extra gear, foot slipped on gravel as I went to park bike on a down and back slanted parking spot... it was all over in seconds! The bars I am sure would have save me the $500 I paid for a new pannier lid.

BTW is that a Russell seat?
Looks like it might be a Corbin?

·
Registered
61 Posts
cessna said:

Regards,

Cessna: They look great!

What kind of seat do you have?
How happy are you with it?

Thanks

Marcelo

·
Registered
196 Posts
cessna said:

Regards,
To each his own. I personally think they look goofy and offer little protection from cosmetic damage in a fall or crash. I've seen bikes with crash pucks installed that stick out an inch or two from the fairing and the bike still got all scratched up as well as the crash pucks being severely bent and damaged during a crash or fall. Like I said, to each his own. They do look well engineered for mounting and match the silver already on the bike.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts