BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed Wunderlich bars with Ilium highway pegs on my 2012 RT.

They look great and the fairing don't push your legs out where you are not in an uncomfortable position with your feet on the pegs.

The Wunderlich bars look like they are part of the bike in terms of fit and finish. They even have a metal flake appearance.

The only negative is vibration on my feet. It is not too bad above 4000 RPM. I'm wondering if I put a rubber bushing between the bars and the mounting points on the bike.

Ken

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just a word of caution on the Wunderlich bars. My neighbor has an 08 RT and had the bars put on when he bought the bike. He was in his garage and got the bike off center and and it tipped over and landed on one of the bars. The good thing is that it protected the jug the bad part is that it broke the ring around the bolt where a nut is welded to that holds the upper attachment of the bars. The bolt runs through the engine and come out on the other side where another ring is located. The warranty on the bike wouldn't cover it because it was broke by an aftermarket product. It's not an easy fix because the bike and engine has to be dismantled to fix it. Needless to say he still has the Wunderlich bars on the bike but it hasn't been fixed. My Ztechnick bars also use this upper attachment point but in an entirely different way. I haven't looked at that upper attachment nut on an 2012 and it's possible that something may have changed from the earlier design.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just 2 words of caution about the Ilium pegs. I bought mine a few days shy of one year ago. Toward the end of the 2011 riding season, after less than 6 months of use, the spring loaded ball bearing that locks the hinged foot pedal in place when open and closed froze. I just thought it was a little stuck so I pulled on the foot pedal to get it back into the folded position. Well the bearing didn't move and dug a groove into the foot pedal detente so that it would not stay closed. Fortunately Ilium replaced it no problem.

I took out the RT this year for one of the first rides, and when I got back from the ride the other foot pedal was missing! The foot pedal hinge bolt must have worked its way out. I am waiting to hear back from Ilium on what they will do for me.

The Ilium pegs look like beautiful pieces of work, but there seems to be some inherent design flaws. So lube the ball bearings and check all the bolts regularly. I really didn't want foot pegs that required more preventive maintenance than my motorcycle!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ozonewanderer said:
Just 2 words of caution about the Ilium pegs. I bought mine a few days shy of one year ago. Toward the end of the 2011 riding season, after less than 6 months of use, the spring loaded ball bearing that locks the hinged foot pedal in place when open and closed froze. I just thought it was a little stuck so I pulled on the foot pedal to get it back into the folded position. Well the bearing didn't move and dug a groove into the foot pedal detente so that it would not stay closed. Fortunately Ilium replaced it no problem.

I took out the RT this year for one of the first rides, and when I got back from the ride the other foot pedal was missing! The foot pedal hinge bolt must have worked its way out. I am waiting to hear back from Ilium on what they will do for me.

The Ilium pegs look like beautiful pieces of work, but there seems to be some inherent design flaws. So lube the ball bearings and check all the bolts regularly. I really didn't want foot pegs that required more preventive maintenance than my motorcycle!
Thanks for the heads up on this. I too have the Illium pegs and have had them for about 14 months and have had no issues with them but I'm going to check the bolts just in case. Yeah, I already have a long enough pre-ride check list and it would really suck having to add the pegs to it. Lets us know what you find out from Illium. We've had HJC helmets for a couple of years now and last year my wife's helmet started to have an issue with plastic screws coming loose. The screws hold the visor gizmo to the helmet and visor clips to the gizmo. Last year while we were getting gas she flipped up her visor and I saw one of these screws go flying. Found out that all the other screws were ready to fall out. I tightened all the screws only to find out that she lost two of them on a ride about a month ago. Just got some new screws from HJC and I put a dab of silicone on each one so hopefully they won't fall out again. My helmet which is the same helmet as her's hasn't had this problem, but I now feel that I have to add "check helmet screws" to my pre-ride check list.

·
Registered
350 Posts
After 4 months with my Illum pegs I was having issues with extending and retracting them. Truthfully, I found them of limited use. Yes, it's nice to have a place to move your feet to, but I couldn't leave them on the Illum pegs, as the positioning forced me into a slump.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
05Train said:
After 4 months with my Illum pegs I was having issues with extending and retracting them. Truthfully, I found them of limited use. Yes, it's nice to have a place to move your feet to, but I couldn't leave them on the Illum pegs, as the positioning forced me into a slump.

This is my 2nd year with Ilium pegs, so thanks for the heads-up. I will double check mine, but so far no issues, and I love them. I do keep my bike in a garage and have not had a lot of riding in rain. I am not sure if that would contribute to issues with them or not, but so far mine have been great.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Installed the Illum pegs about a year ago. It was nice to have an alternate foot rest position and found the redirected air into the cockpit refreshing during the summer months. But I always had that nagging feeling that the pegs may potentially ground out on a steep curve. So I finally took the pegs off a couple weeks ago and started taking steep curves with more confidence. As I took steeper curves, the bracket holding the pegs scrapped the ground. Between the alternate foot rest position and steep curves, the ability to take steep curves far exceeds the benefits of an alternate foot rest position. It is just a matter of time before I take the bracket off. The capability to push the threshold on sport riding is a personal preference. Certainly not saying that one choice is better then another. I just value sport riding over having the alternate pegs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts