BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Classified Forum really rocks!!! Today I received a check for $1250.00 for a used windscreen I was only asking $150.00 for. A early Christmas for me I guess.

Here's one of several emails I have received from the purchaser:

Hello Steven,

First off, I apologisse for the delay in the delivery of the payment. The
payment was actually mailed out on friday after some series of error has
beeen rectified. I look forward to the delivery of the payment to you this
week. As soon as you have the payment, kindly send me a note of
acknowledgement. You will have to bear with me.
However, due to an urgent reason, I included the shipping fee with the cost
of the item. All you'll do when you get the payment is to deduct only the
windshield fee and get the remainging funds forwarded to the shipping
company that will be coming for the pick-up of the item.

Thanks very much for your patience and your understanding as well.

Best Regards,
- Bruce.

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
slmorley said:
The Classified Forum really rocks!!! Today I received a check for $1250.00 for a used windscreen I was only asking $150.00 for. A early Christmas for me I guess.

Here's one of several emails I have received from the purchaser:

Hello Steven,

First off, I apologisse for the delay in the delivery of the payment. The
payment was actually mailed out on friday after some series of error has
beeen rectified. I look forward to the delivery of the payment to you this
week. As soon as you have the payment, kindly send me a note of
acknowledgement. You will have to bear with me.
However, due to an urgent reason, I included the shipping fee with the cost
of the item. All you'll do when you get the payment is to deduct only the
windshield fee and get the remainging funds forwarded to the shipping
company that will be coming for the pick-up of the item.

Thanks very much for your patience and your understanding as well.

Best Regards,
- Bruce.
Dad gum - ole Bruce musta come into a sizeable inheritance, or sumpthin'!!! I got the same crapola on the exhaust system I have listed in the classified. I told ole Bruce that we could deduct the shipping cost, since his shipper wuz gonna pick up the unit, butt for him to give his shipper the 'cash' to hand to me when he picked it up. Ole Bruce didn't like that - wondered why I didn't trust him - and I haven't heard a word since!! Duh.

I had asked someone to run a 'who is/where is' trace for me, and ole Bruce is in Lago, Nigeria.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cool ... I have a check coming for my Bakup backrest from Bruce as well!

Just in case ... anyone else is welcome to make an offer on it ... lol

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Bruce must only have one story and he copies and pastes it in each new endeavor. I got the exact same email with the same misspellings on my 99 RT which is for sale. I just told him that he should be ashamed of himself and haven't heard a word since.

I wonder what you would find if you took the check to your bank and asked them to run a check on it? It would be nice to track this guy down and get him out of the scam business.

·
Cat Herder
5,852 Posts
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE everybody who does get offers from this asshat. F*ck with him as long as possible. let him send you checks, Then of course you start asking irate where the promised checks are (even if they arrived). Do everything you can to waste his time and money. thats the only weapon we have against these guys.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Who was it a while back who turned the scam back on to the scamer, he had him doing all sorts of stuff, even had the scamer get a tatoo!

It was great!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andy said:
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE everybody who does get offers from this asshat. F*ck with him as long as possible. let him send you checks, Then of course you start asking irate where the promised checks are (even if they arrived). Do everything you can to waste his time and money. thats the only weapon we have against these guys.

Agreed. You need to encourage him to follow thru with the sale. He will send you, as he did me, a next day air package with check thru FedEx. That's got to cost him a few bucks!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
slmorley said:
Agreed. You need to encourage him to follow thru with the sale. He will send you, as he did me, a next day air package with check thru FedEx. That's got to cost him a few bucks!

Steve, What did you do with the check??

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had one of these guys try a different scam on me in California a few years back.

The net net was that they do have people working with them in the US. The FedEx I got was posted from CA not to far from where I live.

The scammer was smart enough to look up the public records on my house and threaten me with foreclosure by the City Constable. He of course had my deed info and address etc. in the letter.

Of course there is no Constable and it of course would neither be a forclosure matter nor would it be a city matter.

In either case I was concerned that they can get details on you and they DO work with locals here in the states...

·
Registered
478 Posts
yup a classic scam
watch out for people trying to get your paypal address always have them email you
a bill not other way.
i was trying to sell my 06 meanstreak a while ago someone try to clip me
for my paypal account & the bike

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Here is a check I got in the mail yesterday for my RT and the most ridiculous letter of instructions that I have ever seen.
I am going to the U.S. Post Office tomorrow to see if I can enter a complaint. I have my doubts that they will do anything.

I posted this on the similar thread on the Chit Chat forum as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boatzo said:
Here is a check I got in the mail yesterday for my RT and the most ridiculous letter of instructions that I have ever seen.
I am going to the U.S. Post Office tomorrow to see if I can enter a complaint. I have my doubts that they will do anything.

I posted this on the similar thread on the Chit Chat forum as well.
Sent to you from your buddy Bruce. I received the same mailing yesterday.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think it was NBC's Dateline a while back that ran a story on a woman who had lost about $60,000 responding to one of the Nigerian scams where the guy inherited $12 Million and needed someone to help him receive it in the U.S. and they would receive a large share for helping, all they had to do was put up some 'good faith money' of their own to show she could be trusted not to run off with the whole amount. The woman victim in this case was not greedy, just incredibly naiive and trusting.

The gist of the story was these creeps are running the scam from Nigerian internet cafes and so were out of reach of US or British authorities. The Dateline people and the woman went toi England to meet the scammers but something happened and they didn't show. She, with the help of the Dateline people, kept in contact with them and they actually had the balls to come to Florida to continue the scam. After a couple of meetings someone was actually arrested but in these cases it's only a middleman or just one of thousands of those theives.

·
Registered
607 Posts
lesn said:
A classic scam. I hope you didn,t cash the check.

All, please forgive my ignorance and trust of most people, but what is the scam?

If I cash a check for significantly more than I was asking, I make a huge profit. The cashing of the check has to undergo a bank's scrutiny which takes upwards of a week sometimes.

If it doesn't clear, then nobody gets any money or product.

If it clears, then I make tons of extra money and find a way to ship cheaply. Even if their designated agent pick up the item, I already have the money. If I have to pay the shipper with the extra money, then I still keep my asking price.

Am I reading the thread incorrectly? Maybe I am too trusting.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
GlennM86 said:
All, please forgive my ignorance and trust of most people, but what is the scam?

If I cash a check for significantly more than I was asking, I make a huge profit. The cashing of the check has to undergo a bank's scrutiny which takes upwards of a week sometimes.

If it doesn't clear, then nobody gets any money or product.

If it clears, then I make tons of extra money and find a way to ship cheaply. Even if their designated agent pick up the item, I already have the money. If I have to pay the shipper with the extra money, then I still keep my asking price.

Am I reading the thread incorrectly? Maybe I am too trusting.
If you cash that check the back will come back to you for attempting to cash a bad check and fine you with bad check fees at the least. If you withdraw any of it you would be responsible to put it back. Reality is bank assumes no risk, you do.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
In addition to what Michael said, they are using stolen checks and money orders, sometimes they clear the local bank only to bounce later as they go through the process on their way to their home bank. They may clear their home bank only to be discovered as stolen when they hit the account statement of the business they were stolen from. If it is discovered that YOU have cashed a stolen product, you can be held responsible.

BTW,

I took the whole thing to the local Post Office yesterday and they are forwarding it to the postal inspectors office. The lady said there have been lots of complaints and thanked me for reporting it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts