BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, all you Southeasterners! I'm attending a conference in Orlando in June, and I've got a chance to get a rental bike "free" while I'm there.

Is there any decent riding within a reasonable distance - enough to make that worthwhile (sorry - my experience with driving in FL suggests that it's mostly flat and boring). :D :eek:

I prepaid for a rental bike (a Wing) for CCR last year through Eagle Riders, and then ended up not using it because I got a "loaner" LT from Phil Largen. They give you 1 year to use the rental at any Eagle Rider in the country, and since I can't attend CCR this year, I thought I might use that rental to get a Wing (it's not an LT, but better than a HD!) in Orlando, rather than let the money I paid go to waste.

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ride

I would ride east on the "Beeline" to Titusville and find "Dixie Crossroads" - best Rock Shrimp ever!! 3 dozen may be enough

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Bruce_Yates said:
Hey, all you Southeasterners! I'm attending a conference in Orlando in June, and I've got a chance to get a rental bike "free" while I'm there.

Is there any decent riding within a reasonable distance - enough to make that worthwhile (sorry - my experience with driving in FL suggests that it's mostly flat and boring). :D :eek:

I prepaid for a rental bike (a Wing) for CCR last year through Eagle Riders, and then ended up not using it because I got a "loaner" LT from Phil Largen. They give you 1 year to use the rental at any Eagle Rider in the country, and since I can't attend CCR this year, I thought I might use that rental to get a Wing (it's not an LT, but better than a HD!) in Orlando, rather than let the money I paid go to waste.

Any comments, suggestions, recommendations, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
it all depends on how much time you have to ride, IMO there isn't much around there, a few places north , cedar key to the west.

The Ormond loop and A1A north to St auggie from the loop is the only one that is worth not missing.

unless you have a couple days to go find the good stuff from Orlando.

if you do this, just w3hen in June are you going to be there, if it is when I am there, I wil be glad to do some riding have dinner or whatever if our schedules permit

you can PM me if you like
Tom

·
Registered
855 Posts
tmgs said:
it all depends on how much time you have to ride, IMO there isn't much around there, a few places north , cedar key to the west.

The Ormond loop and A1A north to St auggie from the loop is the only one that is worth not missing.

unless you have a couple days to go find the good stuff from Orlando.

if you do this, just w3hen in June are you going to be there, if it is when I am there, I wil be glad to do some riding have dinner or whatever if our schedules permit

you can PM me if you like
Tom
What do *you* know about ridin' in Florida? You live in Jawja!......8^)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Jinks said:
He's a "transplant"
might even be one of them halfbacks,
you know, they move down here then halfway back :)

To comment on Bruce's question,
there are some nice places to ride around here but you'll need "local knowledge" to find them,
I'll give you a hint they're nowhere near any of the coast.

The main issue in June would be the weather,
my bike rarely gets much use during June/July/August unless I'm outta state,
it's just too damn hot, especially in Orlando.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Florida summer,
but then I've got it made,
as a charter boat Captain I'm out on the water every day
surrounded by bikini's and listening to jimmy Buffet. :D

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys - that gives me some ideas. I'll likely only have one day to ride, so I'm thinking the Ocala Nat'l Forest might be a good option. I'm not sure exactly where the "Ormond loop" is - is it doable in one day? And is it better than the Ocala routes?

In any event, sounds like I'll need to bring my mesh riding wear and cooling vest (although FL humidity might make that of limited value). Nothing quite like southern heat & humidity combined with motorcycle gear and helmet... ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Bruce_Yates said:
Thanks, guys - that gives me some ideas. I'll likely only have one day to ride, so I'm thinking the Ocala Nat'l Forest might be a good option. I'm not sure exactly where the "Ormond loop" is - is it doable in one day? And is it better than the Ocala routes?

In any event, sounds like I'll need to bring my mesh riding wear and cooling vest (although FL humidity might make that of limited value). Nothing quite like southern heat & humidity combined with motorcycle gear and helmet... ;)
The "Ormond Loop" is outside my front window......... Ormond Beach, on the east coast. It's a nice little ride if you're at Bike Week or Biketoberfest, but not big enough to warrant a rental & a day in it's self. It is however less than a half mile from A1A, & the ride from Daytona/Ormond to St. Augustine is one of the better rides.

Orlando to Ormond Beach via Deland, The Loop, & a putt up to St. Augustine with a stop at one of several good seafood places for lunch/dinner would be a good long day ride. If the timing worked out I'd volunteer for guide duty...That Gallo character only visits Florida......I live here!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've ridden down to that area the last two winters. I would agree that there isn't much in the Orlando area, pretty commercial and industrial, also too crowded. Take the Bee-Line to the coast and drive around A1A, Cocoa Village is very quaint with little shiops and lots of nice restaurants. South on A1A takes you through Cocoa Beach, past Patrick AFB and into Melbourn. Eat at Cafe Dos Amigos right on A1A for authentic Mexican food, all you can eat buffet for $5.95! There are lots of Jazz clubs in that area too. You can go back north on A1A and right into NASA for the tour. It's 45 miles from Orlando to Cocoa Beach...another 15 or so to Melbourne...maybe 20 from Melbourne to NASA...and 50 back to Orlando. Very doable in one day. I did this last winter and had a great time. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Jinks said:
bet I have more miles in FL than you do in the last two years, that'll teach ya to remodel!

runnin n duckin

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
He's a "transplant"
might even be one of them halfbacks,
you know, they move down here then halfway back :)
bla bla bla bla (you are actually correct though - but I was a kid when we moved to FL. - grin)
Don't get me wrong, I love the Florida summer,
but then I've got it made,
as a charter boat Captain I'm out on the water every day
surrounded by bikini's and listening to jimmy Buffet. :D

yea go ahead rub it in, I have not seen a Bikini since in FL during bike week!

Tom
See ya!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
BLBantz said:
South on A1A takes you through Cocoa Beach, past Patrick AFB and into Melbourn. Eat at Cafe Dos Amigos right on A1A for authentic Mexican food, all you can eat buffet for $5.95! There are lots of Jazz clubs in that area too. You can go back north on A1A and

hahaha, It is Cantina Dos Amigo's and that is a friend of mines place, he also own lou's blues on a1a north of there by EauGallie Casueway, he also rides a K1200LT

stop in say hello!

Tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Jinks said:
The "Ormond Loop" is outside my front window......... Ormond Beach, on the east coast. It's a nice little ride if you're at Bike Week or Biketoberfest, but not big enough to warrant a rental & a day in it's self. It is however less than a half mile from A1A, & the ride from Daytona/Ormond to St. Augustine is one of the better rides.

Orlando to Ormond Beach via Deland, The Loop, & a putt up to St. Augustine with a stop at one of several good seafood places for lunch/dinner would be a good long day ride. If the timing worked out I'd volunteer for guide duty...That Gallo character only visits Florida......I live here!
bla bla bla bla - go ahead rud it in ya Asshole tm(meant in the nicest way<g>) at least my tires ain't square anymore <grin>

what he said though about the ride is true, that is probably the best beach ride in the state left, in fact it is the only place you get so much view of the ocean right from A1A

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
A different take

If you can't/don't use the rental days in FL, maybe you could post them for sale in classifieds and recover some of your cost rather than just burn them off somewhere that you don't really care to "just because."

·
Registered
704 Posts
You're right! It is Cantina Dos Amigos! I love the food and atmosphere there. Worth the stop! I know Lou's Blues also. A friend of mine's brother used to play guitar there a couple times a week. Unfortunately he just passed away. His name was Billy Van Riper. Died too young.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts