BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum and just starting to learn about the BMW motorcycles. I have decided that I would like to purchase an R1200RT, but it may not happen right away. As I am looking around for good deals on used RTs, I came across a "buy back" bike.

It is listed as having a stalling issue, and was not repaired in "due time" to keep the original owner happy. I am told the BMW bought the bike back, repaired it and it is now for sale as a used bike. The selling dealer also told me they went through the bike at their facility and it is good to go.

Would you feel comfortable purchasing this bike, or would you be too hesitant, and keep looking? It is priced right, IMO...at a couple grand under other similar bikes and does carry the remaining factory warranty.

Thanks for your opinions.

Alaskan

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
In short yes if you can test ride it. And it needs to have some warranty. The early 2010 RT's had two stalling issues one was fixed with a software fueling change, it stalled when you came up to a stop sign and pulled in the clutch. The second stall situation was underway at 50 or 60 and the engine would just quit. This was caused by the "reluctor", a piece of steel that sweeps by a magnetic pick up and is the cam position sensor. The reluctor had the keyway cut a little off. With these corrections the bike has no issues. So what year are you talking about?

·
Registered
472 Posts
My thooughts are much the same as Beech's: take a long test ride (it's already got miles so they shouldn't object. Go 100 miles or more and if it seems right it probably is. If it carries the balance of the factory warranty it might be a good deal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
After checking it out buy it. But keep in mind that bike will always have a cloud over it.
(if the title is tatooed) If you plan on keeping it a long time thats not a problem.
Sorry for the gloom.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How lucky are you feeling? While some defects are apparent and fixable, one needs ask why if that was the case, it did not satisfy the original buyer? Could there have been gremlins that were not as easily fixable? With all the electronics on these bike, diagnosing and fixing an intermittent problem can be a challenge. If you have a decent, nearby dealer and aren't too concerned if the problem recurs (or worst case strands you/leaves you bikeless), then do it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the replies. Yes, this is a 2010 year RT, so BMW "should" know of both issues and hopefully fix them both. The big problem is I live in Alaska and the bike is in the lower 48. So, I would have to buy it sight unseen...and without being able to take a test drive first. I would probably fly down and pick up the bike, then ride it home. So I do have a big concern with it breaking down on me during this trip.

I am thinking my next move is to contact the dealer and see if I can get paperwork on exactly what was wrong, and what work was done to it. That may help me decide if this is the bike for me.

Thanks for all of your help!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I did ... My Y2K LT was a factory buy back after 8000 miles.
In that time it lost 2 clutch slave cylinders, 2 clutchs and a transmission replacement happened.

Other than a leaking rear diff seal 2 years ago, given me 7 years and near 50K miles of pure pleasure without further issue.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I would have to be priced around wholesale to make up for the fact that the title is branded. It should be a real bargain. Check the history, typically repairs were made under the supervision of a factory rep.

My daughter and son in law own a high-end used car operation. Many of the cars they sell are buy-backs. Their customers love the bargains.

www.garnettmotorcars.com

·
Registered
89 Posts
An additional question for the dealer- does roadside assistance cover the Alcan highway? Seriously, i would have concern running any new bike that far and remotely much less a buy back. The fact it may have been checked by a factory rep doesnt provide much comfort based on personal experience.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
You say the bike is down south. Are you talking Ridewest or Southsound, Washington State? At ridewest the service manager is Mark, at Southsound it is Alex. Alex fixed both stalling problems in my 2010. They were such easy fixes I think you will be safe. Both are interested people. If this is the case, call one of them and talk about the bike and your worries. I like to think positive on this stuff and wish you well. And buying it, call with your credit card to hold it. Tell them with the history you deserve a test ride before final payment. If there is nothing to hide I can't see why they would not go for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I contacted the dealer and he sent me more info on this machine. They list it as a "buy back" purchase, when in fact the paperwork states it was purchased back under the "lemon law". That sounds way worse to me than the buy back program. I was also unaware that the title will forever state that it was returned to BMW under the lemon law.

To me this is a tarnish machine that will forever have that label...no matter if the issues were fixed correctly or not. If one were planning on keeping it forever, I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a deal (if you got it really cheap). But, to have the title labeled as such, you would have a very hard time selling it, if that day came.

I decided this was a can of worms that I did not want to deal with, so I kindly passed on the deal. Thanks for everyones input!!

Alaskan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Alaskan said:
I decided this was a can of worms that I did not want to deal with, so I kindly passed on the deal. Thanks for everyones input!!

Alaskan
You have to be comfortable with the purchase so it wasn't the right one for you. Personally I'd get one if it had clear title and the right warranty. But not if it was identifyable as a previous lemon.. Too hard on resale

·
Registered
254 Posts
Alaskan said:
Well, I contacted the dealer and he sent me more info on this machine. They list it as a "buy back" purchase, when in fact the paperwork states it was purchased back under the "lemon law". That sounds way worse to me than the buy back program. I was also unaware that the title will forever state that it was returned to BMW under the lemon law.

To me this is a tarnish machine that will forever have that label...no matter if the issues were fixed correctly or not. If one were planning on keeping it forever, I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a deal (if you got it really cheap). But, to have the title labeled as such, you would have a very hard time selling it, if that day came.

Alaskan

I think you are making the right decision, keep looking. I found my 07 RT in North Carolina and met the seller, with the bike, just outside of Richmond VA. We had finalized the deal by phone and e-mail and I flew down and rode it home. Good luck.

MF

·
Registered
219 Posts
if by "down south" you mean San Diego, I saw the exact bike at the dealer two days ago. about 3000+ miles and in perfect cosmetic shape. has an attached form on it explaining the entire story and assurance from BMWNA that it is now ok. selling in the $17.5k range with everything, including radio. if this isn't the bike, we now know there are two of them for sale.......

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would think a used bike with no issues at all and 3K miles might not even sell for $17,500. With a branded title and the possibility that it still has problems, $13,000 might be more realistic.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
loboheritage, yes it is the bike in San Diego. Looks perfect in all the pictures! As they explained it to me, I understand the issues were know issues and repaired. I really didn't have much of a problem with that, after reading these were know issues with some of the 2010 bikes. But, having the title labeled as a lemon buy back is the part I did not like. No matter how small the issues seem, you would not be able to convince the next owner, as all they would see would be the words "lemon law buy back" on the title. I just think it would be too hard to overcome. As GRB60 stated, if it were selling for $13, that would be easier to swallow.

On a brighter note, I did stop in my local dealer and sit on a new 2011 RT today on my way to work!! I wish it were in my budget to buy that new one!! Wonder if I could convince my wife to trade in her X5 for it!! :D

Alaskan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts