BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took a ride with some friends yesterday from Reno up to Downieville, CA then back to Reno via Portola. Beautiful ride and a great day for it. I've attached a couple pictures.

I just checked the gas mileage after filling up this morning. 53.34 mpg. Didn't think I was really trying hard to conserve. Man this bike is great.

Only dark spot on the day was being delayed while the Careflight copter landed to evac some guy who blew a corner on Hwy 49. We had noticed on the way in that there was still a lot of sand on the road. From what we heard a group was racing through the hills and one of them lost it on the sand. Sad. Be careful in the hills, roads are dry, but still dirty.

Other than that it was a terrific day. Saw someone from Sac on a 2005 LT stopped where we were. Anyone from here?

Attachments

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
Retread said:
Took a ride with some friends yesterday from Reno up to Downieville, I just checked the gas mileage after filling up this morning. 53.34 mpg.
Are you sure that wasn't a dream? Surely you forgot to start the engine or something? :think: Coast down the hills?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The numbers check out. I was careful to get it completely full this morning too. I was riding one up with no luggage, but still way better than I expected.

Gary

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Nice pics, Gary.

Now please come over here and show me how to get that kind of mileage on an LT. :eek: Was that mileage from the computer, or calculated (miles / gallons = mpg)?

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Altitude on the ride? Speeds? Higher altitude and slower speeds = better mileage. I once averaged 60 mpg when I spent a week over 7,000 ft. in Colorado.

- Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know our gallon is a bit bigger than yours, and I use Super Unleaded 98 RON fuel, but 53mpg (measured on fill up) was a regular thing on my 2000 model. I expect the 2002 to be the same whan I take posession on 4th May.

I do a mixture of riding, quite a bit of motorway and main road when I use the bike for business, and I try to stay under 80 mph. As a comparison my R1200ST gets about 58mpg, so the 'Light Truck' is a pretty amazing vehicle really.

Can't wait to pick it up in a couple of weeks time. That's pick it up, rather than pick it up if you know what I mean :)

David

·
Registered
225 Posts
Taking mine on a trip Thursday. My mileage has varied from 41 low side to 53 on the high side with my average commuting 70% highway at 80+ and 20% city is 46mpg on about 5 tanks so far. I did hear the older LT's get a lil better mpg. Mine is mileage/gallon=mpg. I do not have a computer :(

What is the best combination for awesome mpg? 55mph with cruise set?
Hip

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bob_menton said:
Altitude on the ride? Speeds? Higher altitude and slower speeds = better mileage. I once averaged 60 mpg when I spent a week over 7,000 ft. in Colorado.

- Bob
Altitude ranged from around 2700 ft to 5500 ft. Speeds between 45 and 65. Probably averaged 55 or a little under. Very relaxed day.

I filled up on the way out of town and again the first thing the next morning. MPG was measured in miles from the odometer vs actual gallons when I filled up.

Even aside from the mileage it was a really great day. Temp was around 80 degree, very little wind and some good friends to share it with. This has got to be one of the best ways to spend a day on the face of the Earth. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds Awesome!! Does anyone know what the break-in mileage is before getting optimal mileage? I have about 2100 miles and I'm getting about 43MPG...DFW area (500ft above sea level), mostly highway commute.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just ride daily to and from work on my 2005 LT sans topcase (Ft. Worth is great) but get 52-53 in town in regular and have since new. About 46 miles round trip in traffic. I use a tool called the MCuff to get a full tank and it works well once you get the hang of it. Read threads on the over-filling your tank problems. Some folks report backflow into the charcoal cannister?
www.mccuff.com/store/index.php?p=page&page_id=about_us - 20k Tom H. CDRPRN.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Retread said:
Took a ride with some friends yesterday from Reno up to Downieville, CA then back to Reno via Portola. Beautiful ride and a great day for it. I've attached a couple pictures.

I just checked the gas mileage after filling up this morning. 53.34 mpg. Didn't think I was really trying hard to conserve. Man this bike is great.

Only dark spot on the day was being delayed while the Careflight copter landed to evac some guy who blew a corner on Hwy 49. We had noticed on the way in that there was still a lot of sand on the road. From what we heard a group was racing through the hills and one of them lost it on the sand. Sad. Be careful in the hills, roads are dry, but still dirty.

Other than that it was a terrific day. Saw someone from Sac on a 2005 LT stopped where we were. Anyone from here?
I was able to get 54 mpg average on my 2000 Lt Icon back when I had it going through alot of the same roads. I went from Sacramento through downeyville and went around lake almanore, up to mt Lassen. From there over to Chico and down 99 to Sacramento. I went over 300 miles on a tank. It was absolutely great but I was clinding my cheeks trying to find gas that day. There must be something about those roads that just make an LT perform better! :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cali_beemer said:
I was able to get 54 mpg average on my 2000 Lt Icon back when I had it going through alot of the same roads. I went from Sacramento through downeyville and went around lake almanore, up to mt Lassen. From there over to Chico and down 99 to Sacramento. I went over 300 miles on a tank. It was absolutely great but I was clinding my cheeks trying to find gas that day. There must be something about those roads that just make an LT perform better! :)
Maybe the LT just runs better when it's happy. Those roads make me happy so why not the bike. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sounds normal to me. I calculate the mileage on my '06 at every fillup and it is almost always over 50MPG. I don't consider myself a particularly conservative rider, as attested by the wear on my rear tire, so I'm thinking this is normal for this bike. I'm almost always two up and we go out of our way to find the twistiest roads we can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts