BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the chance to demo a new 1600GTL at Las vegas BMW, wow. This past weekend there was an open house at the dealer with guys lined up to get on that new "6" and go for the demo ride. The LT guys almost to a man can't wait to get the new bike. I heard talk from several of the RT people who said they would trade to step up.
This "6" is one sweet ride, make no mistake; smooth, fast, nimble, and chock full of technology. It feels about as heavy as my H-D RK, seat of the pants scale, but can go around corners like it was on rails---and for the short 50 mile jaunt I had with it the seat to bars to foot peg ratio seemed perfect.
After being duly impressed, I thought about it--logically, which for me and motorcycles is unusual! I would not give up my RT. Getting too old to wrestle a heavy bike at slow speeds, and too much (for me) distraction from all the electronics in front of me. I guess in time I'd get used to all of it, but the RT is still my ride of choice--why switch after 30 years of success--besides, it's paid for!
Don't speculate, but if you have had a ride on the new "6" tell us if you would switch.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Doesn't matter whether I ride it or not. Beaucoup money. The budget says, the RT is it, at least for now. On the other hand, whatever I would get next, has to require less maintenance than the RT. Not that it is a lot, but adjusting valves in this day and age and synching the throttles, well, it long in the tooth. All we really should have to do is to change fluids, new tires and brakes with the occasional spark plugs. I'd also like to see the need for a dealer to reset the service indicator go away. <rant/>

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didn't get a chance to ride the GT yet but sat on one at my dealer in Washington State (South Sound BMW) and the ergonomics are very similar to the RT. It looks fantastic and may be slightly more narrow? The only issue I might have is trying to muscle it around getting in and out of my garage or parking spots. I do love my 2011 Rt though and I am not getting any younger (54) so not sure I would want to switch at this point but I was drooling just looking at it and thinking of all that power!

Dave

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dderrig said:
I didn't get a chance to ride the GT yet but sat on one at my dealer in Washington State (South Sound BMW) and the ergonomics are very similar to the RT. It looks fantastic and may be slightly more narrow? The only issue I might have is trying to muscle it around getting in and out of my garage or parking spots. I do love my 2011 Rt though and I am not getting any younger (54) so not sure I would want to switch at this point but I was drooling just looking at it and thinking of all that power!

Dave
Dave, it is more narrow. Power? It is intoxicating--from any where in any gear. 3rd will get you past the legal limit in several states--times 2!! But we don't ride that way--do we? The bars are further back than a stocker RT, foot pegs are a bit further forward--dealer says--and it felt that way while I rode it. Very comfortable. I can only imagine what the GT must feel like. I am told lighter and even more nimble and quick. BTW--age 54? You're still a young man! Be safe out there.
Dave

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ponch said:
Doesn't matter whether I ride it or not. Beaucoup money. The budget says, the RT is it, at least for now. On the other hand, whatever I would get next, has to require less maintenance than the RT. Not that it is a lot, but adjusting valves in this day and age and synching the throttles, well, it long in the tooth. All we really should have to do is to change fluids, new tires and brakes with the occasional spark plugs. I'd also like to see the need for a dealer to reset the service indicator go away. <rant/>
+1

I rode the GT a couple weekends ago at the SE Michigan Open House = AWESOME Bike & a Great Dealership!

Do I want the Power & Technology = Yes

700+ pounds = Not for me

08RT

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've had my RT for about 8 months, have no desire to switch. I looked at the GTL, nice bike but I like the RT more.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
No, I will not. I love the boxer.

The "water boxer" RT is coming out for the 2013 model year. THAT might catch my fancy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
NO. I passed on the chance to demo ride one in Scottsdale at the Go AZ open house. Since then, I have seen one on the road, and one in a parking lot trying very hard to navigate. It is more power, more torque, more WEIGHT! and much, much More MONEY.

Even the thought of a water cooled boxer does not really thrill me. Sure, it will have more hp and torque, but it will need the extra to push the extra weight added by the radiator, water pump, internals, etc. More than likely, it will actually net zero over the hexheads.

Just my 2 cents. THIS is the bike I have wanted since the 70's....the air cooled boxer twin sport touring type bike.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ponch said:
A book: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Check it out, then maybe you will want to get in touch with your ride.

·
Registered
729 Posts
NO

Read the reviews, went and looked at it, does nothing for me. Don't need to ride it, it won't help.

For me the RT is the perfect bike.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
heavynikonf3 said:
A book: Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance. Check it out, then maybe you will want to get in touch with your ride.

I've read it twice. I know how to work on bikes and cars. I've rebuilt engines, transmissions and differentials (I've even did an upper end job on a small block chevy in Fargo in February, outside as we were stuck). I just don't care to do it if I don't have to, certainly not on an everyday vehicle. Technology has gotten to the point where what I ask for is very possible. For a BMW, you'd think it'd be de rigueur.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Depends entirely on what you want in a bike.

Personally, I wanted something with the smoothness of a K and the lightness of an RT -- what I really wanted was something 1/2 way between the RT and the LT, and for me that is exactly what a GTL is. Happy puppy here, having moved from several LTs to an RT to a GTL.

But that's all totally irrelevant to what someone else wants from a bike:

Light weight? RT.

Heavy touring with a reasonable cost? Some good bargains on LTs out there.

Something in between with massive power and a stunning array of electronic aids, for a surprisingly small increase over the LT (and still less than a comparably-equipped GoldWing)? GT/GTL.

·
Registered
155 Posts
JMOPO... No.
I gave up 400 lbs from the last 2 LT's and good riddance. I love my RT and not being a 'big guy' (5'8"/150) it does make a difference. I expect to have a long love affair with my RT (and the wife on the back). :)

·
Registered
726 Posts
No. I would not trade for a GTL or any other bike either. I have ridden my RT for 28500/ks now and it just get’s better and better. Went to Hell Mi on the week end and to visit in-laws’ put 550 /k on her and wanted just to keep going… :bmw:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I love the new bikes. I rode the GTL and had a couple of criticism but every one is answered by the GT seat, windscreen and pegs. There is absolutely nothing more I could ever want in a bike. Its really that good. Do I need it? Do I want to spend the money on it? Would it really change my level of enjoyment? Yikes. I'm not sure. I have a GT on order but I am #939 so it will likely be October before I have to finally decide but after riding it, I can't help but want it... like a kid wants Santa to come down the chimney.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If I still had my LT, I'd say "Yes". But coming from a lighter, fine handling, much more powerful sport-tourer (K12GT) ... no. No wonder they discontinued the K13GT.

- Bob

·
Registered
737 Posts
jeffdean said:
No, I will not. I love the boxer.

The "water boxer" RT is coming out for the 2013 model year. THAT might catch my fancy.
I'm with Jeff. Though I've ridden K's, they're not my cup of tea. I've been on boxers since 1956. They have a soul to me. I wouldn't consider giving them up. Not too sure about the water pumper boxer either.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I never buy the 1st model of a new concept maybe on the 3rd/4th generation of the1600 GTL. I'm very HAPPY with my K12 rite now. We just began to understand each other, I take care of her needs and she will never leave me stranded...

Thats my Girl..

Ride on :cool:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
steveaikens said:
I'm with Jeff. Though I've ridden K's, they're not my cup of tea. I've been on boxers since 1956. They have a soul to me. I wouldn't consider giving them up. Not too sure about the water pumper boxer either.
Steve--you have just added more "food for thought." I know this is outside of the thread which I began---maybe time to start another, but I never considered the water pumper. Why would riders have antipathy to this (mandatory) change? I wonder how many of us "worry" about the new RTH20?
Dave

1 - 20 of 34 Posts