BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my problem.
I recently installed a set of Wunderlich LED flood lights on my 2015 R1200RT. The lights come on as they should when the ignition is on and I flip the handlebar switch. However, even once I've turned them off and turned the ignition off, after a day the battery is dead.
So the lights appear to be drawing current even when off and the bike is off. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Hi Guys,
Hoping someone might be able to shed some light on my problem.
I recently installed a set of Wunderlich LED flood lights on my 2015 R1200RT. The lights come on as they should when the ignition is on and I flip the handlebar switch. However, even once I've turned them off and turned the ignition off, after a day the battery is dead.
So the lights appear to be drawing current even when off and the bike is off. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Thanks in advance
The only thing if the light are not on, is the switch lighted?

What are they running from/off of? Battery, fuse block, relay to battery then ignition on switched wire?

Need just a bit more info.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A question, is the battery still the original that came with the bike when new?
Just asking because it could just be a coincidence

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,534 Posts
Or you could temporarily disconnect the lights and see if the battery also dies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing if the light are not on, is the switch lighted?

What are they running from/off of? Battery, fuse block, relay to battery then ignition on switched wire?

Need just a bit more info.
Hi Laf,
Thanks for your reply.
There is no light on the switch when the bike is off, only when the lights are turned on with the ignition on or engine running. This is how it should be.

It does not go to the battery fuse box.
A lead goes from the positive terminal on the battery to a relay, this then goes to the switch which has a lead coming off halfway which splices into the DIN socket wiring (I don't know why). Another lead goes from the relay to the lights, then back to the negative.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A question, is the battery still the original that came with the bike when new?
Just asking because it could just be a coincidence
Hi Pat,
I bought a brand new battery as I thought the same thing but the new battery was dead within 3 days!

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
The only thing I can think of is it is somehow the relay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing I can think of is it is somehow the relay?
i did have to muck about with the order of the wires to get the lights to work. Do you know how a battery can drain even though the lights are off? Also why do you think I had to splice a wire into the DIN / Aux power socket wiring?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Disconnect the LED lights, then top charge the battery and see if the battery discharges again. You need to isolate the electrical connections of all aftermarket add on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i did have to muck about with the order of the wires to get the lights to work. Do you know how a battery can drain even though the lights are off? Also why do you think I had to splice a wire into the DIN / Aux power socket wiring?
What did you do with the wire near the no. 7 on your diagram? How exactly did you muck up the wire order? I'm thinking you may have bypassed the relay altogether and are operating the lights directly with the switch. The relay may be powered up all the time with incorrect wiring. Try unplugging the relay and see if the lights still operate. It probably won't last long if you did. It may even be getting warm to the touch when operating the lights. Not knowing how you changed the wiring from the manufacturers intended wiring it would be hard for us to tell you what is wrong.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The diagram that PatM55 is showing is correct. The actual switch is not shown but would be hooked to the wire labeled switch and the wire shown near the no 7 label is your diagram. The no. 7 wire should be hooked to a wire that is switched with the ignition.

·
Cat Herder
1,537 Posts
Sounds like a short someplace along the path of wires or the relay. I wonder if the first light in the diagram is shorting to the frame.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Using the oem DIN socket to power the relay lights come on with the (ignition on) can keep the computer live. Sounds weird but ... does not take much current draw to keep the socket live after you turn off the bike.
As suggested, rewire with the relay diagram and through your switch, no connection to the DIN socket. Just use your relay, switch to battery positive then to the relay coil and call it good. If you want them to come on when the bike starts find another "trigger hot wire that comes on when bike is on line, like the parking light hot side. Then you will not need a switch unless you want to be able to turn them off when the bike is running. If you use just a switch to turn them on and off most switches can easily handle LED lamp loads with no relay. Straight forward and easy. I think the proper trigger wire is the key if you want to have "auto" on/off.

Reactions: YXEBears

·
Registered
2020 R1250RT
27 Posts
Agreed with beech's statement- all the wiring etc may be correctly connected and such, but still "fooling" the datalink into cycling power- others have had this happen with USB sockets powered by the DIN plug.
Am thinking that the wire you mention that connects to the DIN plug is to "sense" when the ignition is powered- but again even a micro draw here will power the data system.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just a thought...but if the relay has 5 terminals it would have a normally open circuit and a normally closed circuit. If you used the normally closed circuit it would take power from the light switch to the relay to turn off the lights. An energized relay would run the battery down in a day or two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts