BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broken trunk latch added to the list of things to fix this winter. Has anyone installed the bmwrider79 latch? Is it tricky to rivet back together? How does it compare to the Millenhaus latch? I hope we have a long winter as this "to fix" list just keeps getting longer. The only things that have saved this bike from the auction block are the good people at this site, aftermarket parts and Avon tires!

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I installed the Millenhause latch.
First rate
Very easy to do.

·
Registered
470 Posts
also did Millenhause latch 1.5 years ago. Never worry about cranking down on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've done the Millenhause latch also. Installation was straight forward and have not had any problems with it.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
BMWrider79 Trunk Latch

I am the odd ball again and used the BMWrider79 latch. The instructions where very straight forward and took about 2 1/2 hrs to do. Latch operation is very smooth now. I suspect it could have been done faster but I prefer to error on the side of caution. It usually hurts me and my pocket book less that way. Product is solid aluminum and I doubt it would break under normal wear and tear. You try and pack everything plus the kitchen sink and I don't think any latch will handle that.

NOTE: You will need a pop rivet gun capable of handling 3/16 rivets for this install.

Note 2: Damn e-clips can vaporize in a heart beat or less.

Roy

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
bigbear said:
.........You try and pack everything plus the kitchen sink and I don't think any latch will handle that...Roy
Oh, I don't know, I once had to lay my ST1100 down on a pannier that wouldn't close due to over stuffing it. The catch held just find afterwards.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Latch

Thanks to all who responded. I will probably do the $225 bmwrider79 latch only because the extra $125 for the Millenhaus latch can be used to pay for other repairs that have popped up lately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts