BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again everyone,

I hope you all don't mind my recent barrage of questions about this bike. I am very close to purchse and since I have ever owned a BMW before, I am trying to make an informed decision.

I am certainly not an experienced motorcycle mechanic by any stretch of the imagination... However, I do like to do some of the smaller stuff like oil changes, bulb replacements, etc.

With all of that 'tupperware', how difficult is it on this bike to perform a simple oil change and other routine maintenance?

Thanks!

Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
1. Get a manual or at least download detailed instructions.
2. Be clean and organized.
3. Ask question here if you aren't sure.
You shouldn't have any problems with routine service and minor repairs.
 

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
Brian I am new to working on my bike as well. I get great advise and guidance through this site. I did buy the Clymers manual which is a great help. I am not sure it is available for the 08 yet; however, your bike will be under warranty :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,883 Posts
Probably don't even need a manual

I've been doing all fluids except the hydraulics (break & clutch) minor adjustments, installs like an intercom, HID light, GPS, etc and all is pretty basic. Just go slow, do searches on this site for additional info and attend a local tech session. It really is not hard. Just take little steps,go slow and don't hesitate to ask....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,669 Posts
bjoseph said:
Hi again everyone,

I hope you all don't mind my recent barrage of questions about this bike. I am very close to purchse and since I have ever owned a BMW before, I am trying to make an informed decision.

I am certainly not an experienced motorcycle mechanic by any stretch of the imagination... However, I do like to do some of the smaller stuff like oil changes, bulb replacements, etc.

With all of that 'tupperware', how difficult is it on this bike to perform a simple oil change and other routine maintenance?

Thanks!

Brian
You actually do not have to remove any tupperware for the oil change. :)
Just did the first service on my new one and the only thing in the way was the skid pan(4 screws) very straight forward. You will need a BMW filter wrench and the BMW oil filters come with all the crush washers and o-rings etc.
+1 one the manual though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

D.Kinsey said:
You actually do not have to remove any tupperware for the oil change. :)
Just did the first service on my new one and the only thing in the way was the skid pan(4 screws) very straight forward. You will need a BMW filter wrench and the BMW oil filters come with all the crush washers and o-rings etc.
+1 one the manual though.
So what do you think of your 08 LT so far? Are you glad you have it? Any regrets or disappointments so far?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
ive recently gone through the "task" of asking my local dealer
whether or not i should do intermediate oil and filter changes,
they seemed to think it was not necessary. "just keep her topped
up properly" was the consensus.
i asked about the warranty and if i could do any work myself
*(to make things less expensive)
but was told that any work that i did, if it caused problems
would invalidate the warranty.
after the 2 year warranty is finished, then i think its a no
brainer, but until then i'm being very careful to keep all the
warranty conditions on the LT.

my GS recently needed a very expensive speedo head unit
under warranty (it was a 2nd user bike from the dealer)
and i was tempted to work on that myself, but resisted
until the warranty is finished in about 6 months time...

any opinions ?

cheers, al
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
For half of my motorcycle live I always had someone who could do the wrenching on my bikes, for almost nothing and with a high grade of accuracy.
Then I moved to States and had to learn it my self since I could not find a dealer who does it right, and then there is that outrageous prices they charge...

So, I start to learn. I'm a software guy, never had anything more complicated then a screw drive on my hand.

From this forum I learn practical 95% of I need to know to work on my LT and on my GS. It's not complicated at all and don't let the plastic tupperware bother you: after so many times I can take both sides and the radio out and back in less then 1 hour, and put all screws on the same boll and put back right again. My point is that if I can do it, I'm sure you can since you state that you already do it on your other bikes. Peace of cake!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
alex_crawford said:
...
i was tempted to work on that myself, but resisted
until the warranty is finished in about 6 months time...

any opinions ?

cheers, al
I have a 1999 LT that I start working only when the warranty went out, then I bought this 2002. It went to dealer service only 3 times: one for valve check (now I'm doing it my self) and 2 for break flush (I'm not planning to learn that ever).
All oil changes and filter in between I did my self and never was asked why. Mean time they have few 'under warranty' services, like fuel cable replacement, comm system fix, and other minor issues, but I was never asked why I don't have the 6K, 12K, 18K, 24K and 36K services done with then.
What I do is use always BMW genuine parts, bought at the very same dealer and keep the receipts.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top