BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. IF there were to be a diesel powerd LT type bike out there that had decent BHP and loads of torque (as diesels do) and also did 100+mpg, would you buy one?
Diesels can be very quiet now, some just as quiet as a a petrol engine. On a bike like the LT, built for touring, it would be amazingly economical. Probably not so good for the sports bike riders though!

Simon

·
Registered
624 Posts
Put a turbo on it and it wouldn't have a problem keeping up with the sport bikes.

I'd ride one without a problem.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
+2
Back in the day had 2 early non turbo rabbit diesels. Got 48+ and the harder I ran the engines the better they ran. Used to run up the high passes flat out in 3rd gear to blow the carbon out. Afterwards the mileage and performance would go up noticeable. Would start without block heater in just about any weather and if I kept a clean fuel filter in, wouldn't gel up either in -20 weather. Just about bullet proof and so very easy to work on. Only problem was ruptured a higher pressure fuel line to an injector and had to limp home on 3 cylinders from about 80 miles out. You think the early VW diesels vibrated? Try one on 3 cylinders some time. A low pressure, high air flow TDI diesel LT would be the bees knees.

Clatterin' Karl

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
kill two birds with one stone.

I have always wanted a turkey or hot oil cooker but what do you do with the oil after you use it, or how many times can you use the oil...

now there would be a way to dispose of the oil.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
I would consider it, but price would be a determining factor. Typically, diesels are more expensive to purchase and maintain, which is worth it if you need the towing torque. If not, I would have to run the numbers to see what the payout would be.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
ooo...yeah. Add a Bully Dog chip and one of those big, fat exhaust stacks to make it sound like a Mac truck..............oohhhh, yeah, baby!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fat stacks. Yeah... that's the ticket.... and a fifth wheel hitch in place of the top box, too.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
simon said:
Just curious. IF there were to be a diesel powerd LT type bike out there that had decent BHP and loads of torque (as diesels do) and also did 100+mpg, would you buy one?
Diesels can be very quiet now, some just as quiet as a a petrol engine. On a bike like the LT, built for touring, it would be amazingly economical. Probably not so good for the sports bike riders though!

Simon
Diesels seldom can achieve efficiencies more than 25% above that for a similar performance gas engine. So, a 100 MPG LT would be a pig as to get twice the mileage of a gas LT would require accepting much less performance.

I certainly would be interested in an LT diesel if it was done well and performed similar to my 2007. However, I suspect the extra weight would not be a good think just to get 10-15 more MPG.

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Interesting concept. It would still depend on a test ride. If it doesn't feel right, then I don't care how much torque it has or what kind of mpg it gets.

Just put a stroked 1400cc slant/4 motor in the new LT and lose at least 100 lbs and all will be fine. Oh, and a double-sided swing arm, please. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Someone needs to research a method of installing a GWing final drive in place of our LT ones.

·
Registered
153 Posts
simon said:
Just curious. IF there were to be a diesel powerd LT type bike out there...

What, isn't the current LT already a diesel? They sure sound like one. :p

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
If a diesel LT ran like my VW Passat TDI, yes - I would!

Of course, you'd have to reconcile paying a lot more for every gallon of fuel. If the fuel efficiency more than offset the higher cost of diesel, a diesel LT could be a winner. And just think - we could have diesel debates on this site! :rolleyes:

Kawasaki has a diesel version of the KLR, first available to the military and now available (?) to the public - but at a major price premium.

<edit>If you're interested: http://www.m1030.com/

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
tbarstow said:
Why would you want to mess around with a double sided swing arm?
grifscoots said:
I reckon some of the folks are kind of burned out on rear end failures.
Bingo. I do like how simple it is to change a rear tire, but I'd much rather take an extra 20 minutes when changing tires than sit on the side of the road for several hours waiting on a tow truck.

Besides, you could retain the shaft drive, then there wouldn't be any alignment issues. You can even keep the Paralever geometry, as that works very well. Just give me equal weight distribution over two equally sized bearings and all these problems would simply disappear.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Waitin for an electric two wheeler with storage like the Burgman to ride around town.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I'd buy a diesel powered LT if it had a walk-in sleeper with TV and microwave and air brakes and a hydraulic grade retarder............ :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts