BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I am with cruise engaged @80 mph in the far left of the Interstate and then.......total shutdown of engine power. No warning, no sputter, nada. Now I have an SUV up my rearend and I am trying to get right (virtually no left shoulder, just rail along the median) with maniacs blowing past. :cussing:

Finally get over and find the A #4 fuse (Motronic) fried. Plug in a spare from the toolbag and she fires right up without a sputter. Goes another 20 miles to home running perfectly. What in the world is that all about? Never had the slightest electrical problem with this machine. Just glad it didn't happen at night or heavy weather.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi
Not a mechanic, and hopefully it was just a freak thing. Maybe a faulty fuse that could have gone anytime. I would certainly check for any grounded out or loose wiring. Other than that I would keep some spares handy and hope for the best. If it happens again I would take it in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I think the "way out" will be to put her on the market this spring. She's getting up in years and about time for some major stuff (rear seal/clutch etc) to start going south. With electrical gremlins now showing up, the signs are there. Better to put those repair $$$$ toward something new. Now what to buy?............

·
Registered
654 Posts
Caused by Homotrons, queer electrons that go around blowing fuses.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
zaphod said:
Caused by Homotrons, queer electrons that go around blowing fuses.
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there...

·
Registered
176 Posts
gunny said:
You should be able to tell by looking if the fuse blew due to an overload or a short circuit.
It's easy to find the source, just put a 50A fuse in, when the smoke clears replace all the burnt pieces.

-Scurrie

·
Registered
726 Posts
Scurrie,

That comment had me laughing like a crazy man!! I KNEW there had to be an easier means of locating electrical problems. That 50 A component stress test should isolate the issue in very short order.... Should come packaged with a halon fire suppression unit!!!

Homotrons........I learn something new everytime I come to this site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts