BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put a set on my 2011 for the AK trip and they look pretty good. I was hoping I could leave the Ilium hwy pegs #19-600 but alas they just won't work with the engine guards.
Anyhow I posted to let those inquiring minds benefit from my experiments. I installed the EG's and then slipped the left hand hwy peg mount behind the guard and into its appropriate space on the frame and engine. It appeared with 1" removed from the adjustable arm they would slip right behind the guards and allow me to run the hwy pegs. I removed 1" from the rear end of the mount and sure enough fit perfect. I then moved to the right side and repeated the procedure, BUT..... the engine guard down tube is too close to allow the mount to fit on that side. So back off they both come to try option 2.
Option 2 was to purchase the 22.5mm-25mm sleeves from Ilium works to mount the hwy pegs directly to the Wunderlich engine guard. Enter problem number 2. The 19-600 peg back piece has a solid pin used in the detent of the stock mount. Shaved the pin off flush with the sleeve and it bolted right onto the engine guard horizontal bar.
Ilium Works website says these pegs will not work with this engine guard and they do offer a set of hwy pegs identical to the one's I installed less the pin and with a set screw.
Long and short is if you already have the Ilium hwy pegs and you decide to install the Wunderlich engine guards, the Illium pegs will work with the sleeves if you shave the pin off. I left just enough pin to act as a set pin when I tightened the peg mounts down.
Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you have Ilium Works highway pegs they will do a god job of protecting the engine, at least at low speed. I had a parking lot drop due to loose surface and the pegs did not bend at all. A minor scuff was all.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John_1142, I think I may have ordered a second set of the 19-XXX sleeves by mistake, so if they show up I'll let you know and mail them to you. I'll contact you for an addy if they show up in the next day or two.
If they don't come I can also save you some money. Ask around any construction site for a piece of electrical conduit scrap 5/8" but 1/2" will work, cut it to length, split it in half and drill a 3/8 hole on one side that has the pin.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm curious why you didn't order the highway pegs from Ilium that work with the Wunderlich bars in the first place? Did you already own that part before getting the engine guards?

I actually put on the Wunderlich guards last week and am waiting for delivery of my Ilium pegs 19-200 along with the 19-XXX.

Btw, aren't the Wunderlich guards nice.
Ken

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To address the question, yes I already had the Ilium 19-600 hwy peg kit on the RT. Decided to add the engine bars because I like them better than the little covers for protection. The Ilium guards are nice as well but at $100 more, I couldn't see it. Most I'm gonna do is have it fall off the kickstand when it sinks into the ground, lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.