BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the threads thought I would check the pins on the top of the box to allow the top-box (trunk) to be locked. The left pin has about 1mm of pin left and the right has about half left.

Fay took the pin to the dealer to get 2 replacement ones to put in but they can't find a part number for it. Went to specialty fasteners but can't find a suitable replacement for it. Two questions - 1. Does anyone know if there are replacement pins and 2. If not, is there anwhere in the US to get suitable replacements.

If it is not possible to get pins I will be getting up BMW HO like a rat up a drain. Why on earth would they not have a replacement part for an item that wears out like this.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Colin - I lifted these numbers from the Accessories forum on the old site. Hope it helps.

These pins from the K11LT EXACTLY fit the rear trunk lid of the K12LT. The K12LT parts list does not separately call out these latch pins. 46-54-2-316-317 Pin ($1.65 ea.)
07-11-9-932-815 E-clip ($0.10 ea.)

Best

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pins

Dick is right on track; I ordered the pins for my 2002 and they fit perfectly.
Our local Bmw Rep was surprised they would work.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Will get onto the dealer for the parts. Better than going to the dealers for info.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Colin1952 said:
Thanks guys. Will get onto the dealer for the parts. Better than going to the dealers for info.
All depends on your dealer. The Parts Guy at my dealer, after about 5 minutes searching his BMW parts database, came up with the part numbers for those pins for the K11LT (that exactly fit our K12LT). I posted those part numbers a few years ago on this site.

- Bob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are right in your assessment. We used to have a top dealer in Queanbeyan, a BMW master mechanic. He also sold other brands of bikes and, to cut a long story short, they took the dealership off him and gave it to the local BMW car dealer.

Service has gone downhill and bikes are the poor cousin to the car dealership. They now have a really nice looking showroom, but people avoid it like the plague. In some areas, BMW really doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Trunk mod that works

The mod I did took all of an hour to do -- so easy it was a no brainer:

1) I took out the bottom case liner.
2) The latches and the bar they are attached to are held in with 4 small 'C' clamps on the end of 4 pins. I removed them and put the individual latches in a vice.
3) I used a small grinding wheel with a chordless drill and ground the surface down that goes over the top of the latch pins on the top box.
4) It took a couple of trial and error times to grind the appropriate amount off.
5) I used a grinding wheel so that a uniform surface was left versus using a dremel stone.
6) Once I got the appropriate a mount ground off, I used a dremel stone to smooth out the curvature of the "C" in the latch.
7) I reassemled, put a dab of silicone grease on the contact surfaces and lubed the pivot points that were accessable.

The latch now closes with a "very" light touch and is still waterproff as I got caught in rain Sunday coming back from the Lake Of The Ozarks - 3 hour ride.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They are talking about the roll pins in the top half
of the trunk that engage the levers actuated by the latch.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Colin1952 said:
You are right in your assessment. We used to have a top dealer in Queanbeyan, a BMW master mechanic. He also sold other brands of bikes and, to cut a long story short, they took the dealership off him and gave it to the local BMW car dealer.

Service has gone downhill and bikes are the poor cousin to the car dealership. They now have a really nice looking showroom, but people avoid it like the plague. In some areas, BMW really doesn't have a clue.
Very true, Colin. Can't tell you how happy I am that I live only 7 miles from one of the many very good dealers (Touring Sport BMW, Greenville, SC). And frankly, even tho I try to do most of my own routine service on the LT, if my nearest dealer was one of the lousy ones, I'm sure I'd be riding a different brand of bike. I wonder if BMW has figured this out? Namely, that sales of bikes per population density are probably lower in the vicinity of their poor dealers than near their good dealers. Probably not.

- Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts