BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had new tires put on my 99' LT by a local motorcycle shop. I had a rear and the shop got the front Metzler for me. The charge for labor to remove from the bike, mount and balance both tires was $192.00. Was I overcharged because the shop is not familiar with LT's or is that close to being normal? If so, I guess I need to learn to take the tires off myself.

What have you folks paid for this service lately?

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You was robbed. Worst deal I had was $60 per tire.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had my tires changed on Tuesday. I was quoted $25 per tire a few weeks ago. I brought in the new tires and the took the wheels off the bike as well. I bought the dynabeads to eliminate the need to balance the tires. My bill was $112. When I inquired as to why, when there was no need to balance the tire or anything, they told me that the dynabeads were a pain in the ass. They spent extra time and effort to clean the rims and make sure that the grease was not inside the rim.

I think that I will change my own tires from now on.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
cealbrecht said:
They spent extra time and effort to clean the rims and make sure that the grease was not inside the rim.
What grease? I use carb cleaner and scotchbrite before mounting a tire to get rid of rubber that is stuck on the bead from the old tire. This lets the new tire seat better without much bleed down. I'm trying to figure out what grease they're talking about.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
cealbrecht said:
I had my tires changed on Tuesday. I was quoted $25 per tire a few weeks ago. I brought in the new tires and the took the wheels off the bike as well. I bought the dynabeads to eliminate the need to balance the tires. My bill was $112. When I inquired as to why, when there was no need to balance the tire or anything, they told me that the dynabeads were a pain in the ass. They spent extra time and effort to clean the rims and make sure that the grease was not inside the rim.

I think that I will change my own tires from now on.
Really is the way to go. Changing your own tires is not that bad after a time or two.

Also you will never get anyone to work on your bike as you would. That is why I do it.

I do understand the comment on the "Placebo Beads". I just changed both tires over to them and a valve steam replacement. I did take extra care in sanding the bead and rim and made sure they were then cleaned and waxed. After getting both sides of the tire on the rim, I did wipe everything clean again and used just a bit on the tire bead to seat them as I did not want water and soap in the tires.

Now was that 192 for the front tire and mounting them both?

Or was that just mounting charge, and the front tire was a bill on top of that?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
If that is labor AND the tire they furnished, that is high but not atrocious. If it does NOT include the tire, then it is absolutely ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Actually, I have encountered dealers charging similar amounts. When I questioned the rate increase I was told BMW's labor price guide had been changed to more accurately reflect actual time required for each model bike. They would no longer charge the same rate for a F650 and an LT since the LT was far more labor intensive. Perhaps there is some truth to that but I'm not willing to pay an hour of full shop rate for a tire swap.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
grifscoots said:
What grease? I use carb cleaner and scotchbrite before mounting a tire to get rid of rubber that is stuck on the bead from the old tire. This lets the new tire seat better without much bleed down. I'm trying to figure out what grease they're talking about.
The grease was for him :D

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dshealey said:
If that is labor AND the tire they furnished, that is high but not atrocious. If it does NOT include the tire, then it is absolutely ridiculous.

No, that was just the labor. I believe this young man is a good mechanic, but I must have paid for his "learning curve" on an LT.

·
Registered
256 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
...I believe this young man is a good mechanic, but I must have paid for his "learning curve" on an LT.
How many hours, and what $/hour rate? Then, go ask him if it really took him that long...

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
That seems high. But, depending on the shop rate and the experience of the fellow doing the work, it could take some time. Probably best to ask up front next time.

I have been using the same little shop to do my tires for the last 8 or 9 years. I bring in the rims with the old tires and they mount and balance for the price of the tire. And the tire prices have been pretty good. But, the place changed hands and the prices went up quite a bit so I decided to do the Tiger tires my self this time. Haven't done it since I raced dirt bikes a long time ago. Not bad. Saved a hundred bucks on the first go around which paid for the Marc Parnes balancer. Forgot to order weights when I got the balancer so I stopped by the local BMW dealer to pick up a few. They wanted $2.99 for each 1/4 oz weight. :eek: The local auto tire place gave me a couple of strips of 12 for free.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Jim said:
That seems high. But, depending on the shop rate and the experience of the fellow doing the work, it could take some time. Probably best to ask up front next time.

I have been using the same little shop to do my tires for the last 8 or 9 years. I bring in the rims with the old tires and they mount and balance for the price of the tire. And the tire prices have been pretty good. But, the place changed hands and the prices went up quite a bit so I decided to do the Tiger tires my self this time. Haven't done it since I raced dirt bikes a long time ago. Not bad. Saved a hundred bucks on the first go around which paid for the Marc Parnes balancer. Forgot to order weights when I got the balancer so I stopped by the local BMW dealer to pick up a few. They wanted $2.99 for each 1/4 oz weight. :eek: The local auto tire place gave me a couple of strips of 12 for free.
Must of been the gold plated weights :rolleyes:

Absolutely Insane!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I do it for 10.00 per wheel on or off the bike.

OF course I don't do it as much for the money as for meeting people to ride with.
10.00 covers weights, valve stems and tire disposal.

192.00 seems steep.
A hard motorcycle only takes about an hour.
Hard would be like a Royal Star.

The LT is not a hard bike to pull apart.

·
Registered
624 Posts
mjordans2000 said:
Actually, I have encountered dealers charging similar amounts. When I questioned the rate increase I was told BMW's labor price guide had been changed to more accurately reflect actual time required for each model bike. They would no longer charge the same rate for a F650 and an LT since the LT was far more labor intensive. Perhaps there is some truth to that but I'm not willing to pay an hour of full shop rate for a tire swap.
As I'm in the middle of changing wheels, the chain, and both sprockets on my G650X, I can tell you that doing it on the LT is a LOT LESS labor intensive. Even changing tires on my GSA is less labor intensive than the thumper is. Probably because there is no good way to pick up the front end of the G650X.

I can set up, pull the wheels, remove a set of tires, mount a fresh set, remount the wheels, tear down, and clean up in 75 minutes with my GSA. The LT was faster because the rear brake rotor is mounted to the final drive and you don't have to pull the rear caliper.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You did get ripped off - however I don't think you would have saved any money going to BMW.

What you need to do is learn to do it yourself. It's simple - I take off the wheels & remove the rotors then bring it to any tire shop to mount and balance, they usually charge me $10.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I just changed both my own out. The rear comes off with five bolts. The front comes off with four fender bolts (optional, but recommended) four caliper bolts, two pinch bolts, one axle bolt, and ten rotor bolts. Yes, that's 21 fasteners to remove and reinstall for the front wheel. $192.00 is pretty high but if it was not an experienced BMW mechanic not all that bad if that included a tire.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
deanwoolsey said:
I just changed both my own out. The rear comes off with five bolts. The front comes off with four fender bolts (optional, but recommended) four caliper bolts, two pinch bolts, one axle bolt, and ten rotor bolts. Yes, that's 21 fasteners to remove and reinstall for the front wheel. $192.00 is pretty high but if it was not an experienced BMW mechanic not all that bad if that included a tire.

Sadly, it did not include a tire!. It was just the labor.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
You may have just received the prize for the most expensive single tire change... ever. $192 for labor? For one tire? "Unconscionable" is the word that comes to mind.

At that rate you could buy a tire changer and it would pay for itself very, very quickly.

I started doing my own tires this year.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I pull the tires myself and have them mounted and balanced. It cost around $40 a tire.................. :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Feb 2008, I gave Lone Star the front and rear rubber and the bike; they charged me $45/tire to remove from the bike, mount/balance new tire, and install (no good night kiss like you got).

You wuz robbed.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts