BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you know if this is safe to ride? Look at the pictures and you'll see the left side of my tire is worn. I'm being told it is from the crown of the roads. As you can see, I'm down to the wear strips.
May be an image of motorcycle

·
Registered
410 Posts
Do any of you know if this is safe to ride? Look at the pictures and you'll see the left side of my tire is worn. I'm being told it is from the crown of the roads. As you can see, I'm down to the wear strips.

That tire is worn out, and should be replaced ASAP, period.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou for the reply and I am waiting for a tire to be shipped to my home. In the meantime, can I still ride it on limited distances?

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts

Slightly uneven wear like that is typically of crowned highways and not a big deal. I can’t tell you if that tire is safe to ride, I can only tell you what I would do. Would I ride that in a heavy rain or on very wet roads, no. Would I ride that on a dry road for a few hundred more miles while waiting for a new tire to arrive, yes, I would. However, I also fly airplanes and do other stuff that people consider risky so you have to make your own decision as to what works for you.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slightly uneven wear like that is typically of crowned highways and not a big deal. I can’t tell you if that tire is safe to ride, I can only tell you what I would do. Would I ride that in a heavy rain or on very wet roads, no. Would I ride that on a dry road for a few hundred more miles while waiting for a new tire to arrive, yes, I would. However, I also fly airplanes and do other stuff that people consider risky so you have to make your own decision as to what works for you.
Thank you for your reply and I'm parking the bike until my tire arrives.

·
Registered
2005 R1200ST, 2014 R1200RT
25 Posts
Riding motorcycles is infinitely riskier than flying airplanes IMHO.

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
Riding motorcycles is infinitely riskier than flying airplanes IMHO.
Your opinion is nonsensical and nothing short of certain death is “infinitely” riskier than something else.

There are many ways to analyze and compare the data, but no matter how you do it, motorcycle riding and flying general aviation airplanes is very similar in risk. Here is a post from the Pilots of America Forum that discusses this.

I keep seeing that GA is just as fatal as riding a motorcycle. Vote and if you have proof, post it. I didn't vote yet, but here is my proof.

Safety vs Driving

I used data from this link and his methods for comparison, but only focusing on the motorcycle data and not all vehicle transportation.

19.7 fatalities per million hours of flying
38.8 fatalities per 100M miles of riding
average GA speed 150mph or average bike speed of 45mph (closer to my average commute speed)

13.1 GA fatalities per 100M miles flown vs 38.8 motorcycle fatalities per 100M miles ridden
or
19.7 GA fatalities per million hours of flying vs 17.46 motorcycle fatalities per million hours of riding

average speed assumptions would change these numbers, but in one instance GA looks better and in the other comparison they look almost the same.”

·
Registered
2005 R1200ST, 2014 R1200RT
25 Posts
Your opinion is nonsensical and nothing short of certain death is “infinitely” riskier than something else.

There are many ways to analyze and compare the data, but no matter how you do it, motorcycle riding and flying general aviation airplanes is very similar in risk. Here is a post from the Pilots of America Forum that discusses this.

I keep seeing that GA is just as fatal as riding a motorcycle. Vote and if you have proof, post it. I didn't vote yet, but here is my proof.

Safety vs Driving

I used data from this link and his methods for comparison, but only focusing on the motorcycle data and not all vehicle transportation.

19.7 fatalities per million hours of flying
38.8 fatalities per 100M miles of riding
average GA speed 150mph or average bike speed of 45mph (closer to my average commute speed)

13.1 GA fatalities per 100M miles flown vs 38.8 motorcycle fatalities per 100M miles ridden
or
19.7 GA fatalities per million hours of flying vs 17.46 motorcycle fatalities per million hours of riding

average speed assumptions would change these numbers, but in one instance GA looks better and in the other comparison they look almost the same.”
Geesus, who would have thought it?

·
Registered
27 Posts

Can that Tyre. Real short dry tar rides might be okay but not wet.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Left side tire wear happens because all our left turns are longer than right turns In the USA, and countries that drive in the right, all have left side of tires wearing more than the right. I wouldn’t start a trip on that tire.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Left side tire wear happens because all our left turns are longer than right turns In the USA, and countries that drive in the right, all have left side of tires wearing more than the right. I wouldn’t start a trip on that tire.
And water also goes down the plug hole the other way as well. 😆

·
Registered
389 Posts
Tires wear more on the left because of the camber of the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts