BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a 2006 K1200LT, just wondering if anyone would like to offer their ideas of the cost to fix this. Only having the information on the site, assuming the engine would fire. Looks like a lot of body panels would have to be replaced. Assuming that I could buy it for $1000 plus the $500 for shipping. Could I replace the needed parts for another 2 grand?

http://www.crashedtoys.com/index.php?fuseaction=car.view&carid=2999530

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Google this company. Seems like there was a similar co. that was a rip off.

Loren

sbritt said:
Here is a 2006 K1200LT, just wondering if anyone would like to offer their ideas of the cost to fix this. Only having the information on the site, assuming the engine would fire. Looks like a lot of body panels would have to be replaced. Assuming that I could buy it for $1000 plus the $500 for shipping. Could I replace the needed parts for another 2 grand?

http://www.crashedtoys.com/index.php?fuseaction=car.view&carid=2999530

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
That LT must have been through a high-side, low-side to have damage on both sides. The famous frame tabs are probably broken. That totals the LT. If you wanted it for parts, go for it. I'd never try to rebuild one after that kind of crunch. YMMV. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
You will not be able to replace the parts for $2,000 from BMW more like $5,000 to $6,000 at minimum. Now if you visit eBay, Bemmer Boenyard and other parts resellers and start a collection the various parts and then send them off to a painter once your collection is complete.

The other issue is what is under the damaged tupperware - there can be frame issues that get things out of alignment that may prove difficult to impossible to not feasible to repair.

If you get the bike for $1,500 and there is damage beyond repair from what I see you might be able to part the bike out the bike at your invested cost - however there are over 1,600 parts from LT's on eBay these days and they are not moving all that fast - lots of competition!!

Lastly you will need to be good with your hands and love putting & tearing bikes apart and putting them back together . . .

Good luck whatever you decide and many of the members here would be anxious to help out if you are lucky enought to win the bike!!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
I am with Dan and Lee on this one. My money is on frame tabs broken and that makes it a no brainer unless you have an extra 6K lying around to build up the structure. Then start on the cosmetics. Good deal if some one is looking for an engine and tranny for a solid but aged bike.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Are the tabs part of the cast aluminum casting that makes up the backbone of the bike? I've seen them for sale for a few hundred $ on ebay. Can the backbone not be replaced?

Just askin'.

Loren

jzeiler said:
I am with Dan and Lee on this one. My money is on frame tabs broken and that makes it a no brainer unless you have an extra 6K lying around to build up the structure. Then start on the cosmetics. Good deal if some one is looking for an engine and tranny for a solid but aged bike.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am not that experienced with the LT (yet) but it looks like you have received very good input above. From my RT experience, I can say the 2 grand won't even come close.

I wonder how much blood stains would have to be cleaned off? Sounds like a hell of a crash. :(

In any case, some food for thought on tupperware repare, check these videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpTI3CKZ5M&feature=related

I found them very interesting.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,939 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Are the tabs part of the cast aluminum casting that makes up the backbone of the bike? I've seen them for sale for a few hundred $ on ebay. Can the backbone not be replaced?

Just askin'.

Loren

Sure they can be but why they are on e-bay is usually because they are from a salvaged bike with broken frame tabs. That is the #1 reason to total the bike. But I guess you could get lucky. There was one guy a few years ago than just welded the bits back on and rode the thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the great and fast feedback. I will let you know if I can get the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This bike will sell in $4500-$5000 range + other fees and transport. I try this place couple of times and in last hour of bidding price just explode, it is not worth unless you are going to part the bike.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
From the pics, (and personal experience) I assume the frame tabs are broken, which is a total on this bike (not weldable). It appears the right side tip-over bar has been driven back into the frame/engine. Does not appear to be many (any) salvageable parts on the right side. Front-on shot seems to show twisting, also.

I'd pass. without looking further. JMNSHO.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
What everybody else has already told you is all true,
but there's another issue, namely the salvage title,

you will never be able to ride that bike in Florida,
they passed some legislation years ago to prevent salvaged vehicles from being registered in Florida
after a lot of unscrupulous used car salesman
were selling cars that had been hurricane flood damaged.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Parts bike for under 2000 might make wage...................$00.02............but with out a title, well, your driftin' in the wind...........?............

·
Registered
607 Posts
sbritt said:
Thanks everyone for the great and fast feedback. I will let you know if I can get the bike.

If you get it and part it, I might be interested in the factory radio and CB, assuming the CB still works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts