BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all-

I might have found my LT :) 2008 K1200LT with 16.5K miles. The bike has sat for about 2 or 3 yrs with minimal use on a trickle charger. The bike is in CA and Im in OH. My concerns are the fuel lines and brake fluid and lines. I will replace tires if to old so Im not concerned there.

I was wondering if anyone else has anything else I should be concerned about since sitting??

Since its a large distance... this is my plan. They already said they are willing to take to a BMW motorcycle dealer for me for an inspection. Then I will work on shipping the bike from there if all goes well.

Ideas for shipping?? I sent quote request to Uship.
Ideas for payments?? to keep both of us safe.
Anyone who bought a bike from a private person and how they handled it??

Ill be honest there is always the concern in the back of my head that it could be a scam.

My wife and I just recently discussed to fly out to meet shipper and take care of paperwork... My Aunt and Uncle live nearby. But this will only happen if things are all thumbs up.

Let me know if more info is needed, and thank you for all your help.

Mike

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Only real concern to me would be the ABS Brake system. When was it flushed last? All the other stuff is just possible formalities. Don't know anything about shipping options. Payment. Well something like a bank check. Something to give you some insurance.That's all I have. Hope it helps. Where are you in ohio?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I was very lucky in buying mine from the previous owner. He handed me a $20 and said there is a gas station about 3 miles down the road. Go and get some gas so I got the test ride with no deposit. Had never been on an LT before and I didn't even drop it :) The fact that I helped him wash it off and put a new battery in it might have had something to do with it.

You have the major issues already with the fuel and brake lines but if you are shipping and not riding, those can be inspected and replaced as required after you get it home. Give the final drive a shake to check out the bearings and also the swing arm.

Make sure the BMW dealer does run the VIN and takes care of any un-handled recalls while they have it.

Any service history is a plus. Sounds like you might have found yourself a low mileage pit wooffie if it all checks out.

Good luck.

Reactions: Moogmike

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have a friend (he's the one that sold me the '07LT) who just had a BMW S1000XR shipped from New York to California. He used Haulbikes.com. Cost him $450, plus $50 more for no-deductible insurance. He says it was far and away the cheapest and the bike arrived in perfect condition. They have a caveat though, they have a strict 58 inch height limit, so he had the windscreen shipped separately. I don't know the height of the LT, but my GTLE is about 60 inches with the windshield at the lowest setting. Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Only real concern to me would be the ABS Brake system. When was it flushed last? All the other stuff is just possible formalities. Don't know anything about shipping options. Payment. Well something like a bank check. Something to give you some insurance.That's all I have. Hope it helps. Where are you in ohio?
Thank you James216.... I'm in Perrysburg ohio :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey.... thank you everyone. Another question.... Ok, if the brake fluid has not been flushed... if I get it flushed really good.. would I be good? Or is there other issues with the ABS? I'm ok on cars, but not sure of this ABS system on it.

I got to talk with the guy who is helping her sell it. When they bought it in 2011 it had almost 12K miles on it.... and he knows an oil change has been done when they got it ridden down from northern CA to S. CA. He is helping her sell it because her husband passed away. He used to own bikes so he keeps it on the trickle charger.

When I talked with him today, I got to hear it start right up. I'm gonna see what I can find on its service. I found the city the were from.

I'll keep yall posted and updated :) can I say I feel like a kid in a candy shop!?!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The first thing I would do is replace the original brake lines with Spiegler stainless steel lines before doing the brake system flush. If the ABS system is good, replacement of the old lines (if they undoubtably haven't been replaced yet based on your description) would be a good insurance policy. In addition, while the tupperware is off, I'd also check to see if it still has the original quick disconnects on the fuel tank (replacing them with metal versions from Beemerboneyard or Jiffy Tite) and also replace the air & fuel filters and the tank's internal fuel lines. Then, I'd be much more confident about taking longer distance rides on it. Just out of curiosity, is it in the greater Los Angeles area? :bmw:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I'm sure you checked KBB for value, $8,400 retail, 6k trade in. I would suggest since you have to travel or have it shipped and no real knowledge a careful price. No one on either side wants to be screwed. Sounds like a deal considering you like LT's. The 2008 model thankfully does not have the servo brake system I believe, this is a good thing. Life is short. When you bring the bike home, do all the needed up grades to the brake hoses and fluids. Check brake pads etc, It was mentioned that it might be taken to a dealer for a look over, ask for a suggested maintenance list and any outstanding bmw recalls. Hope this works out for you, you sound excited. Wish it was May, you could ride it home. :wink: New bikes are such a treat.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I'm sure you checked KBB for value, $8,400 retail, 6k trade in. I would suggest since you have to travel or have it shipped and no real knowledge a careful price. No one on either side wants to be screwed. Sounds like a deal considering you like LT's. The 2008 model thankfully does not have the servo brake system I believe, this is a good thing. Life is short. When you bring the bike home, do all the needed up grades to the brake hoses and fluids. Check brake pads etc, It was mentioned that it might be taken to a dealer for a look over, ask for a suggested maintenance list and any outstanding bmw recalls. Hope this works out for you, you sound excited. Wish it was May, you could ride it home. :wink: New bikes are such a treat.
All LT's 02 and newer have the servo I-ABS. When other bike lines were updated, the LT was already end of line so then never changed it.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Hello all-

I might have found my LT :) 2008 K1200LT with 16.5K miles. The bike has sat for about 2 or 3 yrs with minimal use on a trickle charger. The bike is in CA and Im in OH. My concerns are the fuel lines and brake fluid and lines. I will replace tires if to old so Im not concerned there.

I was wondering if anyone else has anything else I should be concerned about since sitting??

Since its a large distance... this is my plan. They already said they are willing to take to a BMW motorcycle dealer for me for an inspection. Then I will work on shipping the bike from there if all goes well.

Ideas for shipping?? I sent quote request to Uship.
Ideas for payments?? to keep both of us safe.
Anyone who bought a bike from a private person and how they handled it??

Ill be honest there is always the concern in the back of my head that it could be a scam.

My wife and I just recently discussed to fly out to meet shipper and take care of paperwork... My Aunt and Uncle live nearby. But this will only happen if things are all thumbs up.

Let me know if more info is needed, and thank you for all your help.

Mike
Mike, if it can help putting your mind at ease I can go look at the bike for you, make sure it is NOT a scam, and give it a once over. I have owned 3 LTs of different mileage and I am pretty comfortable I can identify major issues.
Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
"All LT's 02 and newer have the servo I-ABS. When other bike lines were updated, the LT was already end of line so then never changed it. "
I thought I remembered something like that, thank you for the information. That makes the bike worth about 5k$ in my mind. If that. :surprise:
Make sure there is no ABS light on after start up and riding a few feet.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Mike, if it can help putting your mind at ease I can go look at the bike for you, make sure it is NOT a scam, and give it a once over. I have owned 3 LTs of different mileage and I am pretty comfortable I can identify major issues.
Send me a PM and we can work out the details.
Hey Gilles,

I was originally going to offer to take a look at it too, but figured if the local dealer was going to go through it... If Mike accepts your offer and you need some company for a second opinion, let me know. :wave

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Hey Gilles,

I was originally going to offer to take a look at it too, but figured if the local dealer was going to go through it... If Mike accepts your offer and you need some company for a second opinion, let me know. :wave
You bet Dave!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The first thing I would do is replace the original brake lines with Spiegler stainless steel lines before doing the brake system flush. If the ABS system is good, replacement of the old lines (if they undoubtably haven't been replaced yet based on your description) would be a good insurance policy. In addition, while the tupperware is off, I'd also check to see if it still has the original quick disconnects on the fuel tank (replacing them with metal versions from Beemerboneyard or Jiffy Tite) and also replace the air & fuel filters and the tank's internal fuel lines. Then, I'd be much more confident about taking longer distance rides on it. Just out of curiosity, is it in the greater Los Angeles area? :bmw:
JNW003.... The bike is in San Marcos... the owner have a bit of a sad story. Her husband past-a-way. A friend is helping her sell it. I didn't ask specifics.

Do want to say thank you for the input... I will definitely look into the mods

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everyone thank you for the input... So far since I got to talk to the guy (good friend of the owners, now wife only) and he started it up for me and I got to hear it, it did put me at ease a bit. Also since I did a VIN check... not stolen, not wrecked. At least reported. And since he is good about taking it to the dealer for me, sounds like this coming Friday/Saturday. I believe things are going good.

As for the price when I found this one, I was shocked. About a month ago I found one near by me. Went up to look at it... a 2008 with 75K and they are asking 8k... I was going to pay cash... and they would only come down to 7800. These things it seems like if you want one you gotta pay for it.

Right now, Im hoping they accept my offer, if so with purchase, shipping and inspection (and I want they to check for codes too) I will be sitting under a few hundred bucks under 7k. I think Im doing great.. I guess that's what matters... with ones I have checked into prices are up there! He has sent me a goober load of pics.

To the gentlemens who live out that way and who were willing to check it out for me.... my hat off to you guys... yall are a gentlemen and a scholar. Thank you very much for the offer.

Im even was told to ask the BMW dealer to see if they would ship to a local BMW dealer for me?.. who knows... don't ask, don't know.

Again... Ill still keep yall posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sold my mountain-bike on craigslist for $3000 in the past. The way they buyer and I handled the financial transaction was like this:
- neither of us wanted to carry that much cash on us
- cashier check could be fake
- so when buyer decided to buy, we both went to his bank which issued the cashier check so I was sure it wasn't fake and buyer didn't have to carry cash.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in north county San Diego right next to San Marcos so just let me know if you need any help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Another 2 cents from me:

Instead of paying for shipping, you could use that $500 or so toward the general maintenance by the local BMW dealer (tires, 20k miles maintenance, flushing the fluids ...). So you would get a good and safe bike to ride from CA to OH ;-)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I sold my mountain-bike on craigslist for $3000 in the past. The way they buyer and I handled the financial transaction was like this:
- neither of us wanted to carry that much cash on us
- cashier check could be fake
- so when buyer decided to buy, we both went to his bank which issued the cashier check so I was sure it wasn't fake and buyer didn't have to carry cash.
I agree - do everything at the bank. Sign over title, notarize and issue cashier's check all at the same time. They give you the keys at that time and you then return to their home or business to collect the bike - it is your bike once the title/money changes hands. I would also work up a generic bill of sale for tax purposes. When you take the bike to the tax office, they will want proof of how much you paid as sales taxes (in most places) are based on actual value - you might not want them to base your taxes on some actuarial data that they have on file that could be significantly higher than what you paid.

Since you are located so far away, the local BMW dealer where the bike is located might be willing to do everything for you for a fee - not sure if the fee would be less than an airfare ticket though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the additional input... Well wanted to give update, and a pic silly me.

I found the dealer it was sold at new!! The BMW dealer is working on sending me the records, they said it was fully up to date on all services until 2014 and 149xx miles and its now at 163xx miles. Also found out the dealer where it is going into for the inspection heard of the guys name I am dealing with, said he has a few other bikes in for service.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts